The Gauntlet

This adventure was based on "The Gauntlet" by Graeme Morris from TSR Module #UK3

=============================================================================
April 25, 2004
=============================================================================

Just about the time you've finished identifying all your magical items,
 a messenger appears on your doorstep.  Pengo takes the message, and
 shows it to the rest of the party.  

 It is an invitation for an audience with the Baron.  

 Gathering yourselves together, you arrive at the gate of the palace. 
 You are greeted by your old friend Paulinus.  He shows you the way
 inside.  After waiting in the antechamber for a few moments, you are
 shown into the main hall.  

 The Baron has a grim look on his face.  But he greets you warmly, and
 asks you to sit down at his table.  

 <Baron> I have a problem.  I received word yesterday by messenger that
 one of my castles was under siege.  It is the keep of Adlerweg,
 ironically enough not far from the Berghof area from which you just
 returned.  It seems that some of the wild humanoids living in the
 mountains in the Kamph range have gotten a bit uppity of late, and have
 attacked the keep which has withstood all attempts to take it for the
 past 300 years.  

 <Baron> The messenger was quite distraught, and indicated that much of
 the garrison was killed or driven off.  The garrison was taken
 completely by surprise.  The force of humanoids, consisting mostly of
 gnolls, overran the Garrison within a few hours.  

 <Baron> The messenger couldn't tell me how the humanoids gained entrance
 to the keep, but once inside, they quickly overpowered the small
 garrison that was stationed there.  

 <Baron> I won't bore you with the history of the castle, but since my
 grandfather's time, it has held no significant military purpose.  I
 cannot imagine why anyone would want to take it.  I keep it garrisoned
 with about 20 men more for tradition's sake than for anything else.  

 <Baron> Nevertheless, I am not willing to simply give up a castle within
 my domain.  Furthermore, I must know if there are any survivors in the
 garrison.  I would ask then, if you're willing, to make your way as
 swiftly as possible to this keep, determine what has happened, and if
 possible, expel the invaders.  

 <Baron> I realize that you're not equipped to conduct a siege. 
 Nevertheless, I have enough confidence in your abilities that I have
 hope that you might be able to make your way into the keep undetected,
 and thus surprise the invaders.

 <Baron> Do you think you're up to this challenge? I know it's a lot to
 ask, but I don't know of anyone else that I can trust with this
 mission.  

 The party agrees to the Baron's challenge.

 <Baron> I am already in your debt, but would ask this further boon of
 you for the sake of the people in the barony.  As always, if there is
 any way that we can further you in your task, if it is in our power you
 need only ask.  

<DM> The Baron dismisses you, with warm thanks. 
<Vlix> do we need a guide or map? 
<DM> Lord Darcy gives you a map: 
 
<Mialee> Okay.  Shall we head on out? 
<DM> but basically, the route takes you past Kusnir and Gannaway. 
<Mialee> Isn't Adlerweg where we had to go anyway? 
<DM> As a matter of fact, that IS where the sentinel is guiding you. 
<Mialee> Handy coincidence. 
<Icarius> :) 
<Vlix> nice coincidence. 
<Mialee> Let's make sure Smithson is paid in advance a couple of months, stash
    any heavy items we have, such as spell books, in the house, and head out. 
*** >> <Flint> >> to Flint:  the Sentinel, which you are still wearing, is very
    happy that you're heading out. 
> Mialee lets Smithson know they may be gone for a while and pays him a couple
    of months in advance.
<Vlix> Maybe next time the Baron could arrange to keep our house watched as
    well. 
<Mialee> Mm. 
<Vlix> ...without drawing too much attention to it. 
<Mialee> Maybe. 
<Mialee> Not sure it's necessary. 
<DM> ok, moving on 
<DM> You spend two days traveling back to the Berghof region, and decide to
    spend the night in Kusnir. 
> Mialee checks in with Papa Kurst briefly to say hello and make sure all's
    still well in Kusnir.
<DM> Waking up the next morning quite refreshed, you're having a bit of
    breakfast in the common room of the inn when Papa Kurst bursts in, all   
    excited, and not in a good way. 
<Mialee> Oof. 
<Mialee> Papa Kurst, what's wrong? 
<DM> He seems very anxious. 
<Papa Kurst>  Thank the gods you have returned! We thought 
     that the Blue Devils and the skulks were bad, but they are nothing compared 
     to the hordes that have ravaged the poor people of Gannaway. " 
<Papa Kurst>  They are only simple lumber men, and could not defend themselves against the 
<DM> army of gnolls that came screaming out of the hills to attack the village.
    " 
<DM> "Bill Thorn is the only man that we know to have survived,  and he just
    barely. 
<DM> He came limping into town this morning, battered, bruised and bleeding,
    saying 
<DM> that he barely escaped with his life. " 
<Papa Kurst> "Bill is a lumberjack, and a good one, but he's no soldier.  He said that
    there were more than a hundred of them, the gnolls that is. " 
<Jozlan> wow.  quite an onslaught 
<Mialee> This corresponds with the news we received from the Baron.  We are on
    our way to investigate and put an end to this madness. 
<DM> What's your next move? 
<Jozlan> we should talk to Bill if we can 
<Mialee> Yes. 
<Papa Kurst> "Sure, he has been resting in the inn, here,  but I think he can talk to
    you. " 
<DM> Papa Kurst leads you into the common room  of the inn,   where  you see a
    man reclining on a makeshift bed,  his arm and  head bandaged up. 
<Mialee> Bill, we're on our way to investigate what's going on with the gnolls.
     What happened? 
<DM> Bill says: 
<Bill> They came into town screaming, burning everything in sight.  They hacked
    and slashed everything and everybody within reach, not sparing even the women
    or children.  
<Bill>Some of the men tried to fight, but they were sorely overmatched.  Most
    of them just tried to run, like me.  
<Bill>  I don't know if anybody else made it out. 
<Bill> Most of them were big brutes up with doglike faces.   There was one of
    them, even bigger than the others, that had catlike features.  They had dogs
    with them, huge dogs.   But the most frightening was the leader of the group,
    which was a huge thing, had to be an ogre or a giant. " 
<Mialee> Hm. 
<Mialee> Could you tell the direction they came from? 
<Bill> "they came from the hills -- the Kamph mountain range. 
<Vlix> mein kamph? 
<Vlix> never mind 
> Mialee shoots Vlix an ugly look.
> Jozlan is amused
<Mialee> Thank you for your help, Bill. 
<Mialee> Let's move, guys. 
<Jozlan> we'll pay them back in kind, Bill 
<Mialee> I think our obvious first stop is Gannaway. 
<Bill> "I wish you the best..." 
<Vlix> I'm ready - I know these vermin and hate them. 
<DM> You make your way up the forest road without incident. 
<DM> The village of Gannaway comes into view, but the scene before you is not
    the untroubled one that you recall from your last visit. 
<DM> The village has been ravaged by fire, only parts of the stockade remain 
     standing, the wooden buildings have been reduced to smoldering timbers and
    the few stone buildings are roofless and blackened. You can see several
    corpses lying amongst the ruins. 
> Pengo whistles quietly.
<Pengo> Looks bad. 
<DM> You haven't actually entered the village yet 
> Mialee listens for signs of life.
<DM> The intermittent sound of a dog barking comes from one of the stone
    buildings which still retains parts of its roof. 
<Mialee> How far into town is that building? 
<DM> Halfway down the main street 
> Mialee quietly heads toward the sound of the barking dog, alert for movement.
> Pengo follows quietly.
<Vlix> Why don't we sneak in and scout ahead Pengo? 
<Pengo> Good idea. 
> Mialee stops.
<DM> You investigate the building where you heard the barking. 
<Pengo> Oh. :) 
<Pengo> We're there already. :) 
<Mialee> So, what do we see? :) 
<Jozlan> I've a got a "speak with animals" spell if you want to try it on the
    dog 
<Mialee> That might be a good idea. 
<DM> Peering through the broken door, you see an injured  gnoll,  slumped in
    the corner of the room, with a dog standing by his side, growling at you. 
<Mialee> But let's see if it's one of the attackers' dogs or not first. :) 
<Jozlan> yeah, and if it's alone 
<Mialee> And it is. 
<Mialee> How badly injured is the gnoll? 
<DM>  When he sees you, he struggles to his feet, or rather, his foot.  It
    seems like his right leg and left arm are useless. 
<DM> He is holding a crossbow with his good hand, and has a long dagger in his
    belt. 
<Mialee> If we're not at risk of it attacking, Jozlan should try speaking to
    the dog. 
<Mialee> Ah.  Hm. 
<Mialee> Is the crossbow ready to fire? 
<DM> Yes 
<Jozlan> we could hold the gnoll and interrogate him 
<Mordin> We could just kill the filthy thing! 
<Mialee> Is it pointing the crossbow at us? 
<Mialee> (trying to picture the scene) 
<DM> It's in a semi ready position, as if he is a defensive posture, 
     without wanting to look threatening 
<Vlix> Mialee should be able to speak gnoll 
> Mialee asks the gnoll, "What is your purpose here?"
<Vlix> translation,"yip yip yip yo qaero taco bell..." 
<DM> You can barely understand his guttural speech, but it would seem that he
    does understand the common tongue. 
<Jozlan> hehe 
<Mialee> Vlix: the anachronism machine. 
<Mialee> And he says...? 
<Gnoll> My purpose is just to get out of here.  
<Mialee> Why did you attack this village? 
<Gnoll> Need supplies, food 
<Mialee> This was the only way? 
<Gnoll> Easiest way. 
<Jozlan> ask about the ogre/giant leader 
<Mialee> Who is your leader? 
<Flint> What do you need the supplies and food for? 
<Gnoll> We came down here with Knarl 
<Mialee> Who is Knarl? 
<Mialee> Flint: Probably, you know, to eat and stuff. :) 
<Gnoll> He's an Ogre that lives up in the hills. 
<Mialee> And you do his bidding? 
<Gnoll> Only when there's something in it for us. 
<Mialee> Food and supplies... or something else? 
<Gnoll> my boys ran out on me, the rotten bastards, when I got hurt 
<Flint> Or to supply a growing army organized by the evil the gauntlet needs to
    fight. 
<Gnoll> I don't know nothin' about no gauntlet, but 
<DM>  
<Gnoll> There's a new big leader up in the mountains. An ogrillon, from what I 
<DM> understand.  I've never seen him, but I hears he's got a pretty big
    following. 
<DM>  
<Gnoll> There's another group though, that has been gathering under the
    leadership of 
<DM> a giant.  
<Gnoll> Everyone's talking about making moves into the lowlands here, where the 
<DM> pickins is easy.  
<Mialee> Hm. 
<Vlix> not for much longer mongrel. 
<Mialee> You have to kill everyone in town to steal supplies? 
<Mialee> Why not just take what you need? 
<Gnoll> They didn't like the idea of giving us their food, the stupid people. 
<Vlix> uh, kinda surprised there are corpses - gnolls eat people. 
<Gnoll> first thing they did when came into town was shoot arrows at us 
<DM> made us mad 
<DM> not as many as there were... 
<Jozlan> interesting 
<Mialee> Wouldn't you defend your home if it were attacked? 
<Vlix> to mialee in elvish "you aren't planning to let him go are you?" 
<Mialee> to Vlix in Elvish: "Perhaps.  We might be able to track him." 
<Vlix> "he would go too slow" 
<Vlix> "if he could leave, he'd be gone by now?" 
<Mialee> "Because of his wounds?" 
<Mialee> "We could heal him." 
> Mialee looks at the dog.
<Vlix> "let us look to see if there is already a trail to follow..." 
<Mialee> "Good idea.  Go have a look." 
<Mialee> What's the dog look like? 
<DM> It's just a Big dog. 
> Vlix waves at Pengo and scouts for a trail - if Pengo follows, we try to be
    stealthy.
> Pengo does indeed follow.
<DM> You take a look at the eastern edge of town, 
<DM> and see that the underbrush in the forest is trampled down, but there is
    no single discernable trail. 
> Mialee tells the gnoll, "You realize the baron of these lands is angry about
    this attack, do you not?"
<Gnoll> what do I care about the Baron?  these are our mountains. 
> Mialee shrugs.
<Vlix> The rest of the town has probably been looted - lets return and report. 
> Pengo nods and returns to the party.
> Mialee asks Vlix in Elvish, "So?"
> Mialee looks at Vlix expectantly.
<Vlix> "nothing but some trampling... we need a woodcrafty person to follow the
    trail" 
<Mialee> Flint, could you please cure this gnoll? 
<Vlix> "but I assume the direction of the raiders is the same as ours..." 
<Flint> If he will let me. 
<Mialee> We're going to let you go.  You're no threat to us, and I don't feel
    like killing a creature just for the hell of it. 
<Vlix> BIND HIM FIRST? 
<DM> He seems very cautious, but willing to accept your aid. 
<Vlix> oh never mind 
<Mialee> Go ahead, Flint. 
> Mialee keeps her hand on her sword, just in case.
> Flint approaches the Gnoll.
<DM> he tenses a bit. 
> Flint casts Cure Light Wounds on the Gnoll.
<DM> is Flint carrying a weapon? 
<DM> guess not 
<Gnoll> Thank-you.  You are letting me go? 
<Mialee> Yes. 
> Vlix watches in amazement... 
> Mialee steps aside.
<Flint> Not in hand. 
*** Roll by Flint: 1D4+4 -> 3 + 4 = 7
<DM> He trots outside, 
> Jozlan wonders if it was for the best
> Pengo is prepared to follow him silently.
<DM> and leaves the village, with his dog in trail 
<Mordin> We can kill him later when he can put up a better fight. 
<Pengo> :) 
<Jozlan> hehe :) 
<DM> he's going at too rapid a pace for Pengo to follow silently 
<Vlix> yah - saw that coming. 
<Pengo> OK, then we just follow him. 
<DM> in fact, he's going at too rapid a pace for Pengo to follow at all. 
<Mialee> Grr. 
<Vlix> now he'll just warn his pack that we're coming. 
<Mialee> Vlix, you said he couldn't move very fast. :) 
<Mialee> Can any of us keep up? :) 
<DM> not before you cured him. :) 
<DM> sure, the taller ones could 
<Mialee> Well, Vlix seemed concerned that he wouldn't move fast enough at all.
    :) 
<Mialee> Dammit. 
<Vlix> no.. you misunderstood. when he was wounded, he couldn't leave. 
<Mordin> Well, this way we won't have to hunt for the pack. 
<Mialee> There ya go :) 

<DM> Ok, then, you're in town. what's your next move? 
<Vlix> Well I don't think we have a choice - lets follow the dingo. 
<DM> Ok, so you head to the edge of town, and try to find the trail of the
    gnoll. 
<Vlix> is the direction he took in the same direction as the keep? 
<DM> not exactly, 
<DM> Unfortunately, since none of you have any tracking capability, you soon
    lose his trail in the generally torn up underbrush 
<DM> the trail to the keep, as shown on your map, is in a different direction
    then the gnoll took 
<Vlix> then we'll proceed to the keep 
<Mordin> Gauntlet: Which way is the Keep? 
<Flint> Good question, I'll ask it. 
*** >> <Flint> >> to Flint:  the SENTINEL informs you that the keep is up the
    trail 
*** >> <Flint> >> to Flint:  it's a good day's walk 
*** << <Flint> << Thank you Sentinel. 
*** >> <Flint> >> to Flint:  The sentinel urges you to take the trail, and
    discover what is up at the keep. 
<Flint> The keep is about a good days walk up the trail. 
<Vlix> that's where we should go next 
<Icarius> I agree 
<DM> You set off into the forest at the edge of town, following the river Gann, 
<DM> which is on your left.  The road you are on is a narrow track, fairly
    smooth 
<DM> and wide enough to handle a merchant's cart. 
<Flint> The Sentinel wants us to check it out. 
<Vlix> and be on the lookout, the gnolls know we're here now. 
<DM> After an hour or so, you emerge from the woods and the path starts to
    rise. 
<DM> You see the full grandeur of the Kamph mountains ahead of you. 
     They are rugged and intimidating.  This sky is clear, and the air is
    brisk.  Of all of you, only the dwarves feel really at home here. 
<DM> Your progress is slow but steady. 
<DM> Soon after leaving the forest, as you climb into the mountains, you find 
     yourselves on a ledge, partly natural and otherwise hewn, which has an
    even, level surface. 
<DM> The track wanders around, following the terrain so as to make the
    smoothest and most gradual slope up into the mountain pass. 
<DM>  Its width varies between 10 and 20 feet, and its height above the river
    ranges from a few feet to several hundred. 
<DM> The mountains soar thousands of feet above the track. 
<Mordin> How old is the stonework of the ledge? 
<DM> there is no stonework on the ledge, per se.  the road surface looks pretty
    old originally several hundred years old. 
<DM> sorry, yeah, the 'hewn ledge' looks at least several hundred years old. 
<Vlix> keep going 
<DM>  
<DM> Around midmorning, as you take a short break, you find yourself staring at
    a group of hawks circling above you. 
<DM> Suddenly, they dive to attack! 
<DM> ------------------------------------ 
<DM> Round 1: Spellcasters, what will you cast this round? 
<Vlix> mm 
<Icarius> wait, std size hawks? 
*** Roll by Vlix: 1d4+1 -> 3 + 1 = 4
<DM> size is a little larger than normal hawks, but not much bigger than a
    normal eagle 
<Icarius> is there anything useful to cast web with? 
<DM> no, it's open air 
<DM> any other spells? 
<DM> Initiative. 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 3
<Vlix> who's rolling? 
*** Roll by Flint: 1D6 -> 6
<DM> you may as well. 
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d6 -> 6
<DM> or Joz  :) 
<DM> or Flint 
<Jozlan> I don't think it matters :) 
<Flint> Go ahead Joz.:) 
<DM> ok, any missiles?  Mialee takse a shot.  Vlix, why don't you do Mialee's
    rolls? 
<DM> with her bow 
*** Roll by Vlix: 1d20 -> 19
*** Roll by Vlix: 1d20 -> 11
<DM> both hit, but the second after their attacks. roll damage for the first. 
*** Roll by Vlix: 1d6 -> 5
*** Roll by Vlix: 1d6 -> 4
<DM> the one flutters to the side, 
<DM> are there any other missile attacks? 
<DM> There are eight of them total, and they each pick one of you to attack. 
<DM> they close in, except for the one that mialee hit 
<DM> and you can attack. 
> Flint attacks with his Battle Axe.
> Jozlan attacks with his hammer
*** Roll by Flint: 1D20 -> 16
<Jozlan> baseball style 
<DM> FLint hit 
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d20 -> 14
<DM> Jozlan hit 
*** Roll by Flint: 1D8 -> 1
> Mordin attacks with his Battle Axe.
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d8 -> 1
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 3
<DM> Pengo attacks with his shortsword. 
<DM> Flint, please roll for Pengo. 
*** Roll by Flint: 1D20 -> 3
<DM> a miss. 
<DM> ok, they attack 
<DM> Although they appeared to be normal Hawks, these creatures have incredibly 
<DM> sharp and strong talons, and wickedly sharp beaks. 
<DM> they attack three times, with two talons and  their beaks. 
<DM> On Flint: 
*** Roll by DM: 3d20 -> 8 + 3 + 2 = 13
<DM> on Mordin 
*** Roll by DM: 3d20 -> 8 + 8 + 16 = 32
<DM> one hit 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 1
<DM> on Mordin 
<DM> on Mialee 
*** Roll by DM: 3d20 -> 20 + 11 + 19 = 50
<DM> 2 hits 
*** Roll by DM: 1d4 -> 3
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 4
<DM> on Pengo 
*** Roll by DM: 3d20 -> 2 + 4 + 6 = 12
<DM> on Icarius 
*** Roll by DM: 3d20 -> 14 + 20 + 4 = 38
*** Roll by DM: 2d4 -> 2 + 3 = 5
<DM> on Jozlan 
*** Roll by DM: 3d20 -> 3 + 2 + 8 = 13
<DM> on Vlix 
*** Roll by DM: 3d20 -> 4 + 20 + 3 = 27
*** Roll by DM: 1d4 -> 1
<DM> everybody got that? 
<DM> Mialee's second arrow brings down the first bird. 
<DM> ok, Round 2.   Magic? 
<Vlix> sk 
<Vlix> oops 
<DM> No magic?  Then initiative 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 5
<Vlix> sorry - mm 
<DM> ok 
*** Roll by Vlix: 1d4+1 -> 2 + 1 = 3
*** Roll by Vlix: 1d20 -> 14
<Vlix> sorry - waiting to init 
<DM> I need an initiative roll 
<Flint> Joz... 
*** Roll by Vlix: 1d6 -> 3
<DM> ok, Vlix, you get off your magic missile, and the one attacking you drops. 
<DM> Mialee will change weapons this round, hauling out her sword. 
<DM> but they attack first. 
<DM> On FLint: 
*** Roll by DM: 3d20 -> 5 + 17 + 18 = 40
*** Roll by DM: 1d4 -> 3
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 5
<DM> on Mordin: 
*** Roll by DM: 3d20 -> 11 + 4 + 12 = 27
<DM> on Mialee 
*** Roll by DM: 3d20 -> 8 + 6 + 3 = 17
<DM> on Pengo 
*** Roll by DM: 3d20 -> 17 + 17 + 16 = 50
*** Roll by DM: 1d4 -> 2
*** Roll by DM: 1d4 -> 1
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 5
<DM> on Jozlan 
*** Roll by DM: 3d20 -> 20 + 5 + 1 = 26
*** Roll by DM: 1d4 -> 2
<DM> on Icarius 
*** Roll by DM: 3d20 -> 4 + 18 + 9 = 31
*** Roll by DM: 1d4 -> 3
<DM> that's it.   Your attacks 
> Vlix switches to sw+dag this round
<DM> ok, Vlix, swing for Pengo 
*** Roll by Vlix: 1d20 -> 19
<DM> hit 
<Vlix> he's got a dagger? or a shtswd? 
<DM> short swd 
<DM> d6 
*** Roll by Vlix: 1d6 -> 4
<DM> ok, next? 
*** Room 8: Dungeon
    DM, DMShadow, Flint, Icarius, Mordin, Vlix, Jozlan
*** Roll by Flint: 1D20 -> 18
<DM> hit 
*** Roll by Flint: 1D8 -> 6
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 20
<Mordin> BA# 
<DM> Flint blasts the thing out of the sky 
<Jozlan> nice 
<Vlix> wha? with dwarven halitosis? 
<DM> Mordin's mighty axe slices one of them in two. 
<Vlix> sorry elf joke 
> Jozlan swings
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d20 -> 9
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D8+6 -> 5 + 6 = 11
<DM> no 
<DM> Jozlan missed. 
<DM> Icarius? 
> Icarius hides
<DM> ok, then, next round.  Magic? 
<DM> there are 4 of them left 
<DM> initiative, then. 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 6
*** Roll by DM: 4d7 -> 7 + 4 + 4 + 2 = 17
*** Roll by Vlix: 1d20 -> 8
<DM> initiative roll? 
<Vlix> my bad = hit the wrong keys. grr 
*** Roll by Vlix: 1d6 -> 4
<DM> They get it, and attack Vlix, Pengo, Pengo and Mordin 
<DM> on Vlix 
*** Roll by DM: 3d20 -> 16 + 20 + 10 = 46
*** Roll by DM: 1d4 -> 1
*** Roll by DM: 1d4 -> 1
<Vlix> lucky me 
<DM> on Pengo 
*** Roll by DM: 6d20 -> 17 + 11 + 19 + 20 + 9 + 5 = 81
*** Roll by DM: 3d4 -> 4 + 2 + 3 = 9
<DM> They carve him up bad 
<DM> on Mordin 
*** Roll by DM: 3d20 -> 12 + 9 + 3 = 24
*** Roll by DM: 1d4 -> 4
<DM> Your attacks 
<Vlix> Vlix 1st attack with lng swd 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 12
*** Roll by Vlix: 1d20 -> 3
<Vlix> Mialee 
*** Roll by Vlix: 1d20 -> 11
<Vlix> ? 
<DM> MOrdin hits 
<Vlix> and Pengo... 
*** Roll by Vlix: 1d20 -> 10
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D8+6 -> 1 + 6 = 7
<DM> Mialee hits 
*** Roll by Vlix: 1d8 -> 5
<DM> mordin's target bursts asunder. 
> Flint casts Cure Light Wounds on Pengo.
<DM> Vlix slices the head off another 
<Vlix> no Mialee 
<Vlix> or was it? 
<Vlix> no, Mialee - I rolled a 3 
<Flint> Or do I have to wait for next round for that? 
<DM> I'll let that go, Flint 
<DM> go ahead and roll the CLW, Flint.  Jozlan, roll to hit. 
*** Roll by Flint: 1D4+4 -> 2 + 4 = 6
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d20 -> 18
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d8 -> 7
<DM> Jozlan's hammer crushes the head of his attacker. 
<DM> There's one left. 
<DM> Next Round.   Spells? 
<Vlix> not me 
<DM> initiative, then. 
<Flint> Who looks the worst for wear? 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 5
<DM> Pengo is still the worst, I think. 
*** Roll by Vlix: 1d6 -> 6
> Flint casts Cure Light Wounds on Pengo.
<Vlix> Vlix didn't get his 2nd attack so he'll use the dagger this round.. 
*** Roll by Vlix: 1d20+2 -> 11 + 2 = 13
*** Roll by Vlix: 1d6+2 -> 2 + 2 = 4
<DM> you can use both this round. 
<Vlix> oops 
*** Roll by Vlix: 1d4+2 -> 4 + 2 = 6
*** Roll by Vlix: 1d20 -> 7
<Vlix> thats probably it. 
*** >> <Vlix> >> to Vlix:  +2?  What's that for? 
<Vlix> ok, both weapons missed. 
<Vlix> Mialee 
*** Roll by Vlix: 1d20 -> 14
*** Roll by Vlix: 1d8 -> 3
<Vlix> Pengo 
*** Roll by Vlix: 1d20 -> 10
<Vlix> ? 
<DM> never mind, the last bird is gone. 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 6
*** Roll by Flint: 1D4+4 -> 1 + 4 = 5
> Jozlan casts cl on icarius
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d4+2 -> 4 + 2 = 6
<DM> Damage in Hit Points: 
<DM> Flint     -8 
<DM> Mordin    -5 
<DM> Mialee    -7 
<DM> Pengo     -6 
<DM> Icarius   -2 
<DM> Jozlan    -2 
<DM> Vlix      -3 
<DM> You're pretty banged up. 
> Flint casts Cure Light Wounds on Mialee
<Vlix> glad they weren't gnolls... we'd be dead. 
*** Roll by Flint: 1D4+4 -> 1 + 4 = 5
<DM> The birds seem to have come from a ledge approximately 120 ft. above the
    trail 
<DM> you're on. 
<Vlix> does the trail wind that way? Hawks might have collected shiny things in
    their nests. 
> Flint casts Cure Light Wounds on Pengo
*** Roll by Flint: 1D4+4 -> 3 + 4 = 7
> Jozlan casts cl on flint
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d4+2 -> 3 + 2 = 5
<Flint> That's it for my healing spells. 
<Flint> Thanks Joz. 
<Jozlan> I have 2 more 
> Jozlan cast cl on mordin
<DM> Correct me if I'm wrong:  These are your full hit points, right? 
<DM> Flint     29 
<DM> Mordin    20 
<DM> Mialee    19 
<DM> Pengo     20 
<DM> Icarius   16 
<DM> Jozlan    18 
<DM> Vlix      14 
<DM>  
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d4+2 -> 4 + 2 = 6
<Mordin> Thanks Joz. 
<DM> Damage in Hit Points: 
<DM> Flint     -3 
<DM> Mordin     0 
<DM> Mialee    -2 
<DM> Pengo      0 
<DM> Icarius   -2 
<DM> Jozlan    -2 
<DM> Vlix      -3 
<DM>  The rock face is nearly vertical but those with climbing skills could
    probably climb it. 
<DM> Pengo is certainly ready to give it a try. 
<Flint> Be careful. 
<DM> Unless anyone else has another idea, he's going to try it. 
<Jozlan> go for it! 
<Vlix> humm, if we wanted to wait, I could learn a spell that might help....
    otherwise, let him do it. 
<Vlix> do I need to roll % 
<DM> he starts to climb 
<DM>  It takes him over 10 minutes to get to the top. 
<DM> He yells down that he's found something interesting, and spends another 15
    minutes rummaging around up there. 
<DM> you finally see him start down. 
> DM rolls %
*** Private roll: 1d100 -> 68
<DM> he makes it down safely, and shows you a handful of gems that he found
    scattered about the 5 or so nests up at the top. 
<DM> They vary in type and quality, but Pengo's experience in fencing 
      goods tells him that the total value is approximately 1800 
      gold pieces. 
<Vlix> ah, worth every bit of it. 
<Vlix> into the bag they go. 
<Flint> Any Eggs in the nests? 
<Vlix> is that all of them Pengo? 
<Jozlan> :) 
<DM> pengo looks at Vlix:  Of course! 
<DM> no eggs 
<Flint> Good. 
<Vlix> thats ok, I like these "eggs" better. lets continue. 
<DM> you continue on up tha path, and get to the point where it corsses the
    River Gann, when evening starts to fall.  It's about 5PM 
<DM> Mialee suggests finding a place to camp for the night. 
<Vlix> how much further do we think there is to go? 
<DM> probably a couple hours' march. 
<Flint> We need to rest and recover spells and HP. 
<Vlix> ok, we should arrive there fresh - battle may be afoot in the morning. 
<Vlix> lets camp 
<Vlix> I'll take 1st watch, then read my spellbook. 
<DM> Frankly, there's not much cover to be found on this trail, but you do find
    one spot where the trail cuts into the hillside, leaving a small open area. 
<Vlix> lets do it. 
<DM> Vlix, You mean: You'll take first watch, then REST, then read your
    spellbook. 
<Vlix> sure 
<Jozlan> I have 1 cl left, anyone want it now? 
<Vlix> if you're going to burn it, give it to a fighter. 
<DM> Vlix or Flint 
> Jozlan casts cl on vlix
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d4+2 -> 3 + 2 = 5
> Vlix feels perky
<Vlix> Thanks - I'm maxed out now. 
<Jozlan> and then some :) 
*** << <Vlix> << I opt for 1x mm, 1x shk grasp, 1x invis 
<DM> ok, during pengo's shift, he hears some movement coming donw the trail. 
    He quietly wakes the rest of you. 
<Vlix> hows the moon? 
<DM> the moon is half full 
<DM> he's not sure, but he thought he heard some talking. 
> Icarius listens carefully
<DM> he didn't recognize the language, and it was too far away. 
<DM> Icarius can't recognize the language either. 
> Flint listens.
> Vlix will steathily creep up the trail, Pengo too if he will follow.
<Jozlan> maybe mialee could recognize it 
*** Roll by Vlix: 1d100 -> 73
<Vlix> ack! 
*** Roll by Vlix: 1d100 -> 14
<Vlix> we're scouting... 
<DM> in the moonlight, you see a group of 4 goblins riding on huge wolves just
    ambling down the path, chatting away.. they are about 60 feet from your
    scouting position. 
<DM> they look like pretty big goblins, though. 
<Vlix> how wide is the path? 
<Vlix> and it's a ledge, right? 
<DM> the path is about 15 ft wide 
<DM> they're still approaching, about 30 ft away from you, and about 90 ft from
    your main party 
<Vlix> ok, back to the party - once there, we ready for missle combat. 
<Vlix> Vlix switches to sling 
<Vlix> Mialee to bow 
<DM> remember that at this point, you have NOT recovered any spells. 
<Vlix> "Goblins on wolves coming this way..." quietly. 
<Mordin> Classic ambush situation, too bad we don't have the communications
    skills to set it up. 
<Vlix> 4 ea 
<Flint> Maybe we want to hide and let them go by. 
<Vlix> We might startle them and force them off the cliff, maybe not. 
<Vlix> Goblins can see in the dark, and where is there to hide and we don't
    have time. 
<DM> The place you are in offeres no concealment, Flint 
<DM> ok, they approach to within missile range. 
<Flint> Then we will have to fight. 
<Vlix> I say be ambush them with a yell and scare them off the path if possible
    while the missle players shoot. 
> Flint switches to crossbow.
> Jozlan casts bless
<DM> They are within missile range.  Are you engaging them? 
<Vlix> agreed? 
<Flint> Yes. 
<Jozlan> sounds good 
*** Roll by DM: 1d2 -> 2
<Vlix> was that for surprise? 
<DM> you automatically get the first initiative, but they are not surprised. 
<DM> yes, you don't need to roll for surprise 
<DM> so fire your missiles. 
*** Roll by Flint: 1D20 -> 11
<Vlix> Vlix attacks with sling on a goblin 
<Icarius> I think a sleep spell might be better 
*** Roll by Vlix: 2d20 -> 7 + 16 = 23
<Vlix> dangit 
<DM> when you attack, please give me a number, too. 
> Icarius csts sleep
<Vlix> the roll is kinda limited logic-wise. 
<DM> Flint hits 
> Flint attacks Goblin 1
<Vlix> On goblin #1 
*** Roll by Flint: 1D4 -> 1
<Vlix> we need to set an attack order. 
<DM> vlix, both hit 
*** Roll by Vlix: 1d6+2 -> 1 + 2 = 3
*** Roll by Vlix: 1d6+2 -> 3 + 2 = 5
<Flint> A d6 + 2 for a sling? 
<Vlix> isn't a stone d6? 
<Vlix> or is it d4? 
<DM> Vlix just beans his goblin, and it rolls off the back of it's wolf, stone
    dead. 
<DM> yeah, that should be a d4, Vlix 
*** Roll by Vlix: 1d4+2 -> 2 + 2 = 4
*** Roll by Vlix: 1d4+2 -> 4 + 2 = 6
<Vlix> HA! 
<Vlix> same difference 
<DM> d6+1 agains large, though 
<Vlix> and then some 
<Vlix> geez - take either one and tell me what I need to roll. 
<DM> meanwhile, Icarius' sleep spell goes into effect: 
*** Roll by DM: 2d4 -> 1 + 3 = 4
<DM> all of the goblins roll off their wolves, and one of the wolves slumps to
    the ground. 
<Icarius> cool 
<DM> The other 3 wolves charge, however. 
<Flint> Good choice Icarius. 
<Vlix> any more missles/magic? 
<DM> Mialee fires 2 arrows: 
*** Roll by DM: 2d20 -> 6 + 19 = 25
<DM> hits one wolf 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 5
<DM> wolf #1 
<DM> OK, round #1:  The wolves are closing.  Missile users can switch weapons
    and lose the initiative, or keep the weapons and roll for initiative 
<Vlix> lets keep 'em 
<DM> Mialee will choose to switch 
<DM> ok, then roll for initiative 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 1
*** Roll by Vlix: 1d6 -> 2
<Vlix> <snicker> 
> Flint will switch weapon.
*** Roll by Vlix: 1d20+2 -> 3 + 2 = 5
*** Roll by Vlix: 1d20+2 -> 17 + 2 = 19
<Vlix> am I rolling a d4 or a d6+1? 
<DM> one hit, Vlix 
<DM> but it comes AFTER their attacks 
<DM> d6+1 
<Vlix> we won init and I didn't switch? 
<DM> I thought you said you wanted to keep your sling. 
<Vlix> oh, you're using weapon speed. ok - yes, you're right. 
<Vlix> sorry - I don't mean to seem argumentive. I don't have the books anymore
    and doing alot from memory. 
<DM> they are attacking _ who is standing up to them? 
<DM> that's quite alright. 
<Mordin> I am. 
<Flint> So am I. 
<Jozlan> I will 
<Vlix> I am 
<DM> Mordin can swing, as can Jozlan. 
<DM> Pengo is going to try to hide in shadows. 
> Mordin attacks with his Battle Axe.
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 4
<DM> miss :( 
<DM> Jozlan? 
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d20 -> 8
<DM> nope 
<DM> Ok, their attacks are on: 
*** Roll by DM: 3d5 -> 1 + 3 + 5 = 9
<DM> Flint, Mialee and Vlix 
*** Roll by DM: 3d20 -> 15 + 11 + 12 = 38
<DM> all 3 hit 
<DM> Flint takes 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 6
<DM> whoops, wrong 
<DM> .2d4 
*** Roll by DM: 2d4 -> 1 + 3 = 4
<DM> Mialee takes 
*** Roll by DM: 2d4 -> 2 + 2 = 4
<DM> Vlix takes 
*** Roll by DM: 2d4 -> 3 + 2 = 5
<DM> Now the rest can swing, and Vlix's second stone takes effect 
> Flint attacks with his Battle Axe.
*** Roll by Vlix: 1d6+3 -> 2 + 3 = 5
*** Roll by Flint: 1D20 -> 8
<Vlix> whichever one bit me. 
<DM> Flint: miss 
<DM> Mialee swings her Longsword 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 18
<DM> and hits! 
*** Roll by DM: 1d12 -> 5
<DM> Pengo sneaks around the area of combat 
<DM> I think that's it, right? 
<DM> ok, any other magic going on for the next round? 
> Icarius casts mm
<DM> at which wolf? 
<Icarius> #1 
<DM> ok, initiative, 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 4
*** Roll by Vlix: 1d6 -> 5
<DM> good job  :) 
*** >> <Vlix> >> to Vlix:  you can switch weapons OR cast a spell this round 
<Vlix> still 3 wolves? 
<DM> yes 
> Mordin attacks wolf 1.
<DM> you can go ahead and swing 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 16
<DM> hit 
> Vlix switches weapons
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D8+6 -> 4 + 6 = 10
> Flint attacks wolf 2.
*** Roll by Flint: 1D20 -> 3
<DM> The wolf #1 yelps in pain and anger 
> Jozlan attacls wolf 2
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d20 -> 9
<DM> no hit Joz 
<DM> Mialee swings mightily at W#2 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 6
<DM> well, not so mightily 
<DM> how 'bout that Magic Missile? 
<DM> remember you get 2 missiles. 
*** Roll by Icarius: 1d4+1 -> 1 + 1 = 2
*** Roll by Icarius: 1d4+1 -> 4 + 1 = 5
<DM> and Wolf number one coughs up some blood and dies. 
<Vlix> eeew! 
<DM> #s 2 & 3 are still at it though. 
<DM> They attack 
*** Roll by DM: 2d5 -> 4 + 2 = 6
<DM> Mordin and Jozlan 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 8
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 20
<DM> hits Jozlan 
*** Roll by DM: 2d4 -> 2 + 4 = 6
<DM> Pengo skewers the sleeping wolf. 
<DM> next round.  Magic? 
> Icarius casts mm on #3
<DM> Initiative: 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 2
*** Roll by Vlix: 1d6 -> 6
<DM> you got it. 
<DM> Pengo skewers a goblin 
<DM> Mialee swings again, at Wolf #2 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 13
<DM> hitting 
*** Roll by DM: 1d12 -> 4
> Mordin attacks wolf 3.
<DM> Y'all can fire away 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 19
<Vlix> Vlix #1 attack, on wolf #2 
*** Roll by Vlix: 1d20 -> 15
<DM> both hit 
<Vlix> these are lg? 
<DM> yes 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D8+6 -> 3 + 6 = 9
> Flint attacks wolf 2.
> Jozlan attacks #2
<Jozlan> roll 1d20 
*** Roll by Vlix: 1d12 -> 12
*** Roll by Flint: 1D20 -> 13
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d20 -> 9
<Vlix> 12 damage on #2 
<DM> Flint and Vlix hit 
*** Roll by Flint: 1D8 -> 8
<DM> oh, duh.  #2 drops like a rock 
<DM> Icarius, your MM? 
> Vlix feels the Drow in him...
*** Roll by Icarius: 1d4+1 -> 4 + 1 = 5
*** Roll by Icarius: 1d4+1 -> 4 + 1 = 5
<DM> And #3 heaves to the ground, dead. 
<DM>  
<Vlix> once battle concludes, Vlix presses forward and helps Pengo dispatch the
    remaining enemy. 
<DM> As you stand there recovering your breath, Pengo skewers another goblin. 
<DM> and they are quickly taken care of. 
<Flint> Save one for questioning. 
<DM> Sorry, too late. 
<DM> Pengo starts looting the bodies of the goblins. 
<Mordin> Oh well, guess we might as well go back to sleep. 
<Vlix> Vlix and Pengo exchange glances and shrug their shoulders and begin
    looting. 
<Vlix> ...er, searching the bodies. 
<Flint> Anything interesting? 
<DM> they find some loose change: 
<DM> about 60 gp in mixed coinage 
<DM> and one of the goblins had a belt pouch with a nicely wrought sliver and
    gold clasp worth about 250gp. 
<Vlix> in the bag it goes. 
<Vlix> anything in the pouch aside from the change? 
<DM> No 
<Vlix> lets get back to resting... throw the bodies off the cliff. 
<Jozlan> yeah 
<DM> The rest of the night passes uneventfully 
<DM> you wake up to a chilly clear morning. 
<DM> Current Damage in Hit Points: 
<DM> Flint     -6 
<DM> Mordin     0 
<DM> Mialee    -5 
<DM> Pengo      0 
<DM> Icarius   -1 
<DM> Jozlan    -7 
<DM> Vlix      -4 
<Vlix> did we get enough rest for spells 
<DM> yes you did. 
<DM> in fact, by 6AM or so, you've had enough rest for spells. 
> Jozlan casts cl on himself and flint
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d4+4 -> 3 + 4 = 7
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d4+4 -> 3 + 4 = 7
<Flint> Joz: you burn 2 CL's and I'll burb 3.  That should get us back to full
    hp's. 
> Flint casts Cure Light Wounds on Mialee.
*** Roll by Flint: 1D4+4 -> 1 + 4 = 5
> Flint casts Cure Light Wounds on Vlix.
*** Roll by Flint: 1D4+4 -> 3 + 4 = 7
<DM> The only one down at all is Icarius, and that by only 1 pt 
<Jozlan> he'll be fine 
<Flint> and his max is? 
<Vlix> Thanks Flint 
<Jozlan> 14 
<Flint> Your call Icarius. 
<Icarius> we'll need it later 
<Icarius> i'll survive 
<Flint> Let me know if you deop below half. 
<Flint> drop 
<Flint> That goes for any body else as well. 
<Vlix> and preferably before you drop. 
<Vlix> literally. 
<Jozlan> shall we continue on then? 
<Mordin> Although, dropping is a clear indication that you need healing. :) 
<Vlix> hehehe... yes, on we go. 
<Flint> Yes, lets continue. 
<Vlix> usual marching order I assue, 
<Vlix> assume 
<DM> You continue up the trail, and toward the mid afternoon, you come around a
    turn in the path and see the keep from a distance 
    


<Vlix> anyway to approach without being seen? 
<DM> At your current distance, there's not much danger of that. 
<DM> The track still winds around the spurs of the mountains. 
<DM> although I don't know what they might have for forward sentries, etc. 
<Vlix> if we approach by day, the gnolls/goblins will be less active but we'll
    be seen, by night they'll be most active. 
<Vlix> anyone have any opinions? 
<Flint> Since we have humans in the party, we should go in by day. 
<DM> The width of the track varies between 15 and 20 feet, and it is about 200
    feet 
<DM> above the river here. The mountain spur on which the Keep stands rises
    several 
<DM> hundred feet above the track. 
<Vlix> alright, but we should stay close to the path wall if we can. lets go 
<DM> As you round a bond in the pass, a daunting fortress comes into view. Its
    lofty 
<DM> bulk clings grimly to a steep sided mountain spur on the eastern side of
    the 
<DM> pass and the track you have been following runs directly beneath its
    walls. 
*** << <Flint> << Sentinel: What do you know about the layout of the Keep? 
<Vlix> do we see anyone manning the walls? 
<Sentinel>  My most noble friends, there stands the Keep of Adlerweg.
     In defense of its walls, a garrison of a hundred men might destroy an army
     of thousands, but it was my purpose to defend the Keep against the one force
     it could not withstand - the sorcerous wrath of the Gauntlet.But it seems
     that I have failed in this purpose, for I sense that the Gauntlet has
     captured the Keep and is firmly installed within its walls. Yet the Keep
     still stands, and while it does we may yet recapture it and destroy the
     Gauntlet's evil power. 
 
<Sentinel>   The Keep is, no doubt, well garrisoned and to attack it
     openly would be to invite a quick death. There is a better way, however,
     since my powers include that of opening the magically locked gates of the Keep. 
 
<Sentinel>  If you follow the track, and are lucky enough to avoid the eyes of those who
     may be watching, you will come to the Keep's lower gates. These will open at
     the touch of the one who bears me, and beyond are chambers where you will
     find a stairway leading up into the heart of the Keep. The creature who
     bears the Gauntlet lurks high in the tower - seek him out and my destiny
     will be fulfilled. 

<Sentinel>  Ignore the path which runs upwards from the track to the
     Keep's upper gate since this will surely be well guarded and not even my
     powers will open it for you. 

<Sentinel>  Make haste, for who knows what evil is being wrought there
     even now? From this point onwards I must remain silent. Though my other
     powers will remain available to you, I dare not speak into your minds for
     fear that the Gauntlet will sense my coming.

<Sentinel>   May good fortune go with you. 

<DM> You're still a good mile from the keep as the path wanders 
<DM> So, are you moving on, or... 
<Jozlan> lets 
<Flint> Do we have any other options? 
<Flint> Any spells to help hide us? 
<Flint> Okay. 
<DM> ok, what's your next move? 
<Icarius> maybe we should send pengo sneaking a little in front of the party 
<Flint> Him and anyone else with stealth capability. 
<DM> Pengo says he could scout up a bit. 
<DM> He sneaks his way up the path, and disappears around a bend. 
> Vlix will scout also
*** Roll by Vlix: 1d100 -> 95
<Vlix> oof 
<DM> Vlix's dark skin stands in bold contrast to the whitish stone of the
    mountainside. 
<Vlix> I've got real dice that aren't this bad to me. 
<Vlix> ok, I'll wait. 
<DM> but he sees Pengo some bit ahead of him. 
<DM> and then he disappears again. 
<DM> 10 minutes go by 
<DM> another 10 minutes. 
> Vlix waits for Pengo... worrying.
<DM> another 10 minutes go by 
<DM> remember, it's still a mile to the keep 
<DM> another 10 minutes go by, and Pengo slips back around the corner into
    view. 
<Flint> We could advance slowly ... 
<DM> "The keep is up there, alright.  I didn't see any guards anywhere, but I
    head some voices.  They sounded like they were having a party. 
<DM> heard some voices.  " 
<Mordin> Did you get to the lower door? 
<DM> No, I didn't go that far. 
<DM> I didn't see anybody on the path, either. 
<Flint> Let's advance as far as you got and have you sout from there. 
<Vlix> lets try to get there then, maybe they're too busy patting themselves on
    the back. 
<Flint> have you scout 
<DM> You continue up the path, and the keep appears and disappears from view as
    the 
<DM> track winds around the spurs of the mountainside. 
<DM> Eventually, after about 3/4 mile, you come to a spot with a full view of
    the keep again: 
   

<DM> If you were a bird, it might look something like this: 
    

<DM> You are at position (1) 

<DM> The sentinel reiterates what he said before: 
<Sentinel>  If you follow the track, and are lucky enough to avoid the eyes of those who
     may be watching, you will come to the Keep's lower gates. These will open at
     the touch of the one who bears me, and beyond are chambers where you will
     find a stairway leading up into the heart of the Keep. The creature who
     bears the Gauntlet lurks high in the tower - seek him out and my destiny
     will be fulfilled. 

<Sentinel>  Ignore the path which runs upwards from the track to the
     Keep's upper gate since this will surely be well guarded and not even my
     powers will open it for you. 

<Sentinel>  Make haste, for who knows what evil is being wrought there
     even now? From this point onwards I must remain silent. Though my other
     powers will remain available to you, I dare not speak into your minds for
     fear that the Gauntlet will sense my coming.

<Sentinel>   May good fortune go with you. 
*** >> <Flint> >> to Flint:  do you remember the powers of the Sentinel? 
*** << <Flint> << No. 
*** >> <Flint> >> 
    1. The wearer may automatically open the magically locked gates of 
       the undercroft below the Keep of Adlerweg. 
    2. The Sentinel has the effect of a permanent protection from evil 10' radius 
       spell cast upon the wearer. 
    3. The wearer has a total resistance to magically induced fear. All 
        friends and allies of the wearer within 10 feet of the Sentinel have a +2
        bonus on saving throws against magical fear. 

<Vlix> thats a path down to the river around the bend? 
<DM> No, there's no path to the river. 
<DM> the thing with the stripes IS the river 
<DM> the thing you're seeing I think is just a crevasse 
<DM> ok 
<DM> so.  what next? 
<Vlix> nothing obvious to me - lets try the lower gate though I hate to work my
    way up. 
<Vlix> "Pengo, which way were the voices?" 
<Pengo> "up in the windows above" 
<Jozlan> you can't sleep them w/o being able to see them, I suppose 
<Flint> Let's try and move as quitely as possible. 
<DM> you don't have that kind of range anyway 
<Vlix> ok, tippy-toes it is. 
<DM> You move up the path until you get to the spot marked (2) 
<DM> A narrow path branches off from the track, The track remains level but the
    path 
<DM> slopes upwards towards the Keep, suggesting access through an upper gate. 
<DM> Occasional snatches of raucous laughter and discordant song drift to your
    ears. 
<DM> When you approach to the point shown as (2) on the map, your view of the
    keep is like: 
       

<DM> From here the party can make out several details of the Keep's
    construction. 
<DM> The parapetted platform (area 10) may clearly be seen, supported by sheer
    walls 
<DM> which rise from the trackway. The lower gates (area 4) are obscured by the 
<DM> octagonal  buttresses and there are no signs of movement from behind the 
<DM> parapet. Rising from the rear of the platform, the tower-like upper part
    of the 
<DM> Keep can be seen, set against the mountain spur and having octagonal
    corner 
<DM> towers which extend up into pointed turrets. 
<DM> your choice is pretty much: Up or down? 
<Vlix> down - if the sentinel is to be trusted. 
<DM> ok, you move down the cart track. 

(had you moved _up_, it would have looked like this:)
  

<Mialee> Okay, tell me everything that's happened ;) 
<Vlix> we've killed some lg goblins and wolves while approaching the keep.
    we're now approaching the lower gate. Pengo heard some laughing and
    carousing from upper levels. 
<Jozlan> :) 
<DM> Being as cautious as you are, you manage to make it down to the end of the
    cart path without incident that you can tell. 
<DM> Each gateway consists of a round-topped arch and has a pair of stone
    doors. The doors have no visible handles, locks, or hinges. Above each archway, a
    smooth, shield-shaped panel of stone bears the faded remains of a coat of arms. 
        

<Mialee> So we're at the gate to the keep? 
<DM> On the western side of the fortress, the wall which looms up from the
    track to the battlemented area has two large, tower-like buttresses. As you round
    the first of these, you find an impressive gateway occupying most of the width
    of the wall between them. 
<DM> then you see the shield shaped stone on the gate, etc. 
<Vlix> Pengo, lets sneak ahead and scout the gate. 
<Pengo> Sounds good to me. 
\<Vlix> we'll try to use any shadows we can. 
> Pengo sneaks up toward the gate.
<Vlix> you go one side, I'll go the other. 
<DM> well, evening is fast approaching, so shadows are long 
> Pengo follows Vlix's lead.
*** >> <Mialee> >> to Mialee:  BTW, after the last rest, you decided that you
    would memorize Mirror Image instead of Knock 
<Vlix> sneak sneak sneak... 
<DM> You see no visible handles, hinges, or whatever on the doors 
<Vlix> time for the glove - if I don't see any danger, I wave the party up. 
<DM> The doors are what is marked (4) on the map. 
> Pengo nods.
> Flint touches the door with the Sentinel.
<DM> Which door, the Western facing or southern facing? 
<Flint> Southern 
<Vlix> knock knock - who's there? 
<DM> BTW Flint, you notice on the ground that there is some recent stonework in
    the ground where the hatching is shown 
<Vlix> like a dig? 
<DM> recent, as in 1 couple hundred years old, and a couple hundred years newer
    than the rest of the keep. 
<Mialee> How old is the sentinel's knowledge of this place? 
<DM> the path which continues around the corner of the keep looks like it was
    added on. 
<Mialee> If there've been changes... 
<Vlix> maybe you should check it dwarves. 
<DM> many hundreds of years. 
<Mialee> So the sentinel may not be aware of changes that have been made to the
    keep.  That could be trouble. 
<DM> oh, the most recent memory is just a couple hundred years. 
<Mialee> OK. 
<Mialee> Does the Sentinel know anything about this stonework then? 
<DM> The Sentinel isn't talking at the moment, for fear of giving itself away
    to the gauntlet 
<Flint> It has to remain quiet now. 
<Mialee> Let's just open this thing and get on with it. 
> Mialee grasps her sword with enthusiasm.
<DM> so Flint touches the southern door, and the door opens silently, swinging
    on unseen hinges 
<Mialee> Do we see anything inside, without actually going in? 
<DM> This is a large and impressive room. The walls and ceiling are of a deep
    red, lustrous stone, flocked with glittering white inclusions. The floor is of
    a smooth, pale grey stone and has a large coat of arms inlaid in its centre. 

<Mialee> Anyone in there? 
<DM> You don't see anything moving inside 
> Mialee walks in.
> Pengo follows.
<Vlix> Vlix follows 
<DM> In an alcove in each corner of the room stands a large stone chair. Three
    of the chairs are occupied by strange, silent, unmoving figures which appear
    to be  no more than suits of human-sized clothing, arranged as if worn by
    invisible, seated men, The chair in the south-eastern alcove is empty. 
<DM> The figures are: a suit of chainmail armor equipped with helm, shield and
    mace  (north-western alcove); a rich. cowled robe with a staff (north-eastern 
    alcove); and a suit of platemail armor with helm, shield and sword 
    (south-western alcove). 
<Mialee> Hm. 
<Mialee> Does the room show any signs of recent occupation?  Footprints,
    disturbed dust, that kind of thing? 
<DM> not that you can see. 
<Mialee> The figures make me nervous. 
*** Roll by DM: 1d100 -> 53
<Mialee> The fact that one of the chairs is empty implies that these things can
    get up and move around if they want to. 
<Mialee> Is there anything else in the room? 
<Mialee> And is the coat of arms on the floor the same as the one outside? 
> Flint sits in the forth chair.
<DM> No.  The room has a high ceiling, and there is a bunch of dust and dirt on
    the floor. 
*** >> <Flint> >> to Flint:  you don't experience anything unusual 
<Flint> fourth 
<DM> Yes the coat of arms is the same. 
> Mialee waits for Flint to get fried. :)
<Vlix> be nice if the Baron would have mentioned anything obnoxious about these
    things. 
<DM> It looks like this place has not been visited in many years. 
<Mialee> Have we seen any indication that the keep has been taken? 
<DM> not from in here.   It looks totally peaceful 
<Mialee> If not, we may be being a tad overcautious. 
<Pengo> Is that a door to the east, or an open doorway? 
<Pengo> If the former, I'll check it for traps now. 
<DM> a door 
> DM rolls
<DM> Pengo doesn't find any traps 
> Pengo opens the door.
*** Roll by DM: 1d100 -> 13
<Pengo> I hate unexplained rolls. ;) 
<DM> Just as you open the door, the figures rise from their seats, and float
    toward the party 
<Mialee> Figures. 
<DM> roll for surprise (d6) 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 3
<Jozlan> mialee was expecting it.  can't be too much of a surprise 
<DM> you're not surprised 
> Vlix reminds the party to have a talk with the Baron...
<Mialee> Good point, Joz.  I'd just said that I expect them to get up :) 
<DM> since Pengo and Flint were in the SE corner, I'll assume the rest of the
    party was somewhere in that area as well. 
<Mialee> I take it they look to be attacking. :) 
<Vlix> ok, what to do - we have laundry floating toward us. 
<DM> yes, 
<Mialee> Do we roll initiative now, or...? 
<DM> yes, initiative 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 3
<DM> the robed one is hanging back 
> Flint boldly presents the Sentinel.
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 3
<DM> again 
<Mialee> The robed one is a magic user, obviously. 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 3
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 4
<DM> ok, is anyone casting spells? 
<Mialee> Magic Missile. 
<Vlix> mm 
<Icarius> mm here too
<DM> at which figure? 
<Mialee> Robed. 
<Vlix> vlix=robed 
<Mialee> Icarius? 
<DM> ok, as it happens, the robed one is also incanting -- silently 
<DM> ok, Vlix 
<Vlix> shoot now 
<DM> go ahead and fire your MMs 
*** Roll by Mialee: 2d4+2 -> 1 + 4 = 5 + 2 = 7
*** Roll by Vlix: 1d4+1 -> 3 + 1 = 4
<DM> Icarius? 
<DM> your magic missiles arc across the room, at the same time as similar beams
    arc across the room at Icarius 
*** Roll by Icarius: 1d4+1 -> 4 + 1 = 5
*** Roll by Icarius: 1d4+1 -> 3 + 1 = 4
<DM> Icarius, you feel the rod absorb 1 spell level. 
<Icarius> cool 
<DM> ok, you got the initiative, who's swinging at what? 
> Pengo swings at whatever's closest.
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d20 -> 14
> Vlix draws swd+dag
> Flint boldly presents the Sentinel.
<DM> at the one with the mace or the one with the sword? 
<Pengo> Me?  Sword. 
<DM> Vlix, that's your action for NEXT round 
<Mialee> Anyone else going to attack? :) 
<Mialee> Flint, Mordin, Joz? :) 
<Pengo> This is going to suck for me if nobody else is fighting. :) 
> Mordin attacks the Mace wielder.
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 10
<Pengo> Did my 14 hit? 
<DM> swing then, mordin misses 
<DM> no, Pengo 
<Pengo> OK. 
<Pengo> Flint, Joz? 
> Jozlan attacks with his hammer
<DM> Flint was presenting the sentinel 
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d20 -> 15
<Pengo> Oh, duh. 
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d8 -> 4
<DM> on which figure Jozlan? 
<Flint> Any reaction to the Sentinel? 
<DM> the mace or the sword? 
<DM> No reaction to the sentinel 
<Jozlan> at #1 
<DM> I'll assume the mace, then 
<Vlix> cya 
<Jozlan> have a good night 
<DM> ok, Joz you hit the mace wielder 
<DM> Ok, the Mace wielder attacks Jozlan, and the Sword-wielder swings at
    Mordin. 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 15
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 3
<DM> Jozlan is hit.   Roll a saving throw vs. Magic 
<DM> =.r 1d6+1 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6+1 -> 3 + 1 = 4
<DM> and take 4 damage 
<DM> Jozlan?  Need a saving throw (d20) 
> DM rolls a saving throw for Jozlan.
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 6
<DM> Jozlan screams in fear, and runs out the door and down the path. 
<Mialee> Wow. 
<DM> I guess that is it for this round. 
<Flint> Even the +2 wouldn't help that one. 
<DM> +2? 
<Flint> From the Sentinel and the bless. 
<DM> who cast a bless? 
<Mialee> Nobody did... 
<Flint> Didn't Joz? 
<DM> I think that was on the trail 
<Jozlan> yeah, long ago 
<DM> when you were fighting the goblins. 
<DM> Ok, so- any spells? 
<Mialee> Do we get to do spells a second time this round? 
<DM> initiative, then. 
<Mialee> If so, I'll do a magic missile at the robed guy again. :) 
<DM> ok 
*** Roll by Mialee: 2d4+2 -> 4 + 4 = 8 + 2 = 10
<Mialee> Sweeeet. 
<DM> nice roll 
<Mialee> Very. :) 
<DM> Round # 2 : -------------------------------- 
<DM> Initiative: 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 3
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 5
<DM> you got it. 
> Mialee will cast MM again, at the robed guy.
<DM> ok, you can do that.  Recall that there is a new procedure. 
<Mialee> Yes... thought I was following it. :) 
<DM> spell casters must declare all spells to be cast in the coming round
    before initiative rolls. 
<Mialee> What did I miss? 
<Mialee> Oh.  I thought it was after initiative and before actions.  Sorry. 
<DM> you should declare BEFORE the initiative roll 
<Mialee> Gotcha.  Will do henceforth. 
<DM> the reason is: any attack that happens to hit a spell caster will hit ON
    the segment of the winning initiative roll. 
<Mialee> Right. 
<DM> ok, fire away 
<Mialee> Makes sense.  Just forgot. :) 
*** Roll by Mialee: 2d4+2 -> 3 + 2 = 5 + 2 = 7
> Pengo swings at the sword guy.
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d20 -> 16
<DM> miss 
<Pengo> Anyone else? :) 
> Flint presents his Holy Symbol boldly and turns the Undead.
<DM> to no effect. :( 
<Pengo> Hey, holy guy, quit waving your stuff around and fight! :) 
<Mialee> Mordin? 
<Mialee> Icarius? 
> Mordin attacks the mace wielder.
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 20
<DM> Vlix will attack the mace wielder 
<DM> hit, Mordin 
<Mialee> Nice swing! 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D8+6 -> 7 + 6 = 13
> Icarius stands around trying to attract more spells
<Mialee> Excellent. 
<Mialee> Icarius :) 
<Mialee> You should head for the spellcaster or something. :) 
<Mialee> Go bash him with your staff or something. :) 
<Mialee> Or pretend like you're gonna. :) 
<DM> He doesn't have the staff, he left it with Paulinus.   Right? 
<Mialee> Oh yeah. 
*** Roll by DM: 1d100 -> 86
<Mialee> Well, you can have this guy's when we're done with him. :) 
<Mialee> Has Vlix attacked yet? 
<DM> the sword-wielder...  can I just call him the fighter, and the other guy
    the cleric? 
<Icarius> right, staff's back in town 
<Mialee> Seems fair. :) 
<DM> no, roll twice for Vlix 
<Mordin> No. <EG> 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 7
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 11
<Mialee> Ick 
<DM> miss 
<DM> anything else? 
<Mialee> Think that's it. 
> Mialee raises her sword and does her best to look fierce.
<DM> the ftr attacks Pengo and the cleric attacks Mordin. 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 19
<DM> pengo is hit 
<Pengo> Oof. 
*** Roll by DM: 1d8+4 -> 2 + 4 = 6
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 12
<DM> mordin is hit. 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6+1 -> 5 + 1 = 6
<DM> roll a saving throw, mordin  (+2) 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20+2 -> 3 + 2 = 5
<DM> ugh.  Mordin screams in fear, and runs out the door and down the path. 
<Mialee> Ack. 
<Icarius> drat 
<DM> oh, and a sizzling arccuts toward Icarius, and then another, and the rod
    absorbs 2 more levels 
<Mialee> :) 
<Mialee> Means Icarius can cast some spells now, right? :) 
<DM> yes. 
<Mialee> Excellent. 
*** >> <Icarius> >> to Icarius:  there is a 4-level potential in the rod 
<DM> Round # 3 : -------------------------------- 
<DM> Any Magic? 
> Mialee thinks from now on Icarius should be left to deal with spellcasters,
    because of that rod. :)
<Mialee> Yes. 
<Mialee> Sleep, on the fighter. 
<Icarius> i'll cast mm on the robe guy 
<DM> ok. 
<DM> Icarius are you using the rod? 
<Icarius> no, regular spells 
<DM> ok, 
<DM> Initiative: 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 4
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 6
<DM> you got it again. 
<Mialee> What do I roll for the sleep? 
<DM> nothing.   you cast it, and it seemed to have no effect. 
<Mialee> Damn. 
<Pengo> Icarius? 
> Flint attacks with his Battle Axe.    On the cleric.
<DM> Icarius' MM arcs across the room toward the MU, as similar magic arcs it's
    way toward him 
*** Roll by Flint: 1D20 -> 7
> Pengo attacks the fighter again.
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d20 -> 4
<Pengo> Argh. 
<DM> miss, Pengo 
<Pengo> This is a bad luck zone or something. 
<DM> miss, Flint 
<DM> need a damage roll Ic 
*** Roll by Icarius: 1d4+1 -> 3 + 1 = 4
*** Roll by Icarius: 1d4+1 -> 1 + 1 = 2
<DM> and you feel two more levels absorbed 
<DM> Vlix attacks the fighter - 
*** Roll by DM: 2d20 -> 20 + 5 = 25
<DM> and manages to miss with both! 
<Mialee> The 20 is a miss??? 
<Mialee> Holy cow. 
<DM> (although the first shot surely looked like it should have hit) 
<Mialee> Oh no... these guys need special weapons. 
<DM> ok, the fighter attacks Vlix, and the cleric attacks Flint 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 3
<Mialee> What're you using, Vlix? 
<DM> the fighter is having a bad day. 
<DM> he has a magical dagger and a normal sword. 
<Mialee> Was the normal sword the 20? 
<DM> yes 
<DM> that's the primary weapon, so it's rolled first 
> Mialee nods.
<DM> the cleric on Flint 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 17
<DM> hit! 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6+1 -> 5 + 1 = 6
<DM> and roll a saving throw, Flint 
<Mialee> Uhoh. 
<DM> oh, nevermind 
<DM> you've got the Sentinel on. 
<Mialee> Whew. 
<DM> I guess that's it for this round. 
<DM> Round # 4 : -------------------------------- 
<DM> Any Magic? 
<Mialee> No magic this round. 
<Mialee> Except hopefully from Icarius. :) 
<Icarius> mm (from the rod) at the robe guy 
<DM> ok 
<DM> Initiative: 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 5
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 6
<DM> yer good! 
<Mialee> :) 
<Mialee> Icarius first, or can anyone go, or...? 
<DM> Icarius exchanges volleys with the robed one, and he feels one more level
    absorbed, even as the robed one explodes in a puff of dust 
<Pengo> Woohoo! 
<Icarius> cool 
<Flint> On the cleric. 
> Pengo tries to get behind the cleric.
*** Roll by Flint: 1D20 -> 17
> Mialee swings at the fighter.
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 4
<Mialee> Baarrgh. 
<DM> Hit, Flint 
*** Roll by Flint: 1D8 -> 1
<Mialee> Oof. 
<DM> Vlix on the fighter: 
*** Roll by DM: 2d20 -> 16 + 11 = 27
<DM> miss 
<DM> Pengo can attack if he wants to. 
<Pengo> I'm trying to get behind the cleric. 
<Pengo> I want to leap up on him and try to encumber him. :) 
<Pengo> Since I don't have a magic weapon. :) 
<DM> right.  ok, 
<DM> I was ALMOST done with my grappling/pummeling spreadsheet, but... 
<Pengo> But if we can keep that fighter's sword after this... ;/ 
<Pengo> ;) I mean 
<DM> Roger, help me out.  Where was that simplified grappling cahrt? 
<DM> found it 
<DM> Hmm, sorry, Pengo, but this guy is too big for you to grapple. 
    effectively 
<Pengo> Can I do a Gollum and try to bite his hand? :) 
<DM> hehe, no.  Sorry. 
<Pengo> Awww. 
<DM> where were we?  Oh their attacks. 
*** Roll by DM: 1d100 -> 46
> Pengo kicks the cleric in the shin.
<DM> The cleric on Flint, and the Fighter on Vlix 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 16
<DM> Flint is hit 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6+1 -> 2 + 1 = 3
*** <reFlint> has entered the room.
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 6
<DM> oh. That's a hit. 
*** Roll by DM: 1d8+4 -> 3 + 4 = 7
<DM> Round # 5 : -------------------------------- 
<DM> Any Magic? 
<Mialee> Not for me. 
<Icarius> mm at the sword guy 
<Icarius> (from the rod_ 
<reFlint> Am I still here? 
*** <Flint> has left the room.
<DM> Yes, Flint 
<Mialee> You are now :) 
<DM> ok, Ic 
*** <reFlint> is now known as <Flint>
<DM> Initiative: 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 2
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 6
<DM> your shot 
> Mialee attacks the fighter with her sword.
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 16
<DM> that hits.  Barely 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d8 -> 6
<DM> Mialee scores the first damage on the ftr, followed closely by Ic's MM 
*** Roll by Icarius: 1d4+1 -> 1 + 1 = 2
*** Roll by Icarius: 1d4+1 -> 4 + 1 = 5
<DM> other attacks? 
> Pengo slashes at the cleric.
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d20 -> 15
<DM> miss 
<Pengo> Might as well practice swinging at it. :) 
<DM> Flint, are you still on the Cleric? 
<Mialee> Flint and Vlix? 
<DM> Vlix: 
*** Roll by DM: 2d20 -> 10 + 7 = 17
<DM> miss 
<Flint> Yes 
<Mialee> Ick. 
*** Roll by Flint: 1D20 -> 11
<DM> miss 
<DM> alright, the ftr is on Mialee, and the cleric on Flint 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 9
<Mialee> Whew :) 
<DM> hit 
<Mialee> Ack 
*** Roll by DM: 1d8+4 -> 3 + 4 = 7
<Mialee> Ow! 
<DM> The Cleric on Flint 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 3
<DM> miss 
<DM> Round # 6 : -------------------------------- 
<DM> Any Magic? 
<Mialee> Not here. 
<DM> Icarius? 
*** <Mordin> has left the room.
<Icarius> mm (from the rod) on the fighter 
<DM> Initiative: 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 3
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 1
<Mialee> Oops. :) 
*** <Mordin> has entered the room.
*** Roll by DM: 1d100 -> 46
<DM> the ftr on Mialee and the cleric on Flint again 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 10
<DM> hit 
<Icarius> does that mean mordin isn't scared any more? :) 
*** Roll by DM: 1d8+4 -> 7 + 4 = 11
<Mialee> :) 
> Mialee is down to 1 hp.
<DM> Mialee ought to back up. 
<Mialee> Yes. 
<Icarius> you better run and find Jozlan 
<DM> on Flint 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 4
<DM> miss 
<DM> funny you should mention that, because just about that Time, Jozlan comes
    back through the door, with a determined look on his face. 
<Mialee> :) 
*** >> <Jozlan> >> to Jozlan:  you have overcome your fear. 
> Mialee scrambles to get back away from the fight.
<Mialee> Medic! 
<Pengo> Our turn? 
<DM> yes 
> Jozlan returns to the room, no longer afraid
> Pengo slashes uselessly at the cleric.
<DM> Vlix on the ftr 
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d20 -> 10
*** Roll by DM: 2d20 -> 1 + 2 = 3
<Pengo> C'mon, you freak!  Hit me!  Hit me!! 
<Jozlan> can I do anything this round? 
<DM> not this round. 
> Pengo starts taunting the cleric.
*** Roll by Flint: 1D20 -> 20
> Icarius does the magic missile thing
<DM> hit 
<Mialee> Go Flint! 
*** Roll by Icarius: 1d4+1 -> 2 + 1 = 3
<Flint> On the cleric 
*** Roll by Icarius: 1d4+1 -> 2 + 1 = 3
*** Roll by Flint: 1D8 -> 1
<Mialee> Argh :) 
<Flint> Joz: heal Mialee. 
<Mialee> He can't act this turn. :) 
<DM> anything else this round? 
<Flint> Turn?! 
<Mialee> Round :) 
<DM> Round # 7 : -------------------------------- 
<DM> Any Magic? 
<Mialee> No magic here. 
<Jozlan> i'll be cl on mialee 
> Mialee stays out of the way, waiting for healing.
<DM> ok 
<DM> Initiative: 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 4
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 6
> Pengo hacks at the cleric, still jeering at it.
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d20 -> 5
<DM> Mordin comes through the door with a furious look on his face. 
<Flint> On the cleric. 
*** >> <Mialee> >> to Mialee: o you have overcome your fear 
*** Roll by Flint: 1D20 -> 10
<DM> woops 
*** << <Mialee> << You mean Mordin, don't you? :) 
*** >> <Mialee> >> to Mialee:  disregard 
<DM> .o you have overcome your fear 
<Pengo> Hit me, you invisible freak! 
<DM> crap Mordin isn't scared anymore. 
<DM> Flint, you miss. 
> Pengo leaps up and down, bouncing around the cleric like a lunatic.
<Pengo> Hit me!  Hit me!! 
<DM> In fact, he's so unscared, he could charge at the enemy 
<Mordin> That's right! It's time to be afraid.  Be very afraid. :) 
> Pengo makes obscene gestures at the cleric.
> Mordin attacks the fighter.
<Pengo> Your god is a pansy! 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 9
<DM> Vlix on the ftr 
*** Roll by DM: 2d20 -> 9 + 5 = 14
<DM> miss 
> Jozlan casts cl on mialee
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d4+2 -> 1 + 2 = 3
<Mialee> Oof. 
<Mialee> I'll need more. :) 
<Mialee> Sorry. :) 
<DM> well, that is actually +4 
<Mialee> Thanks though :) 
<Mialee> So 5 total or 7 total? 
<DM> 5 total 
> Pengo keeps insulting the cleric's deity.
<Mordin> Did I Hit? 
<Pengo> Hehehe 
<DM> You could put another one on her this round if you want, Jozlan 
<Jozlan> ok 
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d4+4 -> 1 + 4 = 5
<DM> no, Mordin 
<Mialee> That's better. :) 
<Mialee> Still down 8, but now I feel like I can get back in there. :) 
> Pengo calls the cleric's deity a poodle-lover.
<DM> Ok, their turn? 
*** Roll by DM: 1d100 -> 13
<Pengo> Looks like. 
<DM> they slowly turn, and float back into their cubicles. 
<Pengo> What the...? 
<DM> and sit down. 
<DM> Current Damage in Hit Points: 
<DM> Flint     -9 
<DM> Mordin    -6 
<DM> Mialee    -8 
<DM> Pengo     -6 
<DM> Icarius   -1 
<DM> Jozlan    -4 
<DM> Vlix      -7 
<Pengo> Did the magic user one drop anything when it was nailed? 
<DM> no 
<Pengo> Bummer. 
<Pengo> Some of are hurting. :) 
<DM> the staff and all just disappeared into a cloud of dust. 
> Mialee puts away her sword and pulls out her bow, then readies an arrow.
<Mialee> We could use a bit more healing before we do anything else... 
<Mialee> Several of us could. 
*** >> <Pengo> >> to Pengo:  don't forget that you DID open the door to the
    east right before the battle. 
<Mialee> (BTW, I kind of doubt Dain's ability to make it next time -- his wife
    is due on Tuesday :) 
*** << <Pengo> << Yes, I know. 
> Pengo takes a look through the door to the east.
<Jozlan> oh my 
<DM> I believe you only have about 2 clws between your two clerics 
<Jozlan> I should have 2 left 
<Jozlan> actually, I think i'm all out 
<Flint> I have 3 left. 
<Pengo> What do I see in the room to the east? 
<DM> No, because you haven't rested since this morning, when you cast 2 on
    people to get them back after the fight with the wolves. 
<DM> I think you have 2 left and Joz has none. 
<DM> This is a small, plain room. Projecting from the left hand wall is a long, 
<DM> stone table with a pan-balance mounted on it near the right-hand and.
    Behind 
<DM> the table are a pair of chairs and a large iron-bound chest against the
    far 
<DM> wall. 
<DM> The southern end of the table is supported by two slender, stone pillars.
    Next 
<DM> to the balance are a number of brass coloured weights arranged neatly in a 
<DM> shallow depression. 
<Flint> I only cast two CL's this morning. 
<DM> right. How many are you carrying? 
<Flint> 5 now. 
<DM> whoops 
<DM> ok, I forgot to adjust your level.  Sorry 
<Mialee> :) 
<DM> ok, you have 3 left 
<Mialee> :) 
<Mialee> Well. 
<Mialee> Obviously there's some kind of puzzle in that room to the east. :) 
<Mialee> Should we go in, maybe bar the door, see if we can rest? 
<Mialee> We're pretty beat up. 
<DM> and this would be a good time to wrap up for the night. 
<Mialee> Yeah. 
> Mialee goes on into the room to the east.
> Pengo follows.
<DM> and sees what Pengo saw 
<Mialee> Does that plan work for everyone? 
<Flint> Yes. 
<Mialee> We can use up the rest of the CLWs, then try to sleep. 
<Mialee> Assuming everyone is in, I close the door. 
<Mialee> Does it have a lock or anything? 
<DM> It has a lock, but you don't see a key 
<Pengo> Can I lock it without the key? :) 
<DM> you can try 
<Pengo> Unopen it? ;) 
> Pengo tries.
> DM rolls
*** Private roll: 1d100 -> 96
<DM> no, you can't seem to do it, but Vlix gives a try. 
*** Private roll: 1d100 -> 66
<DM> Vlix succeeds in locking the door. 
<Mialee> Great. 
<DM> hopefully with everyone inside. 
<Mialee> Let's use our standard watch, but first, Flint should do some healing.
    :) 
<Mialee> Then we can rest for the night. 
<DM> There is, also, a Bar on the door. 
<Mialee> Or try :) 
<Mialee> Heh 
> Mialee bars the door.
> Flint casts Cure Light Wounds on Vlix
*** Roll by Flint: 1D4+4 -> 2 + 4 = 6
<DM> He's good to go 
> Flint casts Cure Light Wounds on Mialee
*** Roll by Flint: 1D4+4 -> 4 + 4 = 8
<Mialee> Woohoo :) 
<Mialee> Thank you! 
> Flint casts Cure Light Wounds on himself.
*** Roll by Flint: 1D4+4 -> 4 + 4 = 8
<DM> BTW, did anyone close the main door to the outside before you came in
    here? 
<Mialee> That sounds like something Vlix would think to do. :) 
<Mialee> He's paranoid that way. 
<Flint> Yes :) 
<DM> Vlix mentions to Flint that the door might be better closed. 
<DM> so We'll assume that Flint did that. :) 
<Mialee> OK :) 
<Mialee> OK, let's set the standard watch and get some rest. 
<DM> ok, you settle in for the night, and aside from the occasional sound of
    softly rattling armor, the 4 hours pass uneventfully. 
<DM> Current Damage in Hit Points: 
<DM> Flint      0 
<DM> Mordin    -5 
<DM> Mialee     0 
<DM> Pengo     -5 
<DM> Icarius    0 
<DM> Jozlan    -3 
<DM> Vlix       0 
<DM>  
<DM> when you wake up. 
<Mialee> OK... if we can get the last three heals done, then we're ready to
    head out again
    <Mialee> OK.  Does someone want to go ahead and do the heals now then? 
<Flint> We should recover the spent spells after healing.  That way we have a
    full load for the keep. 
<Mialee> OK. 
<DM> ok, We'll assume that is done, and you rest another 4 hours. 
<DM> again, you occasionally here the whisper of armor creaking outside the
    door, but there is no disturbance. 
*** >> <Mialee> >> to Mialee:  did you want to memorize the Mirror image or the
    knock?  Remember the powers of the Sentinel 
*** << <Mialee> << Mirror Image sounds good. 

==================================================================================
May 23, 2004 
==================================================================================

<DM> That said, let's pick up where we left off. 
<DM> You'll recall from our last session, that you entered the 
<DM> lower undercroft of the keep, and had there encountered 
<DM> three ghostly creatures, one of which you seem to have 
<DM> defeated.   You retreated into the relative safety of the 
<DM> room marked 6 on your map. 
<Mialee> Where's that map? 
   

<DM> Having said that, Can you all please confirm these? 
<DM>  
<DM> **** Character Spells **** 
<DM> Mialee 1st level: Sleep, 3x Magic Missile 
<DM> Mialee 2nd level:  Mirror Image, Web 
<DM>  
<DM> Jozlan 1st level:  3 Cure Light Wounds, Light, Bless 
<DM> Jozlan 2nd level:  2 Hold Person, Chant, Translate, Speak with Animals 
<DM> Jozlan 3rd level:  Dispel Magic 
<DM>  
<DM> Icarius 1st level:  2x Sleep 
<DM> Icarius 2nd level:  Web 
<DM>  
<DM> Flint 1st level:  5x Cure Light Wounds 
<DM> Flint 2nd level:  Silence 15' radius, Slow Poison, Find Traps 
<DM>  
<DM> Vlix 1st level:  2x Magic Missile, Invisibility 
<DM>  
<DM>  
<DM> Current Hit Points: 
<DM> Flint:   29 (29) 
<DM> Mordin:  20 (20) 
<DM> Mialee:  19 (19) 
<DM> Pengo:   20 (20) 
<DM> Icarius: 16 (16) 
<DM> Jozlan:  18 (18) 
<DM> Vlix:    14 (14) 
<Mialee> I'd like to replace Sleep with an Identify. 
<Mialee> And one of the Magic Missiles with Read Magic. 
<DM> ok, one time, or permanent? 
<Mialee> Can I do that, or have we already memorized after our rest? 
<DM> no you can do that 
<Mialee> Call it permanent until I say otherwise. :) 
<Icarius> looks good to me 
<Jozlan> me too 
<Flint> ok 
*** >> <Flint> >> Even though the sentinel is being quiet, it is 
*** >> <Flint> >> still exerting an influence on Flint, urging him 
*** >> <Flint> >> on.  I need you to play Flint with a sense of 
*** >> <Flint> >> urgency -- which doesn't necessarily extend to Mordin. 
<Mialee> So.  Shall we? :) 
<DM>      You have spent sufficient time huddled in this room to 
<DM> recover hit points and spells.  Somewhat refreshed, you get 
<DM> up and take a look around you. 
<DM>      This is a small, plain room.  It seems that it once 
<DM> might have been used for the collection of tolls from 
<DM> travellers using the pass. 
<DM>      Projecting from the left hand wall is a long, stone 
<DM> table with a pan-balance mounted on it near the right-hand 
<DM> end. Behind the table are a pair of chairs and a large 
<DM> iron-bound chest against the far wall. 
<DM>      The southern end of the table is supported by two 
<DM> slender, stone pillars. Next to the balance are a number of 
<DM> brass colored weights arranged neatly in a shallow 
<DM> depression. 
*** << <Flint> << Okay. :) 
<Pengo> Did we get around to actually poking around in here? 
<Flint> Let's get going. 
<DM> Not really too much 
<Pengo> If not, I'd like to examine that chest and check it for traps. 
> DM rolls for Pengo
<DM> Pengo doesn't find any traps 
> Pengo asks the others to stand back, then opens the chest.
<Pengo> Or is it locked? :) 
<DM> The chest is quite empty 
<Pengo> OK. 
> Mialee examines the balance.
<DM> They appear to be made of brass 
<Mialee> Hm.  OK.  I think we can move on. 
> Mialee opens the door and peeks outside to see if anybody's waiting.
*** Roll by DM: 1d100 -> 51
<DM> you don't see anything 
> Mialee goes out into the main chamber.
> Pengo follows.
<Flint> Let's head for the north door. 
<Mialee> Agreed. 
<Mialee> Lead on. :) 
<DM> ok, you arrive at that door 
<Flint> Flint leads. 
> Mialee fights her urge to charge on ahead of everyone else.
> Pengo checks the door for traps.
<Pengo> The only time there's a trap is when I don't check for one. :) 
> DM rolls secretly for Pengo
<DM> Pengo doesn't find any traps 
> Pengo eases the door open.
<DM>      This long hall appears to be empty but you cannot see 
<DM> the far end since it is obscured by an uneven screen of a 
<DM> paper-like material. 
<DM>      The material is almost like a papier-mache,  but very 
<DM> coarse and uneven.   You cannot see through it. 
<DM>      The floor consists of green, red and white hexagonal 
<DM> tiles, each about 6 inches across, laid out in a regular 
<DM> pattern. 
<DM>      The walls are pale grey and plain, as is the ceiling. 
<DM>      You can hear the sound of movement behind the screen. 
<Pengo> That doesn't sound good. 
<DM> refresh 
<Mialee> Does it look like an insect nest, like a large wasp's nest or
    something? 
<DM> possibly, yes. 
<Mialee> Icky. 
<Icarius> maybe we shoulod start a fire 
> Flint Heads for the wall.
<Pengo> Hang on. 
<Icarius> burn baby burn! 
> Pengo examines the tiles for signs that there might be triggers under them.
<Pengo> I want to be sure this isn't some kind of "step only on the green
    tiles" sort of thing. :) 
<DM> they seem to be permanently affixed to the floor 
<Pengo> OK. 
<DM> Flint is at the wall 
> Flint uses the axe to cut through the paper.
<DM>      You can easily slash through the screen. 
> Mialee stands back from Flint.
<DM>      Beyond the screen you find another section of the room 
<DM> but the far end is still obscured since there is a second 
<DM> screen. This is similar to the first except that there is a 
<DM> small hole in it near the floor. 
<DM>      There is a stone door in the middle of the eastern 
<DM> wall of this section of the room. 
<DM>      The floor is covered with rubbish except for the area 
<DM> near the center of the room surrounding a hole about a foot 
<DM> across. 
<DM>      Hanging from the ceiling are five irregular bundles 
<DM> bound tightly with silk-like threads. 
<DM>      There are five giant ants working here. 
<DM>      Seeing you, they scuttle towards you making a hissing 
<DM> and clicking noise as they come. 
> Mialee attacks, sword in hand.
> Pengo grumbles and joins in.
> Mordin attacks with his Battle Axe.
<DM>  ------------------------------------ 
<DM> Round 1: Spellcasters, what will you cast this round? 
<Mialee> I'm going to go melee for now. 
<DM> Initiative. 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 1
<Mialee> Icarius?  Vlix? 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 3
> Mialee swings her sword at the nearest ant.
<DM> Vlix will melee 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 13
<DM> barely hits! 
*** Roll by Flint: 1D20 -> 12
> Jozlan attacks the infedelious ant #1 with his war hammer
<Mialee> Are giant ants large creatures for the purposes of damage, or just
    large ants? :) 
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d20 -> 14
<DM> Flint hits 
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d20 -> 1
<DM> they are actually just small creatures, about the size of a small dog 
<Pengo> Ack 
<Mialee> OK 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d8 -> 1
<Mialee> Bah 
<DM> Jozlan hits 
*** Roll by Flint: 1D6 -> 5
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 11
<DM> Flint crushes his! 
<DM> Mordin misses 
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d8 -> 5
<DM> Jozlan lands a good blow, but the creture is still moving 
<DM> Someone roll 2 for Vlix 
<Mialee> Vlix? 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 19
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 2
<Mialee> What's his damage roll for that first one? 
<DM> that's a hit with his longsword 
<DM> d8 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d8 -> 2
<Mialee> Hm. 
<DM> ok 4 attack back, at Vlix, Mialee, Flint and Pengo 
*** Roll by DM: 4d20 -> 11 + 1 + 2 + 4 = 18
<DM> Vlix is hit 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 2
<DM> 2 dam 
<DM>  ------------------------------------ 
<DM> Round 2: Spellcasters, what will you cast this round? 
<Mialee> Melee 
<DM> Initiative. 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 1
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 1
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 1
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 2
<Mialee> Hmph. :) 
<DM> they attack again, same targets 
*** Roll by DM: 4d20 -> 19 + 11 + 5 + 11 = 46
<Mialee> Oof. :) 
<Mialee> More hits. 
<DM> vlix: 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 2
<DM> mialee: 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 1
<DM> Pengo 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 2
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 10
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d20 -> 4
*** Roll by Flint: 1D20 -> 20
<Pengo> The virtual dice hate us today. :) 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 18
<Mialee> There you go.  Dwarves to the rescue. :) 
<Flint> Maybe not. :) 
<Mialee> For vlix: 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 18
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 17
<Mialee> Well now! :) 
*** Roll by Flint: 1D6 -> 4
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D8+6 -> 6 + 6 = 12
<Mialee> Apparently the dice hate elves and hobbits. :) 
<DM> Vlix hit twice, the second is a d4 
<Mialee> Thank you :) 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d8 -> 8
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d4 -> 4
<Mialee> Goodness. :) 
> Jozlan attacks ant # 1 again
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d20 -> 7
<Mordin> The dice like Drow. :) 
<Mialee> They seem to.  Naughty dice. :) 
<DM> All the remaining ants are killed, 
<Mialee> Good deal. 
<DM>      The floor is covered with rubbish except for the area 
<DM> near the center of the room surrounding a hole about a foot 
<DM> across. 
<DM>      Hanging from the ceiling are five irregular bundles 
<DM> bound tightly with silk-like threads. 
<Mialee> Those bundles make me think there are some more insects around here;
    ants don't have webbing. :) 
<DM> there is a second 
<DM> screen. This is similar to the first except that there is a 
<DM> small hole in it near the floor. 
<Mialee> Does the hole look the right size for the ants to go through? 
<Mialee> (the one in the screen) 
<DM>      Through the small hole in the northern screen, eight 
<DM> more of the 2 ft. long insects come skittering out. These 
<DM> look more aggresive than the first ones. 
<DM> ------------------------------------ 
<DM> Round 2: Spellcasters, what will you cast this round? 
<Mordin> The virtual dice are aware that Dwarven programmers tend to leave a
    lot of debris behind. 
<Mialee> Heh 
<Mialee> Melee. 
<DM> actually, only 4 of them look more aggressive, 4 of them look like the
    others. 
<Mialee> And apparently my guess about that hole was right ;) 
<DM> apparently  :) 
<DM> Initiative. 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 1
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 2
<Mialee> Good enough :) 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 19
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d8 -> 4
<DM> name your target please, #5-12 
<Mialee> Uh, the nearest aggressive one. 
<DM> err, 6-13 
<Mialee> Whichever number. :) 
> Pengo goes for an aggressive one too.
> Flint attacks a soldier ant.
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d20 -> 20
> Mordin attacks a soldier ant.
<Pengo> d4 for the magic dagger, or? 
<DM> yes 
*** Roll by Flint: 1D20 -> 12
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d4 -> 1
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 16
<Mialee> For Vlix: 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 8
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 12
<Mialee> (aggressive) 
> Jozlan takes aim at #13
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d20 -> 10
<Pengo> And I'm kind of watching for any signs of what sort of magic that
    dagger has. :) 
<DM> Flint missed 
<DM> Mordin hit 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D8+6 -> 1 + 6 = 7
<DM> Vlix missed 
<DM> Jozlan missed 
<DM> none of them are dead. 
> Mordin attacks a second time.
<Mialee> Get ready, here it comes. :) 
*** >> <Mordin> >> to Mordin:  is that based on your double proficiency? 
> Mialee assumes Mordin has to roll for that attack ;)
<Mordin> Yes, 3 attacks every 2 rounds. 
> Mialee waits for that roll :)
<DM> ok 
<Mordin> I just keep forgetting to use the second one. :? 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 11
<DM> no hit sorry 
<DM> ok they attack, with one on every one except Icarius, who I assume is
    being shielded. 
<DM> and an extra one on... 
<DM> .7 
*** Roll by DM: 1d7 -> 5
<DM> Jozlan 
*** Roll by DM: 8d20 -> 20 + 9 + 1 + 3 + 4 + 11 + 19 + 8 = 75
<DM> flint: 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 3
<DM> Jozlan got hit twice 
*** Roll by DM: 2d6 -> 2 + 6 = 8
<Mialee> Oof. 
<DM> ok, that's it.  Luckily, none of you were hit by the soldier ants. 
<Mialee> Whew. :) 
<DM>  ------------------------------------ 
<DM> Round 3: Spellcasters, what will you cast this round? 
<Mialee> Melee. 
<Jozlan> same 
<DM> Initiative: 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 4
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 4
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 2
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 2
<Mialee> Hm :) 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 6
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 4
<Mialee> There we go :) 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 8
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d20 -> 6
<DM> miss 
*** Roll by Flint: 1D20 -> 8
<Pengo> Hmph. 
<Mialee> For Vlix: 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 19
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 11
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 20
<Mialee> Damage on the dagger: 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D8+6 -> 3 + 6 = 9
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d4 -> 4
<Mialee> Let me know if Vlix's sword hit too, but I don't think that 11 did. 
<DM> No the sword missed 
<DM> Mordin crushed his target. 
<Mialee> Great! 
<DM> leaving 7 left. 
<DM> their turn. 
<DM> The soldier ants are on Flint MOrdin and Mialee 
*** Roll by DM: 3d20 -> 15 + 4 + 1 = 20
<DM> Flint is hit 
<DM> the soldier ant tries to sting 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 13
<DM> and succeeds!  Roll a saving throw vs poison, Flint 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 2
*** Roll by Flint: 1D20 -> 6
<Flint> I save! 
*** Roll by DM: 1d4 -> 3
<DM> then you only take a total of 5 dam 
<Flint> It's good to be a dwarf. :) 
<Mialee> :) 
<DM> the other 4 ants are going after Pengo, Icarius, Jozlan and Vlix (one
    slipped through your screen) 
*** Roll by DM: 4d20 -> 17 + 15 + 12 + 15 = 59
<Mialee> Ooh. 
<Mialee> Bunch of hits. :) 
<DM> and ALL hit 
<DM> in order... 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 5
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 3
<DM> . 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 1
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 1
<DM>  ------------------------------------ 
<DM> Round 4: Spellcasters, what will you cast this round? 
<Mialee> Melee again. 
<DM> Initiative: 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 2
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 2
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 3
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 5
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 2
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d20 -> 5
<Mialee> Man. 
<Mialee> For Vlix: 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 1
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 14
<Mialee> Sheesh. 
*** Roll by Flint: 1D20 -> 13
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 14
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 6
<DM> The dwarves hit 
<DM> mordin once 
*** Roll by Flint: 1D6 -> 5
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D8+6 -> 1 + 6 = 7
<DM> FLint kills his, adn Mordin knocks the abdomen off one, but it is still
    kicking. 
> Mialee makes a face.
<Mialee> That's gross. 
<DM> Joz? 
<DM>  
> DM swings for Jozlan
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 8
<Mialee> Disco city :) 
*** Room 8: Dungeon
    DM, Flint, Icarius, Jozlan, Mialee, Mordin, Pengo
<Jozlan> sorry, laggy 
<DM> miss 
<DM> ok, I'll let you swing, see if you do better than me.. :) 
<Jozlan> what a gracious DM ) 
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d320 -> 197
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d20 -> 7
<Mialee> Wow! :) 
<DM> that's quite a swing! 
<Mordin> We are NOT worthy! 
<DM> sorry 
<DM> there are 2 soldier ants left, and they are going after... 
*** Roll by DM: 2d7 -> 7 + 6 = 13
<DM> Jozlan and Vlix 
*** Roll by DM: 2d20 -> 15 + 16 = 31
<DM> both hit! 
> Jozlan gets ready for some pain
<DM> they try to sting 
*** Roll by DM: 2d20 -> 8 + 20 = 28
<Mialee> Oof. Vlix. 
<DM> the one on VLix succeeds 
<DM> Jozlan takes 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 4
<DM> save for Vlix 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 11
<DM> no... :( 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 3
*** Roll by DM: 3d4 -> 1 + 3 + 1 = 5
<DM> eight damage 
<DM> he's at 1 hp 
<Mialee> I take it he's poisoned now as well? 
<DM> the 5 points are poison damage 
<Mialee> OK.  I assumed it was a lingering effect kind of thing.  Gotcha. 
<Mialee> (was wondering if it was time to break out the poison antidote potions
    :) 
<DM> if he had saved it would have been only 1d4 of poison damage 
<DM> Well, if he had gone UNDER 1, that would have been a good idea. 
> Mialee nods.
<DM> anyway, moving on. 
<Mialee> Icarius, drag him out of the fight! 
<DM>  ------------------------------------ 
<DM> Round 5: Spellcasters, what will you cast this round? 
<Mialee> Magic missile. 
> Flint casts Cure Light Wounds on Vlix
<DM> Initiative: 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 3
> Jozlan casts cl on himself
<DM> go ahead Flint 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 6
*** Roll by Flint: 1D4+4 -> 4 + 4 = 8
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d4+4 -> 1 + 4 = 5
<Flint> That should perk him up a bit. 
<Mialee> :) 
<DM> Mialee, it's 1d4+1 
<DM> x2 
<Mialee> Right. 
*** Roll by Mialee: 2d4+2 -> 2 + 4 = 6 + 2 = 8
<DM> I'll assume that was on the soldier ant again? 
<Mialee> Yessir. 
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d20 -> 8
<Mialee> For Vlix: 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 11
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 8
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 16
<DM> duh, thaqt was your intitiative roll wasn't it. ?? 
<Mialee> The 1d6 was, yes. :) 
<DM> all the swings missed. 
<Mialee> Hm. 
<Mordin> Even Vlix's 16? 
<Mialee> Did my missile kill the ant I blasted? 
<DM> yes 
<DM> no, it damaged the heretofore undamaged one. 
<Mialee> OK. 
<DM> ok, the soldier ants on .... 
*** Roll by DM: 2d7 -> 5 + 3 = 8
<DM> Mialee and Icarius 
*** Roll by DM: 2d20 -> 18 + 13 = 31
<DM> both hit 
<Mialee> Ouchie. 
<DM> attempt to sting 
*** Roll by DM: 2d20 -> 10 + 10 = 20
<DM> hits icarius 
<DM> mialee takes 
<Icarius> ouch 
*** Roll by DM: 2d4 -> 2 + 2 = 4
*** Roll by DM: 2d4 -> 1 + 2 = 3
<DM> save vs poison, Icarius 
<Mialee> How much do I take?  4? 
<DM> mialee takes 4 
<Mialee> OK :) 
<DM> (you need a 14) 
> DM rolls for Icarius
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 3
*** Roll by DM: 3d4 -> 1 + 4 + 3 = 8
<DM> Icarius takes 11 total damage 
<DM> he's down to 2 
<DM> the other 4 ants take on ... 
*** Roll by DM: 4d5 -> 4 + 1 + 5 + 3 = 13
<DM> Jozlan, FLint, Pengo and Vlix 
*** Roll by DM: 4d20 -> 4 + 14 + 12 + 9 = 39
<DM> Flint and Pengo are hit 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 5
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 1
<DM>  ------------------------------------ 
<DM> Round 6: Spellcasters, what will you cast this round? 
<Mialee> MM 
> Jozlan casts cl on icarius
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d4+4 -> 1 + 4 = 5
<DM> Vlix will too 
> Icarius casts sleep on these cursed ants
<Icarius> now it's personal 
<Mialee> :) 
<Flint> Melee 
<DM> Initiative 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 5
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 3
<DM> Nevertheless, the spells go first: 
<DM> for Vlix 
*** Roll by DM: 1d4+1 -> 1 + 1 = 2
<Mialee> Targeting one of the soldier ants: 
*** Roll by Mialee: 2d4+2 -> 3 + 3 = 6 + 2 = 8
<DM> It sizzles and dies! 
<Mialee> Wha--? 
<DM> ya know, fromyour MM 
<Mialee> Oh! 
<Mialee> I thought you meant my spell :) 
<Mialee> I read that as "fizzles and dies" :) 
<Mialee> Whew :) 
<DM> ok, the sleep spell: 
*** Roll by DM: 2d4 -> 3 + 4 = 7
<DM> all of the rest of the ants teeter over 
<Mialee> Woohoo :) 
<DM> and fall to the ground 
> Mialee proceeds to hack them until they're dead.
<DM> you accomplish that. 
> Mialee sticks out her tongue at Mordin.
<DM> To reiterate: 
<DM> the far end is still obscured since there is a second 
<DM> screen. This is similar to the first except that there is a 
<DM> small hole in it near the floor. 
<DM>      There is a stone door in the middle of the eastern 
<DM> wall of this section of the room. 
<DM>      The floor is covered with rubbish except for the area 
<DM> near the center of the room surrounding a hole about a foot 
<DM> across. 
<DM>      Hanging from the ceiling are five irregular bundles 
<DM> bound tightly with silk-like threads. 
<Mialee> Do we still hear sounds from behind the other screen? 
<DM> if you listen carefully, you can hear some soft, clicking and hissing
    sounds. 
<Mialee> Mm. 
<DM> but it doesn't seem like they're coming from a whole bunch of creatures. 
<Mialee> OK. 
> Mialee peeks into the hole in the floor.
<Icarius> we could drop one of my exploding ball things down there, just to be
    safe 
> Flint Slices through the second screen.
<DM>      The tunnel in the middle of the floor is about 15 in. 
<DM> wide and goes straight down for about 20 ft. before curving 
<DM> off to the West. 
<Mialee> Well, we don't know how deep it is. 
<Mialee> Hm. 
<Mialee> Well, Flint decided for us. :) 
<Mialee> I hope everyone who needed healing got it. :) 
<DM>      The far wall bears a vivid mosaic. Lying on an 
<DM> altar-like table below this is the bloated mass of a giant 
<DM> queen ant. 
<DM>      The disgusting creature is squirming around but 
<DM> doesn't seem to be able to move from its perch. 
> Mordin discovers that the autoactions table is missing or empty!
> Mordin attacks with his Battle Axe.
> Mialee discovers that the autoactions table is missing or empty!
<Mialee> Heh 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 19
> Mialee switches to her bow.
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D8+6 -> 1 + 6 = 7
<DM> hit, Mordin 
*** Roll by Flint: 1D20 -> 15
<Mialee> Let me know when I can attack, since I Just switched weapons. :) 
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d20 -> 8
*** Roll by Flint: 1D6 -> 6
<DM> miss, Pengo 
<DM> The thing squirms around, and squeals, but it is quite helpless. 
> Mialee decides switching to the bow is silly and switches back to the sword.
<DM> after a bit of hacking on it, it finally stops moving entirely, apparently
    dead. 
<Icarius> hehe, time for some fun :) 
> Mialee looks at the mosaic on the wall.
<DM>      The tile mosaic on the northern wall depicts the 
<DM> Sentinel. The tiny tiles representing the stone on the 
<DM> glove's ring glitter even in this dim light. 
<DM>  
*** >> <Mordin> >>  you recognize that they are azurite and 
*** >> <mordin> >> are worth a total of 800gp. 
<DM>  
<Mialee> Hm. 
> Mialee backs up and examines the bundles in silk-like threads.
<DM>      You examine the bundles hanging from the ceiling.  One 
<DM> of them seems to be glowing. 
<Mialee> Glowing? 
*** << <Mordin> <<  I do? 
<Mialee> What color?  Does the glow flicker, or is it solid? 
<Mialee> solid->steady 
<DM> steady orange glow 
<DM> although it is somewaht subdued by the silk 
<Mialee> Hm. 
<Pengo> Hm. 
> Pengo starts cutting the threads with his dagger, trying to get a look at
    whatever's inside.
<Mordin> Let's cut down the bundles and search the rubish. 
<Pengo> Not trying to cut it open, just trying to see what's in there. 
<DM>      You can easily cut the silk like threads of the 
<DM> bundles.  The contents spill out onto the floor. 
<Pengo> Oh. :) 
<Pengo> And...? 
<DM>      The first bundle contains the remains of a lamb. 
<DM>      The second held a rabbit. 
<DM>      There's a lizard in the third bundle. 
<DM>      The 4th bundle contains a fire beetle, its special 
<DM> glands still luminous. 
<DM>      Finally, in the last bundle you find the remains of a 
<DM> small humanoid creature that would have stood at about a 
<DM> foot tall.  Around its waste is a golden belt which would 
<DM> probably be about the size of a bracelet to a human. 
<Mialee> Can I remove the glands from the fire beetle? 
<Mialee> If so, I will. 
> Pengo takes a close look at the belt.
<DM> If you want to -- it'll take about 5 minutes. 
<DM>      The bracelet is made of gold and is set with small 
<DM> pieces of jade. Its apparent value is 250gp. 
<Mialee> Yes, please.  I'll work on that while the others keep searching the
    room. 
> Pengo takes the bracelet.
<DM> It is adjustable. 
> Mordin searches through the rubbish.
<DM>      The rubbish on the floor consists of vegetable matter, 
<DM> stones and the bones of small animals. It contains no items 
<DM> of value. 
<Flint> We need to keep going. 
<Mialee> Fire beetle glands can be useful in certain spells.  I want them. 
*** << <Mordin> << How do I know the value of the stones in the wall? 
<DM> Cause you're a dwarf?  Expert miner? 
<DM> oops, SOrry 
<Mialee> :) 
<DM> ok, without much delay, Mialee gets the glands. 
<Pengo> Can any of us fit into that hole? 
<DM> not really 
<Pengo> OK. 
<DM> Pengo could get his legs in, but not much else. 
> Pengo checks the door for traps.
> DM rolls secretly for Pengo
<DM>  
<DM>      The stone door has a large brass round handle in the 
<DM> middle of the door. 
<DM>      The handle is stiff and won't move easily. 
<Pengo> But are there traps? :) 
<DM> You don't find any 
> Pengo tries to open it.
<DM>      Roll a d6 to see if you can turn the handle. 
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d6 -> 6
<DM> nope 
<Mialee> One of you strong boys try it. 
> Mordin opens the door.
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D6 -> 2
<DM> he manages to turn the handle 
<DM>      When you get the door open, you see a long hallway 
<DM> extending to the east for about 40 ft, where it bends to 
<DM> the southeast. 
<Mialee> Let's go. 
<DM> It's dark in here, so I'm assuming that Icarius has his Rod held aloft.  
    (no snickers) 
<Mialee> Heh 
> Mialee heads down the corridor.
> Pengo goes too.
<DM>      From the corner you can see that the hallway extends 
<DM> another 20 ft. and ends at a door. 
> Pengo checks that door for traps.
<DM> refresh 
> DM rolls secretly for Pengo
<DM> Pengo doesn't find any traps 
> Pengo opens the door.
<DM>      The door is made of heavy oak, and opens into the 
<DM> hallway. 
<DM>      This octagonal room has a slender, stone pillar near 
<DM> the wall at each corner. The ceiling is painted to 
<DM> represent a domed roof, supported by these pillars, and the 
<DM> walls show a country scene which continues all the way 
<DM> around the room. 
<DM>      With a little imagination, you could be standing on 
<DM> the front porch of a grand summer house, surrounded by 
<DM> pleasant pastures and woodlands, at the top of a grassy 
<DM> slope leading down to a large lake. 
<DM> refresh 
> Pengo looks at the country scene.
<DM>      The door through which you came into this room is 
<DM> painted as if to depict the door going into this summer 
<DM> mansion. 
<DM>      There are paths depicted on the north-eastern and 
<DM> north-western walls leading away from the summer house. 
> Flint searches the paths for doors.
> DM rolls secretly...
<Mordin> What is in the center of the room? 
*** Private roll: 1d6 -> 2
<DM> Just an open space. 
<DM> Stone floor 
> Pengo examines the paths to see if they signify doors.
> DM rolls secretly...
*** Private roll: 1d6 -> 6
> Mialee examines the pillars.
<DM> Flint notices that there does seem to be doors in the NE and SE corners of
    the room. 
> DM rolls secretly...
*** Private roll: 1d6 -> 4
<DM> Mialee -- 
<DM>      You know, you do find something strange.  In the 
<DM> pillar that is in the 4:00 position in the room, you notice 
<DM> a really big flake of paint near the top of the pillar. It 
<DM> seems too big to really be a flake of paint, and is sort of 
<DM> hanging askew.   Who knows, it might be a small door of 
<DM> some sort. 
*** >> <Flint> >> to Flint:  remember the powers of the Sentinel 
<Mialee> Hey, Pengo!  Take a look at this. 
> Mialee points.
<Pengo> Hm. 
> Pengo looks to see if he can climb the pillar.
<DM> He might be able to. 
<Pengo> How tall are the pillars? 
<DM> It's smooth, but not that big around. 
<DM> 20 ft. 
> Pengo climbs up to take a look at this possible door.
<DM> BTW, might I remind you all of 
<DM> Current Hit Points: 
<DM> Flint:   17 (29) 
<DM> Mordin:  20 (20) 
<DM> Mialee:  15 (19) 
<DM> Pengo:   12 (20) 
<DM> Icarius:  7 (16) 
<DM> Jozlan:  10 (18) 
<DM> Vlix:     9 (14) 
<DM>  
> DM rolls secretly for Pengo
*** Private roll: 1d100 -> 89
<Mialee> Perhaps our clerics can do some healing while Pengo checks this out. 
> Jozlan casts l on vlix
<DM> Pengo gets almost to the top, when he slips and falls... 
*** << <Flint> << Flint might remember them, but Roger doesn't have a clue. :( 
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d4+4 -> 1 + 4 = 5
*** << <Pengo> << I thought my max HP was 21, not 20... 
> Mialee tries to catch Pengo.
<DM> roll 5d6 under your dexterity 
*** Roll by Pengo: 5d6 -> 5 + 3 + 1 + 1 + 3 = 13
<Pengo> Done. 
<DM> well, actually that was for Mialee 
<Mialee> Oh! 
*** Roll by Mialee: 5d6 -> 1 + 4 + 4 + 3 + 4 = 16
<Mialee> Not so done :) 
<DM> no, the first one counts. 
<Mialee> Oh.  Whew. :) 
<DM> you manage to catch Pengo, and he suffers no damage. 
> Flint hands PEngo the Ring of Feather Fall.
<Pengo> Thanks! 
<Icarius> good thinking :) 
> Pengo wonders if the DM would approve of sharing like that. :)
<Flint> Here, You might need this. :) 
<Pengo> (or would, if he were aware of the DM ;) 
<DM> yes, is that a permanent bequest? 
<Flint> OF course. (I'm an LG cleric.) :) 
<Pengo> Heh. 
> Pengo puts on the ring and tries climbing the pillar again.
*** >> <Pengo> >> to Pengo:  I have you marked as 20 h.p., it's POSSIBLE that
    I'm wrong. 
> DM rolls secretly for Pengo
*** Private roll: 1d100 -> 22
*** << <Pengo> << Hm.  I seem to recall having this discussion before :) 
<DM>      You make it to the top, and see that indeed, there is 
<DM> a small secret compartment in the top of the pillar. 
<DM>      The compartment contains a tiny ivory casket with gold 
<DM> fittings (apparent value - 50gp). 
> Pengo retrieves the casket and hops down, thanks to the ring.
> Pengo checks the casket for traps.
*** >> <Flint> >> to Flint:  The sentinel can open any door in the keep,
    magically locked or other 
<DM> This litle casket is about the size of 2 cigarette packs (if you knew what
    they were :) 
<DM>      The workmanship on this tiny little chest is 
<DM> absolutely exquisite.  The fine detail would make you think 
<DM> that it was a tiny replica of a large chest, or a real 
<DM> chest that was somehow made small. 
<DM>      The chest doesn't seem to open. 
> DM rolls secretly
*** Roll by DM: 1d100 -> 85
<DM> ok, not so secretly  :) 
<Flint> Is the tiny body in the last room small enough to fit in the secret
    compartment? 
> Pengo wonders why that matters.
<DM> Mialee scratches her head, trying to remember something from her
    "schooldays" 
<DM> No 
> Mialee thinks.
<DM> the body was about 12 feet long. 
<DM> err, 12 inches long 
<DM> and when I say "Casket" I don't mean like what you bury someone in, 
<DM> but the more generic meaning, of a chest-like thing. 
<Mialee> Right... 
<DM> so imagine a little toy pirate's chest. 
<Icarius> ah, ok 
<Icarius> that doesn't open 
> Mialee keeps looking at the casket.  Something about it rings a bell.
<Mialee> (apparently ;) 
*** Private roll: 1d100 -> 56
*** Roll by DM: 1d100 -> 87
<Flint> A tiny body, maybe a fairy's, a forest scene, and a small hidden
    compartment like a home. 
*** >> <Icarius> >> to Icarius:  you feel like you should remember something
    about this too, but you just can't quite remember. 
*** << <Mialee> << So... I take it I don't figure out why this rings a bell? :) 
*** >> <Mialee> >> to Mialee:  no, 'fraid not. 
<Mialee> Well, let's hang onto the thing and keep moving. 
<Flint> Pengo: put on the bracelet from the tiny body and try to open the
    chest. 
<Mialee> Hopefully something will jog my memory later. 
<Icarius> yes...something about it is very familiar 
> Pengo shrugs.
<Pengo> OK. 
> Pengo puts on the bracelet.
<Pengo> If this thing kills me, I'll haunt you 'til the end of your days. :) 
<Flint> Fairy, Brownie, elf... 
<DM> Did anyone else do a CL other than Jozlan on Vlix since you've been in
    this room? 
<Flint> How bad is Vlix? 
<Pengo> Anything happen when I put on the bracelet? 
<DM> He's good now 
<Pengo> Can I open the casket now? 
<Flint> Is he still poisoned? 
<DM> nothing happens when you put on the bracelet 
<DM> The poison did its damage, and he was cured. 
<Flint> Who else is hurt? 
<Icarius> i'm at 7 
> DM realizes what Flint is getting at:  the poison damage shouldn't have been
    cured by a Cure Light WOUNDS spell.
<Icarius> oops, i've been healed since then 
<DM> Current Hit Points: 
<DM> Flint:   17 (29) 
<DM> Mordin:  20 (20) 
<DM> Mialee:  15 (19) 
<DM> Pengo:   12 (20) 
<DM> Icarius:  7 (16) 
<DM> Jozlan:  10 (18) 
<DM> Vlix:    14 (14) 
<DM> oh, well, my mistake - your benefit.   :) 
<Pengo> :) 
<Icarius> oops, no Jozlan healed vlix, not me 
> Flint casts Cure Light Wounds on Icarius.
*** Roll by Flint: 1D4+4 -> 1 + 4 = 5
<DM> Current Hit Points: 
<DM> Flint:   20 (29) 
<DM> Mordin:  20 (20) 
<DM> Mialee:  15 (19) 
<DM> Pengo:   12 (20) 
<DM> Icarius: 12 (16) 
<DM> Jozlan:  10 (18) 
<DM> Vlix:    14 (14) 
<DM>  
<Mialee> Looks like Joz, Vlix, and Pengo are the worst off now. 
<Mialee> Er, Joz, Flint, and Pengo. 
> Flint casts Cure Light Wounds on Pengo.
*** Roll by Flint: 1D4+4 -> 3 + 4 = 7
> Pengo bows clumsily.
<DM> Flint is recovering remarkably fast, though 
<Pengo> Thanks, holy guy. 
<Mialee> Oh yeah, he's got the ring of regeneration. :) 
<Flint> That's why Flint isn't casting any CL's on himself. :) 
<Mialee> Logical. 
<Mialee> Someone should heal Joz. 
<Mialee> Then I think we can move on. 
<Flint> Jozlan: I have two CL's left, do you want to cast one on yourself? 
<Mialee> Joz? :) 
> Pengo checks the northeast door for traps.
> DM rolls secretly for Pengo
<DM> Pengo doesn't find any traps 
> Pengo checks the southeast door too.
> DM rolls secretly for Pengo
*** Private roll: 1d100 -> 38
<DM> Pengo doesn't find any traps 
> Jozlan casts cl on himself
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d4+4 -> 4 + 4 = 8
> Jozlan feels lucky
<DM> good roll :) 
<Mialee> :) 
<Flint> Jozlan: How many CL's do you have left? 
<Icarius> 0 
<Jozlan> er, 0 
<Flint> Next time I'll cast the CL and we will both have one left. :) 
<DM> ok, what next? 
> Mialee opens the southeastern door.
> Flint opens the NE door.
<DM> Flint Succeeds, Mialee does not. 
<Mialee> Let's go NE :) 
<DM> Flint looks into a circular stairway, leading up. 
<DM> refresh 
<Mordin> Do we want to go up or clear out the rest of the level? 
<Mialee> Clear the level.  Flint, want to try the SE door? :) 
<Jozlan> lets finish this floor 
> Flint opens the SE door.
<DM>      As soon as Flint touches the Sentinel to the south 
<DM> eastern wall, the wall swings quietly away from him 
<DM> revealing a short passage leading into a circular room. 
<DM>      This room seems to be unoccupied. With the exception 
<DM> of a circular area in the centre of the floor, the walls, 
<DM> floor and coiling are of a smooth pale grey stone. The 
<DM> circular area contains a stark spiral pattern in black and 
<DM> white. 
<DM> refresh 
> Mialee examines the spiral pattern.
<DM>      As soon as Mialee touches the circular area in the 
<DM> middle of the room, she feels a familiar sensation.  It is 
<DM> the same sensation she felt in the dungeons below the keep 
<DM> of Karak the Sorcerer, in the small circular room near 
<DM> where they once rested on that early episode in their 
<DM> adventuring career. 
<Icarius> hmmm 
<Mialee> Really. 
*** << <Flint> << Sentinel: Any Idea what this is? 
<Mialee> Interesting.  I don't remember the circumstances. :) 
*** >> <Flint> >> to Flint:  the Sentinel is silent. 
<Flint> Right, Let's head up then. 
<Mialee> OK. 
*** >> <Flint> >> to Flint:  recall that the sentinel said that it wouldn't be
    communicative until you found the Gauntlet 
*** >> <Flint> >> to Flint:  for fear that it would give itself away. 
*** << <Flint> << Right. :) 
<Jozlan> I remember you feeling that way, but I don't remember exactly what
    became of it :) 
*** >> <Mialee> >> to Mialee:   you feel a sort of thrumming sensation. 
<Mialee> Right, me neither. 
<Mialee> I don't think we ever figured out what the deal was with it. 
<Jozlan> are there any markings, written stuff? 
<DM> come to think of it, you might not have figured out what that was, then. 
    :) 
<DM> on the circle?  no. 
<Mialee> Anywhere else in the room? 
<DM> no, just smooth grey stone. 
> Mialee stands on the circle and concentrates on the sensation.
<DM> nothing, sorry 
<Mialee> Well.  Hm. 
<Mialee> I guess we should head upstairs then. 
<Jozlan> onward to glory! 
<DM> you just remember that it was a very similar sensation to the one you felt
    long ago. 
> Flint heads up the stairs.
> Mialee follows.
> Pengo goes too.
> Mordin shakes his head at Flint's determined manner.
<DM> Flint goes up and up. 
*** >> <Flint> >> to Flint:  you note that you have gone up at least 40-50 ft 
<DM>      At the top of the stairs there is a stone door with a 
<DM> large iron handle.   It would appear that the door is of 
<DM> the push to open variety. 
> Pengo checks it for traps.
> DM rolls secretly for Pengo
*** Private roll: 1d100 -> 26
<DM> Pengo doesn't find any traps 
> Pengo gestures that Flint can open the door.
<DM> Flint? 
> Mialee waits while Flint thinks about opening it.
> Mordin opens the door.
<DM>      The door swings quietly open.  Beyond it, there is a 
<DM> short platform, and then the stairs continue up.  On the 
<DM> south side of the platform there is a stout oaken door. 
<Flint> Sorry, Wrong window. 
> Pengo checks the oaken door for traps.
> DM rolls secretly for Pengo
*** Private roll: 1d100 -> 2
<DM> Pengo doesn't find any traps 
> Flint opens the door.
<DM> Are you all on the platform? 
<DM> Did you close the door behind you? 
<Mialee> Didn't close the door, certainly... 
<DM> ok 
<Mialee> I'm guessing the last row of us is still on the stairs 

   



<DM>      You cautiously open the door to the south, and peer 
<DM> into the room beyond. 
<DM>      The air in this room is filled with the strong smell 
<DM> of sweat and the sound of none-too-gentle snoring. Much of 
<DM> the floor is covered with straw on which sprawl half a 
<DM> dozen humanoids wearing leather armor. One of them is 
<DM> clutching a flagon. 
<DM>  
<Mialee> Oof. 
<Mialee> This might be a good time for Icarius to use one of those fireballs.
    :) 
<Mialee> (whispered) 
<DM> The humanoids look like the one you let go in Gannaway 
<Mialee> Well, if Icarius doesn't want to use one. 
<Icarius> i'm ready for some action 
> Pengo sneaks into the room and cuts the throat of one of the creatures.
<Pengo> Let's see if I can do this quietly. :) 
<DM> Not shown on the map is a door in the NW corner going west 
<Icarius> might be better to be quiet though :) 
*** Roll by DM: 6d10 -> 9 + 7 + 4 + 3 + 7 + 4 = 34
<DM> You are able to dispatch one quite easily. 
<Pengo> Did I awake any of them doing so? 
<DM> no 
<Pengo> OK... 
> Pengo slashes the next one's throat.
*** Roll by DM: 5d10 -> 3 + 7 + 5 + 2 + 10 = 27
<DM> ok, another is dead 
> Pengo cuts the next one's throat.
*** Roll by DM: 4d10 -> 6 + 7 + 7 + 6 = 26
<DM> ok, 3 are dead 
<DM> total, of 6 
> Pengo dispatches the next one, remaining as quiet as possible.
*** Roll by DM: 1d100 -> 2
*** Roll by DM: 3d10 -> 6 + 6 + 4 = 16
<DM> ok, 4 down, 2 to go. 
> Pengo kills the next one.
*** Roll by DM: 2d10 -> 1 + 10 = 11
<DM> this one wakes up and screams, or gurgles in his throat at least, waking
    the last one, before he dies. 
> Pengo turns and attacks the last one.
> Mordin attacks with his Battle Axe.
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d20 -> 5
<Pengo> D'oh :) 
<DM> the last one opens his eyes, grunts, and lunges to his feet 
> Mialee charges into the room.
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 16
<Mialee> Do I have a chance to attack before we roll, or not, given that I
    started outside the room? 
<DM> Mordin, you'll have to wait a round.  Pengo can attack, with initiative 
<Pengo> OK 
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d6 -> 2
<DM> no, Mialee, next round 
<DM> no, I meant you had automatic initiative 
<DM> but your 5 didn't hit. 
<Pengo> Oh, okay.  Yes. 
<DM> the gnoll swings back: 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 20
<Pengo> Oof. 
<DM> and lands a solid blow! 
*** Roll by DM: 1d8 -> 8
<Pengo> Ouch! 
<DM> He roars in triumph! 
<DM>  ------------------------------------ 
<DM> Round 1: Spellcasters, what will you cast this round? 
<Mialee> Melee 
<Jozlan> melee 
> Flint casts Cure Light Wounds on Pengo.
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 2
<DM> go ahead 
<DM> Initiative 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 4
<Mialee> Gnoll-boy got it. :) 
<DM> he swings at Mordin 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 9
<DM> misses 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 18
<DM> he's shouting incoherently 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d8 -> 5
*** Roll by Flint: 1D4+4 -> 1 + 4 = 5
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d20 -> 5
<Pengo> Thanks! 
> Mordin attacks with his Battle Axe.
> Jozlan bashes with his war hammer
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 10
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d20 -> 7
> Mialee hisses, "Kill it!  It's calling for help!"
<Mialee> for Vlix: 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 17
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 16
<DM> mordin kills it speedily 
<Mialee> Whew. 
<DM> But you hear some commotion in the next room. 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D8+6 -> 3 + 6 = 9
> Mialee curses heartily in elvish.
<Mialee> Hey... Icarius... open the door and fling a bomblet through. :) 
<Flint> A small one. 
<Mialee> Yes.  A small one. 
> Icarius opens the door enough to throw a small bomblet in 
<Mialee> Then close it again. :) 
> Icarius throws a small bomblet in
<DM> ok, he opens the door, and is facing a big, burly gnoll. 
<Mialee> Oops. 
<Mialee> Hold that thought. :) 
<DM> roll d6 for surprise (roll high) 
<Mialee> Back off, Ic! 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 6
<DM> the gnoll is NOT surprised. 
<Mialee> Ic? 
<DM> Icarius, we need a d6 from you. 
*** Roll by Icarius: 1d6 -> 5
<DM> ok, then roll for initiative 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 5
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 6
> Mialee hacks at it.
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 16
> Mordin attacks with his Battle Axe.
<DM> ok, Icarius, you can fling the bomblet in 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 17
<DM> wait a sec!!! 
<DM>  
<Mialee> Oh. 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D8+6 -> 7 + 6 = 13
<Mialee> I assumed this guy was blocking the whole door so we couldn't do that.
    :) 
<DM> We are at the door with Icarius 
<Mialee> Go Ic. :) 
<DM> It is his initiative. He can back off, parrying, or throw the bomblet 
<Icarius> let's go for the bomb. 
<Mialee> Fire in the hole! :) 
<DM> ok, with the thing blocking the door, you need to roll at least a 8 to not
    hit the gnoll in front of you. 
<DM> to NOT hit the gnoll 
<Icarius> 8/20? 
<DM> yes 
<Icarius> worst case, I hit the gnoll.  I like those odds :) 
*** Roll by Icarius: 1d20 -> 6
<Icarius> d'oh 
<DM> but if you hit the gnoll, it blows up in your face 
<DM> ieeeee 
> Mialee hits the deck.
> Pengo scrambles in reverse.
> Icarius curses loudly
<DM> one last chance, Icarius: if you can roll LESS than your dexterity (12 or
    less) on 5d6, you can catch the missile before it hits the ground. 
<DM> but then you get a -2 on your saving throw. 
<Icarius> I like those odds 
> Icarius says a quick prayer
<Mialee> I've heard that before :) 
*** Roll by Icarius: 5d6 -> 5 + 3 + 1 + 1 + 5 = 15
<DM> oops 
<Mialee> Seeya Ic. 
<DM> ok, roll your saving throw, while I roll his: 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 8
*** Roll by Icarius: 1d20 -> 13
<Icarius> -2 
<DM> nevertheless, it's enough to take half damage. 
<DM> the bomblet hits the floor and balloons into a fireball: 
*** Roll by DM: 3d6 -> 5 + 4 + 1 = 10
<DM> Icarius takes 5 damage, the gnoll takes 10 
<Mialee> Whew. 
<DM> It's pissed. 
> Mialee leaps to her feet.
<DM> it swings 
> Pengo approaches the doorway.
<DM> wait 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 2
<Pengo> (I know we don't get to attack now :) 
<DM> it misses Icarius, and hollars at his buddies behind him. 
<Mialee> Let's bottleneck it in the doorway so we only have to fight one at a
    time. 
<Icarius> good idea. 
<DM>  ------------------------------------ 
<DM> Round 1:   Icarius, you roll initiative, after saying if you're going to
    cast. 
<Icarius> be a great place to web :) 
<Mialee> Oooh.  It would be. 
<Icarius> I'll cast web 
*** Roll by Icarius: 1d6 -> 1
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 6
<Mialee> Keep 'em in the other room! 
> Flint casts Cure Light Wounds on Icarius.
<DM> your web goes off, but he's already through the doorway 
<DM> FLint, not now 
<Mialee> But should slow down the rest of them. 
<DM> He swings at Icarius 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 10
<DM> hits 
*** Roll by DM: 1d8 -> 8
> Icarius is in pain
<Mialee> Oof. 
<DM> Icarius is down. 
<DM> but the web is up, blocking the doorway. 
> Mialee attacks the one that got through.
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 18
<DM> and it's your turn. 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d8 -> 3
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d20 -> 18
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d4 -> 3
<Mialee> For Vlix: 
<DM> FLint go ahead with your CLW 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 15
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 3
<Mialee> Did that 15 for Vlix's sword hit? 
*** Roll by Flint: 1D4+4 -> 4 + 4 = 8
> Mordin attacks with his Battle Axe.  #
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 4
<DM> 14 hit, yes 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d8 -> 5
<DM> Mialee slices the head clean off! 
<Mialee> Sweet! 
<Icarius> thanks for avenging my death :) 
> Mialee curtsies.
<DM> Flint I'm going to say that since you were on your way to help Icarius,
    you got there in time to prevent his death. 
<Mialee> Oof. 
<DM> he's at 7 now. 
> Mialee takes a look at the gnolls and the web.
<Mialee> What's the status of that? 
> Icarius thanks the benevolent gods and promises not to do stupid things again
<DM> you can't really see through the web, but you hear the gnolls shouting. 
<DM> And then you hear a clanging sound. 
<Mialee> So... what do we do now? :) 
<Mialee> Clanging? 
<DM> you know, like an alarm? 
<Mialee> Damn. 
<Jozlan> oh drat 
<Jozlan> how long does chant last? 
> Mordin charges through the web.
<DM> Ever see an old western movie where they had a triangular piece of iron
    for the dinner bell? 
> Mialee slashes through the web to get to the rest of the gnolls.
<DM> as long as you chant 
<DM> Mordin is through, and Mialee is slashing 
<Jozlan> ok, thanks 
<Mordin> What do I see? 
<DM> You see a BUNCH of gnolls in a big room. 
<DM> there are 6 of them crowded near the door, and they are caught in the web. 
<DM> there are a bunch more beyond 
<Mialee> Now would be a good time for a sleep spell. 
<Mordin> Which one is sounding the alarm? 
<Icarius> am I in a condition to do that? 
> Mialee keeps charging into the room with the gnolls.
> Pengo plunges in as well.
<DM> One far off in the SW corner. 
<DM> Mialee is still slashing at the web. 
<Mordin> Burn the web! 
<Mialee> OK, how come I'm slashing at the web while Mordin is through it
    already? :) 
<Mordin> Because I'm a dwarf! 
<Mialee> Oh :) 
<DM> No, because Mordin is wearing a ring of free action 
<Mialee> Oh! 
<Mialee> Duh :) 
<Mordin> and I have a Ring of Free Action :) 
> Mialee sticks out her tongue at Mordin.
> Mialee keeps hacking away at the web, trying to get through.
> Pengo helps.
<DM> ok, this round, Mordin can do something, while Mialee hacks 
<Mialee> Find the one ringing the alarm and shut him up! 
<Mordin> Can I engage the one sounding the alarm? 
<DM> too far away for this round. 
<DM> but you do have time to clear the web if that's what you want to do. 
<DM> refresh, BTW 
> Mordin attacks the nearest free gnoll.  Out side the web. :)
<DM> There's a hallway leading N in the NW corner of the room you're in Mordin.
     2 more Gnolls are coming through it. 
<DM> roll initiative 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 6
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 3
<Mialee> Oh, that's Mordin.  Sorry. 
<Flint> Someone set fire to the web, there are probably trapped gnolls in it. 
<Mialee> Good idea. 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D6 -> 6
<DM> ok, 3 gnolls attack Mordin: 
> Mialee backs off.
<DM> roll again mordin 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 4
> Pengo does too.
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D6 -> 4
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 5
<Mialee> Who can torch it? 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D6 -> 3
<DM> like I said, 3 gnolls attack Mordin 
<DM> meanwhile, the rest of you can look for your tinderboxes,  :) 
*** Roll by DM: 3d20 -> 2 + 5 + 2 = 9
<DM> none hit 
> Mordin attacks with his Battle Axe.
<Mialee> Don't you have one, Flint? 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 1
<DM> miss! 
*** << <Mialee> << Do we all have a tinderbox, or...? 
<DM> (This is the downside of getting your light from a continual light spell
    :) 
<Mialee> Grr. 
> Flint gets out his tinderbox and sets fire to the web.
<Mialee> There ya go :) 
<DM> 2 rounds to do that Flint 
<Flint> That will take 2 rounds. :( 
<DM> Meanwhile, back at Mordin's Fight: 
> Mialee stays back and shouts encouragement to Mordin.
<DM> Round 2:  MORDIN roll initiative 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 4
<Flint> Yes, I was hoping the mage's had a faster source of fire. 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D6 -> 3
<Mialee> Not I. 
<DM> ok, 5 gnolls are surrounding Mordin now. 
*** Roll by DM: 5d20 -> 16 + 5 + 13 + 7 + 7 = 48
<DM> 2 hit 
*** Roll by DM: 2d8 -> 6 + 2 = 8
> Jozlan casts bless on mordin
<DM> too late for that Joz, though you could bless the rest of the party 
<Icarius> oops 
<DM> or start chanting, which WILL help Mordin 
<Flint> No good, Joz.  1) he is all ready in combat, 2) he is out of your sight
    to target. 
<DM> but only those within 30 ft of you, which at the moment  Mordin is not. 
<Mialee> So we keep waiting. :) 
*** >> <Jozlan> >> to Jozlan:  do a bless, Joz. 
*** >> <Jozlan> >> to Jozlan:  on the party 
<DM> Mordin, your turn on the gnolls. 
> Mordin tries to mposition his back to a wall while he attacks.
> Jozlan blesses the rest of the party
<DM> as a rule, take your second attack on even rounds, ok? 
<Mordin> Yes. 
<Mordin> That is the standard rule for multiple attacks. :) 
<Mordin> Do I give up both attacks this round inorder to get my back against a
    wall? 
<DM> so go ahead!  :) 
<DM> you mean, parry in order to move? 
<Mordin> Yes. 
<DM> I would say yes, if you're parrying, you can't attack. 
<DM> but since they already went this round, you should wait until next round
    anyway 
<Mordin> But I can get my back against the wall to limit the number of
    attackers? 
<DM> yes, if you parry 
<DM> it would limit them to 3 
<Mordin> That's my actions for next round then. 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 5
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 10
<DM> one hit 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D8+6 -> 6 + 6 = 12
<DM> you bring one down, opening an avenue of escape!  :) 
<Mordin> It's amazing how that works out. :) 
<DM> for the sake of arguement, I'm going to say that you're heading for the
    middle of the southern wall, ok? 
<Mordin> Okay. any wall in the middle of battle. :) 
<DM>  ------------------------------------ 
<DM> Round 3: Flint has his tinderbox out and is lighting a torch. 
<DM> Mordin, are you parrying and moving?  YEs?  ok, they try to attack you
    anyway. 
*** Roll by DM: 5d20 -> 14 + 7 + 9 + 15 + 6 = 51
*** >> <Mialee> >> to Mialee:  what's your bonus for parrying? 
<DM> oops 
*** >> <Mordin> >> to Mordin:  what's your bonus for parrying? 
<Mordin> I have no idea.  Let me look it up in the DMG. 
<DM> ahhh, I'll say you parried your way out. 
<DM> your back is against the wall. 
<DM>  ------------------------------------ 
<DM> Round 4: Spellcasters, what will you cast this round? 
<DM> Flint is lighting the web up. 
<Mialee> Nothing then. :) 
<DM> Initiative 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 5
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D6 -> 6
> Mordin attacks with his Battle Axe.
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 17
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 18
<DM> The web lights up, and the gnolls caught in it, scream in pain 
<Mialee> Woohoo! 
*** Roll by DM: 2d4 -> 3 + 3 = 6
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D8+6 -> 7 + 6 = 13
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D8+6 -> 3 + 6 = 9
<DM> MOrdin hacks the heads off two more of the foul creatures! 
<Mialee> Nice. 
<DM> 1 is left to strike back this round, as 5 more approach 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 17
<DM> hits for 
*** Roll by DM: 1d8 -> 1
> Mialee eagerly awaits the web's disintegration.
<Mordin> ouch. 
<DM> the web quickly burns away, but you see that the fireplace (which is
    shared with the room the rest of the party is in) is still a raging
    inferno! 
*** >> <Mordin> >> to Mordin:  how many hp do you have left? 
*** << <Mordin> << 11. 
<Mialee> Fireplace? 
<DM> yeah, check the picture.  the two rooms share a common fireplace in the
    west/east walls 
<Mialee> Ah :) 
<Mialee> Why's the fireplace a raging inferno...?  We didn't set the fire
    there. 
<Mialee> Odd. 
<Icarius> maybe they were burning up something they don't want us to see 
<DM> as the webs burn away, the 6 that were caught within them are staggering
    around, but 5 more are charging through the door in the NE 
       

<Mialee> Can we get through the door? 
<DM> yes,. you can. 
<DM>  ------------------------------------ 
<DM> Round 4: Spellcasters, what will you cast this round? 
> Mialee charges into the room.
<Mialee> I presume that's my action for the round. :) 
> Pengo enters as well.
> Jozlan follows
<DM> You could enter and attack 
<Mialee> Then I'll do that; melee. 
<DM> ok, let's set the scene: 
<DM> along the southern wall, there are 5 gnolls attacking Mordin... 
<DM> there are 2 working some sort of winch mechanism near the NE corner... 
<DM> there are 2 more working a winch mechanism near where Mordin is fighting 
<DM> there are 6 burned gnolls near the fireplace in the NE corner, ... 
<Mialee> We need to kill the ones with the winches first, I think. 
<DM> and there are 5 fresh gnolls pouring through the door 
<DM> to the NE 
<Mialee> Well, and I guess we need to help Mordin, too. 
<Mialee> If there's room to use it, might want to use one of the small
    bomblets.  I dunno if there's room or a good place to use one. 
<DM> Mialee, Pengo and Jozlan are mixed up in the NE corner, they are going to
    have to fight, I think. 
<Icarius> am I up and about or am I too uinjured to be useful? 
<DM> The room is tall enough, that Ic could use one, tossing it over someone's
    head if necessary. 
<DM> Yes Ic, you are at 7 hp if I recall. 
<Mialee> Sounds like a plan.  Toss one! 
<Flint> The 5 fresh ones might be a good target. 
<Icarius> you sure you don't think sleeping would be wiser? 
<DM> remember: 20 ft radius! 
<Mialee> Oh.  Sleep would be a good idea, if you have one left. 
<Icarius> I do 
<DM> you do? 
<Icarius> I should... I had 2, used one on the ants 
<DM> thought you used that on the ants 
<DM> you're correct. 
> Icarius enters the room and casts sleep
<DM> what's your target? 
<Icarius> the door with the new gnolls 
<Mialee> Aren't we right next to it/ :) 
<DM> ok, your friends are there 
<DM> they can be affected too 
<Flint> Are they coming through the NE door or the NW door? 
<Mialee> NE 
<Flint> WHOA.  WRONG TARGET! 
<DM> the fresh gnolls are coming through the NE door.  The ones from the NW
    passage are the ones operating the winch. 
<Icarius> the 2 wench ones and the 5 fighting mordin are all sufficiently close
    though? 
<Mialee> The ones fighting Mordin, you'd get Mordin too. 
<DM> yes 
<DM> But Mordin is made of stern stuff  :) 
<Icarius> I think i'll target those 7 (and mordin) 
*** Roll by Icarius: 2d4 -> 3 + 3 = 6
<DM> ok, six of the gnolls fall to the ground, fast asleep, leaving one at the
    winch, looking surprised, and droping the winch handle. 
<DM> the gate that he was raising crashes back to the ground. 
<Icarius> that's probably a good thing 
<Mialee> I bet. :) 
<DM> Vlix MMs a gnoll at the other winch 
*** Roll by DM: 1d4+1 -> 4 + 1 = 5
<DM> it grunts in pain but keeps cranking. 
<Mialee> Initiative yet? :) 
<DM> did we ever roll initiative? 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 5
<Mialee> No. 
<Flint> No. 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 6
<Mialee> Woot! 
> Mialee attacks the nearest gnoll.
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 18
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d8 -> 4
> Pengo stabs at the nearest gnoll.
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d20 -> 16
<DM> gimme a number, and whether its a burned one or not. 
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d4 -> 4
<Pengo> Uh, burned.  I have no idea what the numbers are. :) 
<Mialee> Burned. 
<DM> burned = 3-8 and others are 1-5 
<Pengo> 3 
<Mialee> 4 
> Flint attacks the gnoll MM'd by vlix.
<DM> Flint can't quite get there this round 
<DM> it's across the room in the NW corner. 
> Mordin attacks the one still standing after the sleep spell.
<DM> go 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 1
<Mordin> That was spectacularly bad. 
<DM> this is round 4 - take your second shot 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 16
<DM> hit 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D8+6 -> 8 + 6 = 14
<DM> he's spectacularly dead 
<Mialee> :) 
<DM> ok, Mialee and Pengo both killed a burned Gnoll. 
<Mialee> Excellent. 
<Mialee> How many gnolls are still standing? 
<DM> There are 5 fresh ones and 4 burned ones inthe group facing Flint,
    Icarius, Vlix Pengo 
<DM> and Jozlan 
<DM> there are 2 by the far winch 
<DM> and that's it. 
<Mialee> OK. 
<Mialee> What are Joz and Flint doing? 
<Jozlan> i'll attack one at random 
<DM> you happen to notice that there is a cauldron in the fireplace, and a huge
    column of flame is roaring from it, flames spewing out of the fireplace
    toward the ceiling 
<Mialee> Uh. 
<Flint> I'm headed for the far winch. 
<DM> ok, 5 gnolls + 4 get swings at the main group. 
*** Roll by DM: 9d20 -> 12 + 11 + 2 + 19 + 10 + 15 + 4 + 13 + 10 = 96
<DM> let me try that a little slower 
<Mialee> Any sign that it might be possible to put out the fire?  I'm getting
    worried about all that flame. 
<DM> the 4 burned gnolls, going after Mialee and Pengo 
*** Roll by DM: 4d20 -> 10 + 11 + 13 + 6 = 40
<DM> one hit on Pengo 
*** Roll by DM: 1d8 -> 1
<DM> 5 gnolls on Flint (passing through the area) Mialee, Icarius, Jozlan and
    Vlix 
*** Roll by DM: 5d20 -> 5 + 2 + 2 + 15 + 12 = 36
<DM> Jozlan and Vlix are hit. 
*** Roll by DM: 1d8 -> 4
*** Roll by DM: 1d8 -> 1
<Jozlan> could be worse 
<DM> the flames are mostly coming from some volatile stuff inside the cauldron 
<Mialee> They're not going to like burn the place down or something? 
<DM> it's too hot to go near, and the flames are licking up the wall.  Good
    thing the wall is made of stone. 
<Mialee> :) 
<DM> there is a tapestry above the fireplace, which is engulfed in flames. 
<Flint> What color are the flames, Blue? 
<DM> normal reddish yellow 
<Jozlan> can we tell what the tapestry used to be of? 
<DM> it stinks like burning oil 
<DM> are you fighting or admiring art? 
<DM> ok, moving on. 
<Mialee> :) 
<DM>  ------------------------------------ 
<DM> Round 5: Spellcasters, what will you cast this round? 
<Mialee> Nothing this round. 
<Flint> Melee 
<DM> Initiative 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 3
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 6
> Mialee attacks #5
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 11
<Pengo> #6 
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d20 -> 18
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d4 -> 2
<DM> Mialee hits 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d8 -> 5
<DM> Pengo doesn't quite kill his, but he's close. 
<DM> Mialee kills another burn victim. 
> Flint attacks the gnoll MM'd by Vlix.
> Jozlan attacks
*** Roll by Flint: 1D20 -> 14
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d20 -> 16
<DM> hit Flint 
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d8 -> 7
*** Roll by Flint: 1D6 -> 2
<DM> That's enough to take him down Flint 
<DM> Jozlan, was that attack on a burn victim or a fresh gnoll? 
<Jozlan> fresh one 
<DM> he's not down but he's hurt bad. 
<Mordin> Can I attack the ones on the main group this round? 
<DM> the two gnolls at the winch drop the winch and grab their weapons. 
<DM> yes, Mordin you can. 
> Mordin attacks an unburned gnoll on the main group.
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 4
<DM> no good 
*** >> <Mordin> >> to Mordin:  did you ever figure out what parrying did for
    you? 
<DM> their attacks, then. 
<DM> 2 burned gnolls on Mialee and Pengo. 
<Mordin> Parrying is not in the !st Ed. rules. :/ 
<DM> no wonder I couldn't find it.  :) 
*** Roll by DM: 2d20 -> 17 + 15 = 32
<DM> both hit 
*** Roll by DM: 2d8 -> 7 + 2 = 9
*** << <Mordin> << I remember it being introduced in a couple of Dragon
    articles. 
> Mialee is down to 7 hp.
<DM> 5 gnolls on ... 
<DM> Mordin, Mialee, Pengo, Jozlan and Vlix 
*** Roll by DM: 5d20 -> 10 + 11 + 5 + 4 + 4 = 34
<DM> all miss! 
<DM>  ------------------------------------ 
<DM> Round 6: Spellcasters, what will you cast this round? 
<Mialee> Melee 
<Jozlan> melee 
<DM> Initiative 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 1
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 5
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 12
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d20 -> 18
<Pengo> (on the burned guy I was fighting) 
<DM> Pengo and Mialee hit 
<Mialee> On, uh, I have no idea who's standing still, number wise :) 
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d4 -> 3
<DM> 2 burned guys 
<DM> 5 others 
<Mialee> The other burned one then :) 
> Jozlan attacks the injurned, unburned one fromn last round
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d8 -> 3
<DM> + 2 with Flint 
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d20 -> 2
<Mordin> On #1 (unburned). 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 3
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 9
<DM> the 9 hits 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D8+6 -> 7 + 6 = 13
*** Roll by Flint: 1D20 -> 1
<DM> all the burned guys are dead 
<DM> Mordin's guy is quite dead 
<DM> ok, 2 attack back at Flint 
*** Roll by DM: 2d20 -> 8 + 15 = 23
<DM> one hits. 
*** Roll by DM: 1d8 -> 5
<Flint> ouch. 
<DM> 4 fresh gnolls at mordin, Pengo, Jozlan and Vlix 
<DM> but before that, did anyone roll for Vlix> 
<Flint> No. 
<Mialee> for Vlix: 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 15
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 14
<DM> both hit 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d8 -> 8
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d4 -> 1
<DM> he brings one down! 
<Jozlan> sweet 
<DM> leaving 3, which will go after Mordin, Pengo and Jozlan 
*** Roll by DM: 3d20 -> 11 + 9 + 11 = 31
<DM> no hits! 
<Mialee> Great. 
<DM>  ------------------------------------ 
<DM> Round 7: Spellcasters, what will you cast this round? 
<Mialee> Melee. 
<Jozlan> same 
<Flint> Melee 
<DM> Initiative 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 4
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 1
<DM> BTW, I like what you guys are doing for the spellcaster response.  Ifjust
    one 
<DM> of the characters for each player answers negative that's enough.  Thanks.
    :) 
<DM> Ok, my turn I guess:  2 on Flint 
*** Roll by DM: 2d20 -> 4 + 8 = 12
<DM> both miss 
<DM> 3 on Mordin, Pengo and Jozlan 
*** Roll by DM: 3d20 -> 17 + 4 + 17 = 38
<DM> Mordin and Jozlan hit 
<DM> are hit 
*** Roll by DM: 2d8 -> 6 + 2 = 8
<DM> your turn 
<Mordin> Ouch. 
*** Roll by Flint: 1D20 -> 7
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 3
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d20 -> 14
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 19
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D8+6 -> 7 + 6 = 13
<DM> pengo and Mordin hit 
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d4 -> 2
<DM> Pengo, are you fighting with the Dagger? 
<Pengo> Yes. 
<Pengo> Have been all along :) 
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d20 -> 5
<DM> There's just one standing in this group. 
<Pengo> Why? 
<DM> Just curious. 
<DM> Vlix should swing 
<Mialee> for Vlix: 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 17
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 18
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d8 -> 6
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d4 -> 1
<DM> and VLix brings down the last one in this group! 
<DM>  ------------------------------------ 
<DM> Round 8: Spellcasters, what will you cast this round? 
<Jozlan> melee 
<Flint> Melee 
<DM> Initiative 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 3
*** Roll by Flint: 1D6 -> 4
*** Roll by Flint: 1D20 -> 8
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 3
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d20 -> 6
<DM> Here's the situation: 
<DM> 2 gnolls at the winch with Flint in the NW corner, 
<DM> The rest of you are in the NE corner 
> Mordin charges to help Flint.
<Mordin> Kill the sleeping ones! 
> Jozlan follows
<DM> Flint misses with his axe, but... 
<DM> when the other two see you all coming toward them, they bolt for the
    hallway to 
<DM> the north. 
<DM> So Mordin is charging, FLint was swinging, what is everyone else doing? 
<Mialee> I'm going to polish off the sleeping ones. 
<Pengo> As will I. 
<Pengo> Once that's done, we'll charge after the fleeing ones. 
<Mialee> Survey says...? 
<DM> ------------------------------------ 
<DM> Round 9: Here's the poop: 
<DM> Mialee and Pengo are busy killing the sleeping gnolls, 
<DM> while FLint and Mordin run around the corner (losing the momentum of the 
<DM> charge, I'm afraid) 
<DM> They see the two gnolls run up a short corridor, 
<DM> go to open a door on the eastern wall of the corridor. 
<Jozlan> I think we should do the sleeping ones now 
<Mialee> That's what I'm doing. 
<Pengo> Me too. 
<DM> You hear shouting coming from below the room you're in. 
<Mialee> Below it?  Hm. 
<DM> http://homepage.mac.com/thomascompter/Gauntlet/images/gnoll 
<DM> sattack.jpg 
<DM>      refresh 
<DM> ahhhch 
<DM> http://homepage.mac.com/thomascompter/Gauntlet/images/gnollsattack.jpg 
<DM> Ok, that's what it looked like when the fight started., 
<DM> Flint and Mordin, are you still chasing the gnolls? 
<Jozlan> what's the depression in the floor? 
<DM>      The room is large, irregular in plan, with arrow slits 
<DM> in the south- and west-facing walls. It is dominated by a 
<DM> strange looking contraption (seen in the picture of the 
<DM> gnolls attacking).  The device consists of several 
<DM> components, including a large, iron cauldron mounted on 
<DM> brackets in the fireplace. A pipe with a tap runs out from 
<DM> the base of the cauldron and down to an empty, blackened, 
<DM> shallow trough cut into the floor. On either side of the 
<DM> trough, three short runnels with metal sluices lead to 
<DM> holes in the floor. 
<DM> The cauldron is still burning wildly 
<Mialee> Possibly a way to pour hot oil on attackers? 
<Mialee> Anyway, I keep killing the sleeping gnolls. 
<DM> Flint and Mordin??? 
<Jozlan> ahh, good insight 
*** <reFlint> has entered the room.
<Mialee> reFlint. 
*** <Flint> has left the room.
<DM> since you're looking at it, Jozlan, you do see a lid of sorts sitting near
    the fireplace, which looks like it might fit the cauldron 
*** <reFlint> is now known as <Flint>
<DM> Hey Flint, You're chasing the last 2 gnolls up the short hallway to the
    north, where they are trying to open a door in the east wall. 
> Jozlan CAREFULLY tries to put the lid over the cauldron
<Flint> # 
<Flint> oops, haven't reloaded macros yet. 
<DM> the fire is pretty hot. 
<Flint> Attack the gnolls. 
*** <reMordin> has entered the room.
*** <Mordin> has left the room.
<DM> roll 3d6 under your dexterity 
<DM> (Jozlan) 
*** Roll by Jozlan: 3d6 -> 6 + 1 + 5 = 12
<DM> oops!  You miss, and burn yourself in the process!   1 hp 
<DM> Flint, roll initiative, then. 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 1
*** Roll by Flint: 1D6 -> 3
<DM> you reach the gnolls before they get the door open 
<DM> go ahead and attack 
*** Roll by Flint: 1D20 -> 19
*** Roll by Flint: 1D6 -> 5
<DM> one is cut down 
*** Room 8: Dungeon
    DM, Flint, Icarius, Jozlan, Mialee, Pengo, reMordin
<DM> Mordin? 
<reMordin> Am I there two? 
<reMordin> too? 
<Mialee> Yes. 
<DM> yes 
<DM> attack, please 
> reMordin attacks with his Axe.
*** Roll by reMordin: 1D20 -> 17
*** Roll by reMordin: 1D8+6 -> 8 + 6 = 14
<DM> he chops the other in half! 
*** <reMordin> is now known as <Mordin>
<DM> Whew! 
<DM> All the gnolls in the area that you can see are dead. 
<DM> You still hear some shouting coming from beneath you. 
<Mordin> We don't like gnolls very much. <EG> 
<Jozlan> hates thems, hates them we do 
<Mialee> :) 
<Mialee> So we've dispatched the sleeping ones then? 
<Mialee> Is the shouting coming from directly below us, or is it coming from
    outside? 
<DM> yes 
<DM> directly below you 
<DM>      The room is large, irregular in plan, with arrow slits 
<DM> in the south- and west-facing walls. It is dominated by a 
<DM> strange looking contraption (seen in the picture of the 
<DM> gnolls attacking).  The device consists of several 
<DM> components, including a large, iron cauldron mounted on 
<DM> brackets in the fireplace. A pipe with a tap runs out from 
<DM> the base of the cauldron and down to an empty, blackened, 
<DM> shallow trough cut into the floor. On either side of the 
<DM> trough, three short runnels with metal sluices lead to 
<DM> holes in the floor. 
<DM>      Closer inspection of these holes reveals that, 
<DM> immediately below floor level, they each sub-divide into 
<DM> six pipes sloping obliquely downwards. 
<DM> The cauldron is still burning. 
<Mialee> Is the tap hot? 
<DM> extremely! 
<Flint> Some kind of trap door in the floor, or did we miss a door on the
    stairs. 
<Mialee> Flint, you've got the gauntlet on.  Would it protect you from heat? 
<DM>      To either side of the trough, there are two winch 
<DM> mechanisms. Each winch has a crude bell attached to it. 
<DM>      There are three benches, four tables and eight chairs. 
<DM> There are also seven lockers standing against the western 
<DM> and southern walls. 
<Mialee> If so, open the tap and send the burning oil through the holes to the
    angry gnolls below. :) 
<DM> Other items around the room are flagons of wine, leather 
<DM> cups, pewter platters, some bone dice, bone counters, two 
<DM> whetstones and 25 torches in a bundle. 
> Flint opens the tap.
<DM> Flint has the SENTINEL on, you're trying to destroy the Gauntlet! 
<Mialee> Right, the sentinel. 
<Mialee> It's a glove, I think of it as a gauntlet, unfortunately. :) 
<DM> Flint opens the tap, and really really hot oil flows out, through the
    pipe, and into the trough 
<Flint> I think that was intentional. :) 
> Mialee watches the oil flow.
<DM> the trough soon fills up with oil... 
<DM> it's brimming over the top... 
> Flint shuts off the tap.
<Mialee> Huh? 
<DM> of the trough, I mean 
<DM> ok. The trough is full of oil 
<DM> it stinks. 
<Mialee> Wait.  I thought the trough had runnels that flow into holes. 
<Mialee> I'm confused now; how is the trough overflowing in that case? 
<DM> there are little -- let's call them valves -- that hold it in the trough 
<Flint> The tap delivers more oil into the trough than can drain away. 
> Mialee opens the valves.
<DM> On either side of the 
<DM> trough, three short runnels with metal sluices lead to 
<DM> holes in the floor. the sluices (valves) are still in place. 
<Mialee> I'd have opened them before we opened the tap had I known the sluices
    were there. :) 
> Mialee waits to see what happens when they're opened.
<DM> The fire in the cauldron is still raging away... 
<DM> do you open them then? 
<Mialee> (05:20 PM) > Mialee opens the valves. 
<Mialee> SO, yes. :) 
<DM> the oil quickly drains away, through the runnels and disappears through
    the holes in the floor. 
<Mialee> Any ruckus from downstairs? 
> Flint listens to the sounds from below.
<DM> It has quieted down a LITTLE, but there are still voices being heard. 
    It's far away and faint, but it sounds like an argument 
<DM> I need a station break.    can we take 10? 
<Jozlan> ok 
*** <DM> is now known as <AFK-DM>
<Mialee> Hm... so no sounds of screaming in agony? 
<Mialee> OK 
*** <Mialee> is now known as <AFK-Mialee>
*** <Flint> is now known as <AFK-Flint>
*** <AFK-DM> is now known as <DM>
*** <AFK-Flint> is now known as <Flint>
<Flint> What is the URL for the map? 
*** <AFK-Mialee> is now known as <Mialee>
<DM> what (s)he said.  :) 
<Flint> Thanks, I lost it when Finder quit on me. 
<Mialee> I'm ready to go on. 
<Jozlan> me too 
> Pengo checks all the lockers for traps.
<DM> Incidently, the thin whit lines in the walls (and the triangular white
    areas) are arrow slits. 
<DM> As you can see, this place was built for defense. 
<DM> refresh 
<DM> no dn't 
<DM> don't refresh :) 
<DM> oh, WTH, go ahead. 
<Pengo> Any traps on those lockers? 
> DM rolls secretly for Pengo
*** Private roll: 1d100 -> 35
<DM> Pengo doesn't find any traps 
> Pengo opens them in turn, looking inside.
<DM>      The lockers' contents are: 
<DM>  
<DM>      1 - 180 arrows. 
<DM>      2 - 10 longbows, 20 bow strings, lumps of resin and 
<DM> tools for the repair and maintenance of bows. 
<DM>      3 - 210 arrows. 
<DM>      4 - 240 arrows. 
<DM>      5 - Bandages, splints, pots of ointment and three 
<DM> glass bottles. 
<DM>      6 - 190 arrows. 
<DM> The fire in the cauldron is still raging away 
> Pengo takes this opportunity to grab some arrows.
<Pengo> I'll stock up to 48 arrows. 
<DM> And even with the 20 ft ceilings, the smoke in the air is getting a little
    thick 
<Pengo> Perhaps one of the clerics would find use for bandages and splints? 
> Mialee searches the corpses.
*** >> <Pengo> >> to Pengo:  do you have a bow?  You had a sling the last time
    I looked  :) 
<Pengo> Er, that was Mialee stocking up on arrows. :) 
<DM>      Their personal treasures are as follows: leader - 
<DM> 25gp, 30 sp plus a seal (with an eagle motif) made of 
<DM> jasper (value - 60gp); the others have 18gp each. One has a 
<DM> gold medallion (value - 21gp), and a silver table fork 
<DM> (value - 8gp). 
<Jozlan> i'll take the bandage stuff 
> Flint puts the lid on the cauldon.
<DM> The lid begins to glow red-hot, and then goes back to black. 
> Mialee also takes the resin and bow maintenance tools.
<Mialee> Might as well, since I have that skill. :) 
<DM>      There are seven jars next to the fire-place and each 
<DM> contains enough oil to fill the cauldron three times, but 
<DM> the oil is of a low grade. 
<Mialee> I think we can move along now, after gathering up the personal items
    off the gnolls. 
<Mialee> Lead on, Mr. Flint. 
<Jozlan> yeah 
<Mordin> Have we checked area 14a? 
<Mialee> No.  Let's go there now. 
> Flint heads for 14a.
<DM>      This room serves as the gatehouse for the castle. 
<DM> There are several arrow slits in the north wall, and there 
<DM> is some sort of a winch mechanism near the southern wall. 
<DM> There are a dozen stools in the room. Near the door that 
<DM> you entered in the southeast corner there's a door leading 
<DM> to the east.  Mounted to the north wall there are several 
<DM> quivers of arrows.   On the western wall there is a rack 
<DM> holding five crossbows.  Set into the eastern wall there's 
<DM> a fireplace which is apparently shared with the room 
<DM> beyond. 
<DM>      Between the winch and the northern wall, murder holes 
<DM> (vertical tubes about 6 inches across) lead down through 
<DM> the ceiling of the short passage outside the upper gate. 
<DM>      Near the winch there are 20 flasks of normal, 
<DM> inflammable oil with simple wicks. 
<Mialee> Hm. 
> Flint opens the door to the east.
<DM> Sorry, that door was open. 
<Mialee> Then let's have a look, shall we? 
> Flint enters
<DM>      This large room apparently serves as both a practice 
<DM> room and a barracks.  Along the southern side of the 
<DM> eastern wall are eight bunks made of wood and rope with 
<DM> straw mattresses.  There's a fireplace near the door which 
<DM> is apparently shared with the room beyond.  In the northern 
<DM> end of the room there is a large open space with several 
<DM> practice dummies.  There are also several targets mounted 
<DM> on the northern wall.  In the northwest corner there are 
<DM> several arrow slits facing to the northwest. 
<DM>  
<DM>      Scattered about the floor in the area where the bunks 
<DM> are you see several bits of clothing, armor and other junk. 
<DM> refresh 
> Mialee searches the stuff on the floor.
> Pengo searches the bunks.
<DM>      You do find one thing it's a bit odd.  Under one of 
<DM> the bunks there is a cloth sack. It's about 2 ft. by 4 ft., 
<DM> and it seemed to be almost empty.  However, when you picked 
<DM> it up, it seemed to weigh about 15 lbs!  Peering inside, 
<DM> you find 20 gold pieces and that's it. 
<Pengo> We take the coins out of the sack, but also take the sack. 
> Mialee wanders back into the previous room.
<DM> The empty sack still weighs about 15 pounds 
<Mialee> I wonder if we might want some of those cocktails. 
<Pengo> Really? 
> Pengo examines the sack more closely.
<DM> It looks like an ordinary burlap sack. 
> Pengo hums.
> Pengo gently places his sword, hilt down, into the bag.
<Pengo> Does the bag's weight change accordingly? 
<DM> It doesn't seem to, no. 
<Pengo> Ooooh. :) 
<Jozlan> bag of holding? 
<Pengo> So it appears. :) 
> Pengo removes his sword from the bag.
<Pengo> Definitely keeping the sack. :) 
<Pengo> So.  Shall we move along? 
<Mordin> Put the oil flasks in the sack. 
<Mialee> Hm.  Can we do that without the oil leaking out and damaging the sack? 
<Mialee> Anyone know? :) 
<Mordin> If it's a bag of holding we can. 
<Mialee> OK. 
> Mialee loads the flasks of oil into the sack.
<DM> They all go in without a problem. 
<Mialee> Still 15 pounds? 
<DM> yup 
<Mialee> Woohoo :) 
<Mialee> Shall we move along then? :) 
<DM> though now the bag has filled out a bit. 
<Mialee> Sure. :) 
<Mordin> We have cocktails. :) 
<Mialee> Indeed. 
*** >> <Mordin> >> to Mordin:  do you have a flame source to light them? 
<Flint> Lets try the door in the NW room. 
<Mialee> Yes. 
<Mialee> Let's. 
<DM>      The NW section of this room is very odd-shaped:   With 
<DM> its octagonal walls, you realize it must be part of the 
<DM> tower.  There are Arrow slits on five sides of the room. 
<DM> There is a door on the eastern wall.    Mounted on each 
<DM> wall are Arrow quivers.  There are three crossbows hanging 
<DM> from walls. 
*** << <Mordin> << Flint's torch? 
> Pengo checks the door for traps.
> DM rolls secretly for Pengo
*** Private roll: 1d100 -> 33
<DM> Pengo doesn't find any traps 
> Pengo stands aside to let Flint open it.
<Pengo> My new motto is "Put the guy with the Ring of Regeneration in front." 
<Mordin> Maybe we need to rest before we go on.  How badly hurt is everyone? 
<DM> Current Hit Points: 
<DM> Flint:   16 (29) 
<DM> Mordin:  5 (20) 
<DM> Mialee:  7 (19) 
<DM> Pengo:   13 (20) 
<DM> Icarius:  7 (16) 
<DM> Jozlan:  11 (18) 
<DM> Vlix:    11 (14) 
<Mialee> My worry about stopping to rest is that an alarm has been raised. 
> Flint casts Cure Light Wounds on Mordin.
*** Roll by Flint: 1D4+4 -> 3 + 4 = 7
<Mialee> I'm not opposed to resting, because we're pretty beat up, but I don't
    know if we *can*. 
<Flint> There, you're cured.  Now let's go. 
<DM> That was your last one, right, Flint? 
<Flint> Yes. 
<Mialee> In a pinch we do have healing potions. 
<Mialee> So, do we move on? 
<Mialee> Or try to find a place to rest? 
<Mordin> If we are going to walk into another battle, we better use them know. 
<Mordin> now. 
<Jozlan> yeah better 
<Mialee> OK. 
> Mialee drinks a healing potion.
*** Roll by Mialee: 2d4+2 -> 3 + 2 = 5 + 2 = 7
<Mialee> I have one left.  Who wants it? 
> Mialee gives it to Icarius, who's worst off.
<Mialee> And I have a CLW potion as well. 
<Mialee> Who wants it? 
<Mialee> Anyone? 
*** >> <Mialee> >> to Mialee:  mordin is probably the worst off after Icarius 
> Mialee gives the CLW potion to Mordin.
<Mordin> What are our current HP? 
*** >> <Mialee> >> to Mialee:  or pengo 
<DM> Current Hit Points: 
<DM> Flint:   20 (29) 
<DM> Mordin:  12 (20) 
<DM> Mialee:  14 (19) 
<DM> Pengo:   13 (20) 
<DM> Icarius:  7 (16) 
<DM> Jozlan:  11 (18) 
<DM> Vlix:    11 (14) 
<DM>  
<Mialee> So Icarius can roll 2d4+2 to get back HP.  I dunno what Mordin can
    roll with that CLW. :) 
<DM> d4+4, like usual 
<Mialee> OK. 
<Mialee> Joz has a Healing, and Flint has two of them. 
<Pengo> I have an extra healing, but nobody needs that many points back, so I
    figure we should save it. 
<Flint> I have 2 healing potions. 
> Mialee wonders if anyone will actually take the potions I gave them. :)
*** Roll by Icarius: 1d4+4 -> 4 + 4 = 8
<Flint> Mordin should use one and give the CLW to Jozlan. 
<Mialee> Good idea. 
*** Roll by Jozlan: 2d4+4 -> 2 + 4 = 6 + 4 = 10
<Flint> Icarius the potion is 2d4+2. 
<DM> try again, Joz, it's d4+4. 
<Mialee> Yeah, Icarius needed to roll 2d4+4 for his. 
<Mialee> Er, 2d4+2 
<DM> should we just turn it around, and give Mordin 10 and Icarius 8? 
<Mialee> Yeah, let's do that. 
<DM> no wait, I'm confused, now. 
<Flint> No, Jozlan has his own healing potion. 
<Mialee> Oh okay. 
<Mialee> Well, now I'm confused too. :) 
> Mialee shuts up.
<Mialee> Y'all just do whatever you want with the potions. :) 
<Flint> Icarius should roll 2d4+2. 
*** Roll by Icarius: 2d4+4 -> 2 + 1 = 3 + 4 = 7
<DM> ok, then Jozlan used his own potion, and got 10 back. 
<Pengo> I'm still down 7 or 8 depending on what you think my max hp is. :) 
> Mordin gives the CLW potion back to Mialee, and drinks one of Flint's healing
    ones.
> Mialee gives the CLW to Pengo.
<Mordin> 2d4+2 
> Pengo chugs it.
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d4+4 -> 3 + 4 = 7
<Mialee> Are we good to go now? 
<DM> wanna try that roll again, Mordin?  :) 
<Mordin> Yes, now that I've written the macro. :) 
*** Roll by Mordin: 2d4+2 -> 2 + 4 = 6 + 2 = 8
<DM> Current Hit Points: 
<DM> Flint:   20 (29) 
<DM> Mordin:  20 (20) 
<DM> Mialee:  14 (19) 
<DM> Pengo:   20 (20) 
<DM> Icarius: 14 (16) 
<DM> Jozlan:  18 (18) 
<DM> Vlix:    11 (14) 
<DM> If I'm correct, you have used all your healing potions except Pengo's 
<DM> Extra-healing, right? 
<Flint> No, Flint still has one healing. 
<DM> ok 
<DM> ok, then the party has one healing and one extra-healing. 
<DM> let's roll! 
> Flint opens the door.
<DM> You see a 10' platform, and a set of stairs going DOWN. 
<Mialee> Let's rock. 
> Flint attacks with his Axe.  heads down the stairs.
<DM>      At the bottom of the stairs there is a small landing, 
<DM> and a gate of thick sturdy bars. 
> Flint heads down the stairs.
<DM>      The gate slides vertically in slots cut into the 
<DM> doorframes. 
<DM>      Beyond the gate you see a plain room, hewn from solid 
<DM> rock, with blackened walls and ceiling. There are many 
<DM> suspicious holes in the ceiling, each about an inch across. 
<DM>      At the opposite corner of the room, you see a gate 
<DM> exactly like the one in front of you. 
<DM>      You can hear the muffled sound of voices which seem to 
<DM> be coming from somewhere in the hallway beyond. 
<Pengo> Hm.  Pretty sure I know where those holes come from. :) 
<DM>      You cannot understand what they say. 
<Pengo> I'm guessing we need to go back upstairs and worth the winches so we
    can get through the gates. :) 
<Flint> Right.  This looks pretty secure.  Let's head up the spiral stairs. 
<Mialee> OK.  I presume we're going up to open the gates? 
<Mialee> Wait, what spiral stairs? :) 
<Flint> We can come back and clean up later, let's find the Gauntlet. 
<Mialee> Clean up?  Don't you want to explore the first floor? 
*** >> <Flint> >> to Flint:   good job!   :) 
> Mialee is confused.
> DM is amused.
*** << <Flint> << Thanks, this is my style of play but if I keep it up too long
    I would get the rest of the party killed. :) 
<Mialee> The only place we haven't gone yet is through that gate. :) 
<DM> refresh 
<Mialee> Flint? 
> Mialee is trying to figure out if the Sentinel is telling Flint something.
<DM> Remember when you climbed the spiral stairs from the undercroft? 
<DM>      At the top of the stairs there is a stone door with a 
<DM> large iron handle.   It would appear that the door is of 
<DM> the push to open variety. 
<DM>      The door swings quietly open.  Beyond it, there is a 
<DM> short platform, and then the stairs continue up.  On the 
<DM> south side of the platform there is a stout oaken door. 
<Flint> No, the spiral stairs from the undercroft continued upwards.  We
    stopped on a landing and entered the 2nd floor. 
<Mialee> Oh yes. 
<Mialee> Good call. 
<DM> You went thorugh the stout oaken door, leaving the stone door open behind
    you. 
> Mialee is properly abashed.
<Mialee> Let's backtrack then. 
> Flint heads back to level 2.
<DM> You arrive in the big room. Smoke drifts lazily from the cauldron 
> Flint heads for the spiral stairs.
> Mialee follows.
> Pengo does too.
> Jozlan follows
<DM> you get to the spiral stairs, and the oaken door stands open, as does the
    stone door leading downstairs. 
> Mialee closes the doors.
<DM>      When you push the stone door closed, it all but 
<DM> disappears from view, leaving the impression of a plain 
<DM> stone wall. 
> Flint closes both doors and heads up stairs.
> Mialee follows.
<DM> The stair goes up for a while... 
*** >> <Flint> >> to Flint:  about 25 ft or so... 
<DM> and you come to another platform 
<DM> with a stout oaken door to the south.   The stair continues to spiral up
    beyond the platform. 
<Mialee> Shall we check out this floor then? 
<Flint> Yes. 
> Flint opens the door.
<DM> You cautiously open the door. 
<Flint> no. 
<Mialee> No? 
> Flint opens the door and enters.
<Flint> Weapon in hand. 
> Mialee follows.
<Pengo> Sigh. 
<Pengo> Me too. 
<DM> This room is filled with the smell of cooking meat. Seated in a chair
    before a fire at teh western end of the room is an ancient humanoid (gnoll)
    female. 
<DM> She's wearing a filthy leather apron and puffing on a huge pipe. 
<DM> She's holding a knobby staff, and is surrounded by five bristly dog-like
    creatures gnawing on bones. 
   

<DM> roll for surprise: 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 4
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 2
<DM> you are surprised for one segment. 
<DM> She hurls her pipe in your direction, 
<DM> and the smoke starts billowing out of it in a large noxious cloud. 
<DM> the dog-things jump up, and form a semi-circle around the woman 
<DM> You see her moving her lips and hands. 
<Mialee> Damn. 
<DM>  ------------------------------------ 
<DM> Round 1: Spellcasters, what will you cast this round? 
<Mialee> Can I try to web them to the floor? 
> Icarius twiddles his thumbs and makes sure he's far enough back to not be
    hurt
<Flint> Silence, 15' radius. 
<DM> no 
<Mialee> OK.  Then melee. :) 
<DM> Initiative 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 4
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 2
<DM> the smoke cloud steadily expands to engulf you.  Everyone needs to roll a
    saving throw vs. Poison. 
*** Roll by Flint: 1D20 -> 5
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 14
<DM> only Flint could make that :) 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 4
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d20 -> 3
<DM> Both Dwarves save 
*** Roll by Icarius: 1d20 -> 17
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d20 -> 10
<Flint> It's GOOD to be a dwarf. 
<DM> Icarius and Pengo Save 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 3
<DM> Vlix does not. :( 
<Jozlan> I guess I didn't either 
<Jozlan> good thing we healed up earlier 
<Mialee> :) 
<DM> those who did not save are overcome with a fit of hacking and coughing. 
    You can still move and fight, but at a -2 to hit, and a 2 penalty on AC. 
<DM> The hyenas advance. 
<DM> They attack Flint, Mordin, Mialee, Pengo and Jozlan 
*** Roll by DM: 5d20 -> 8 + 20 + 1 + 4 + 8 = 41
<DM> Mordin is hit by a growling demon-dog 
*** Roll by DM: 2d4 -> 4 + 3 = 7
<DM> sorry, that was Mialee 
<Mialee> Got it. 
<DM> your turn. 
> Mialee attacks the nearest hyena.
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 20
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d8 -> 6
> Pengo attacks #2.
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d20 -> 1
<Pengo> Oof. 
<Pengo> That can't be good when you're at -2 to hit. ;) 
> Jozlan attacks
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d20-2 -> 3 - 2 = 1
<DM> Vlix attempts to hide in shadows 
<Jozlan> oh my 
*** Private roll: 1d100 -> 89
> Flint casts his spell on her chair.
<Pengo> Wait, I saved, so I made the 1 then. ;) 
<DM> Flint noticed the woman suddenly stop talking, and mutter something, but
    of course, you can't hear her. 
<Mialee> :) 
<Mialee> Mordin? 
<DM> refresh 
> Mordin attacks dog # 3.
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 13
<DM> hit 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D8+6 -> 7 + 6 = 13
<DM> ugh!   It's hurt, but still snapping 
<DM>  ------------------------------------ 
<DM> Round 2: Spellcasters, what will you cast this round? 
<Mialee> Melee. 
> DM rolls secretly
<DM> Initiative 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 2
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 3
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20-2 -> 12 - 2 = 10
<Pengo> #2: 
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d20 -> 7
<Pengo> Pfft. 
<DM> Mialee hits #1 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d8 -> 7
<Mordin> M# 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 15
<DM> hit 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D8+6 -> 3 + 6 = 9
> Flint attacks dog #4.
*** Roll by Flint: 1D20 -> 17
> Jozlan attacks random dog
<DM> Mordin crushes hyena #3 
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d20-2 -> 20 - 2 = 18
<Jozlan> woohoo 
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d8 -> 6
<Mialee> Excellent. 
*** Roll by Flint: 1D6 -> 1
<DM> Vlix gives up trying hide in shadows (because he's coughing too hard) and
    attacks dog#5 
*** <DM> is now known as <DM2-2>
*** <DM2-2> is now known as <DM>
*** Unknown die specification.  Type /HELP ROLL for details.
*** Roll by DM: 1d20-2 -> 3 - 2 = 1
<DM> and fails miserably 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20-2 -> 13 - 2 = 11
<DM> but catches it with the dagger 
*** Roll by DM: 1d4 -> 2
<DM> the dogs of war return the attack. 
*** Roll by DM: 4d6 -> 5 + 5 + 1 + 6 = 17
<DM> 2 on Jozlan, 1 on Flint and 1 on Vlix 
<DM> on Jozlan: 
*** Roll by DM: 2d20 -> 3 + 10 = 13
<DM> one hits 
*** Roll by DM: 2d4 -> 3 + 4 = 7
<DM> Flint: 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 1
<DM> Vlix 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 4
<DM> The woman advances with her staff, and joins the pack of hyenas. 
<DM>  ------------------------------------ 
<DM> Round 3: Spellcasters, what will you cast this round? 
<Mialee> Melee. 
> Mordin attacks the woman.
<DM> Initiative 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 5
<Mialee> Doesn't Mordin get a second attack in even rounds? 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 4
<DM> if he remembers  :) 
<Mialee> Heh 
<DM> the woman attacks Mordin: 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 9
<Mordin> I did, but the lag time didn't. 
<DM> she misses 
*** Roll by DM: 4d6 -> 1 + 6 + 1 + 1 = 9
<DM> one dog after Vlix, and the others defend their Mistress, going after
    Mordin. 
<DM> on Vlix 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 13
*** Roll by DM: 2d4 -> 3 + 1 = 4
<DM> 3 attack Mordin. 
*** Roll by DM: 3d20 -> 11 + 6 + 17 = 34
<DM> 2 hit 
<DM> nope- one hit 
*** << <Mialee> << Just a heads up; I need to bail after this battle -- I'm
    starving :) 
*** Roll by DM: 2d4 -> 4 + 3 = 7
*** << <Mialee> << We're planning an IHOP run afterward. :) 
*** >> <Mialee> >> to Mialee:  ok, 
<Mialee> Our turn? 
<DM> yes 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20-2 -> 2 - 2 = 0
<Mialee> Oof. 
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d20 -> 18
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d4 -> 1
<Pengo> Grr. 
> Mordin attacks the woman.
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 20
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D8+6 -> 1 + 6 = 7
<Mialee> Woot! 
<DM> Vlix attacks one of the dogs. 
> Flint attacks a dog.
*** Roll by Flint: 1D20 -> 17
*** Roll by DM: 2d20 -> 20 + 8 = 28
*** Roll by Flint: 1D6 -> 3
> Jozlan attacks a random dog
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d20-2 -> 17 - 2 = 15
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d8 -> 5
<DM> Jozlan's hammer crushes a dog's head! 
*** Roll by DM: 1d8 -> 1
<DM>  ------------------------------------ 
<DM> Round 4: Spellcasters, what will you cast this round? 
> Jozlan melee
<Mialee> Melee. 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 5
<DM> Initiative 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 6
<Mialee> Sigh. 
<DM> the woman attacks Mordin 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 7
<DM> but misses 
<DM> the hyenas (3) attack Pengo, Flint and Jozlan 
*** Roll by DM: 3d20 -> 2 + 10 + 1 = 13
<DM> Flint is hit 
*** Roll by DM: 2d4 -> 1 + 4 = 5
*** << <Mialee> << Can I cast a spell off a scroll during combat just like a
    memorized spell, or how does that work? 
<DM> The door to the west opens at this point, and another female gnoll, in a
    slipshod dress, sticks her head in, screams, and slams the door shut. 
<Mialee> Oof. 
*** >> <Mialee> >> to Mialee:  yes, you can, 
<Mialee> Our turn? 
*** << <Mialee> << Next round, obviously :) 
<Mialee> Mm? 
<DM> yes 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20-2 -> 1 - 2 = -1
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d20 -> 18
> Mordin attacks the woman.
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d4 -> 3
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 4
> Flint attacks a dog.
*** Roll by Flint: 1D20 -> 19
> Jozlan attakcs a random dog
*** Roll by Flint: 1D6 -> 5
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d20-2 -> 10 - 2 = 8
*** >> <Mordin> >> to Mordin:  it's round # FOUR 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 13
<DM> miss, Jozlan 
<DM> hit, Mordin 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D8+6 -> 8 + 6 = 14
<Mialee> Woohoo :) 
<Mordin> That's going to leave a mark. 
<DM> She's down 
<DM> There's 2 hyenas left, 1 is badly wounded. 
<Mialee> Vlix? 
<DM>  ------------------------------------ 
<DM> Round 5: Spellcasters, what will you cast this round? 
<DM> ah yeah, vlix 
<Jozlan> go for the c'oup de grace 
<Mialee> :) 
<DM> ok back up 
<Flint> Melee 
*** Roll by DM: 2d20 -> 8 + 19 = 27
*** Roll by DM: 1d3 -> 3
<DM> Vlix gutted the wounded one with his dagger on the last round. 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 3
<Mialee> Sweet.  One left. 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 2
<Flint> A d3 for a dagger? 
<Mialee> Doesn't matter; he killed it :) 
<DM> oops 
<Mialee> Shh :) 
<DM> the last dog is in a frenzy, and attacks: 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 4
<DM> Pengo. 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 11
<DM> hits and does: 
*** Roll by DM: 2d4 -> 3 + 1 = 4
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20-2 -> 8 - 2 = 6
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d20 -> 1
<Pengo> Hmph. 
<DM> Vlix slides in: 
*** Roll by DM: 2d20 -> 14 + 12 = 26
*** Roll by DM: 1d8 -> 6
*** Roll by DM: 1d4 -> 4
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 15
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D8+6 -> 2 + 6 = 8
<DM> Mordin finishe s what Vlix started 
> Mialee searches the woman's body.
<DM> the dog collapses in a heap 
<Mialee> She got any cool magic stuff? :) 
> Flint heads for the west door.
<DM> She has a small gold brooch with tiger Eye stones, 
<DM> a fine pipe made of ebony (not the one she wwas smoking) 
<DM> a pipe of some strange pipe-weed 
<DM> the smoke clears 

<DM> Current Hit Points: 
<DM> Flint:   18 (29) 
<DM> Mordin:  13 (20) 
<DM> Mialee:  07 (19) 
<DM> Pengo:   16 (20) 
<DM> Icarius: 14 (16) 
<DM> Jozlan:  11 (18) 
<DM> Vlix:    07 (14) 


==================================================================================
June 13, 2004 
==================================================================================

<Mialee> We're in a pretty bad way, but I don't think we have any choice but to
    push onward. 
<Mialee> There's no way we can safely rest, not now. 
> Pengo quickly searches the room for anything interesting.
<Pengo> And...? :) 
<DM> Pengo finds the things you'd usually find in a castle kitchen.   the only
    difference being that none of the pots, pans or utensils is particularly
    clean 
<Pengo> Eeew. 
<DM> there is a cupboard, a sink, a fireplace and brick oven. 
> Pengo looks in the cupboard.
<Mialee> OK... do we go after the screaming females? 
<Mialee> Do we have an URL to a map of the floor we're on now? 
<Mialee> Heh. 
<DM> in the cupboard, you find some spices, a few vegetables rottening, and a
    few bottles of some bluish liquid. 

<Pengo> Any idea what the bluish liquid is? 
<DM> http://homepage.mac.com/thomascompter/Gauntlet/Floor3.html 
<DM> not that you can tell just by looking. 
> Pengo grabs them.
<Pengo> You never know. 
<Mialee> OK, guys, let's move. 
<DM> just remember, those are glass bottles, not wooden/metal flasks.  :) 
<Pengo> Hm. 
<Pengo> That could be gross. 
> Pengo puts them down.
<Pengo> :) 
<Mialee> What's over to the west in this room? 
<DM> The west end of the room is where the fireplace/oven is, ... 
<DM> and also the door through which the female gnolls stuck their heads. 
<DM> not to be confused with the open passage leading to the north in that end
    of the room. 
<Mialee> Did they close the door behind them? 
<DM> Yes 
<DM> The voices you hear (calling for help?)  are coming from the north
    passage. 
<DM> oops 
<Jozlan> let's give them a vow of silence 
<DM> As you stand there collecting your breath, you hear some muffled shouting
    from 
<DM> the passageway to the north.  It sounds like cries for help. 
<Pengo> Damn. 
> Mialee runs that way.
<DM> sorry, I meant to send that before Pengo asked about the kitchen. 
> Pengo follows.
   

<DM> It's a short passage, (20') with a door to the north and one to the east. 
<Mialee> Where are the voices from here? 
<DM> from the door to the east. 
> Pengo checks that door for traps.
> Mialee looks around, wondering where the others are.
<Mialee> Or are we just assuming they're tagging along? :) 
> DM rolls secretly for Pengo
*** Private roll: 1d100 -> 46
<DM> Pengo doesn't find any traps 
> Pengo opens the door and stands aside so the fighter can go in first.
<Pengo> (assuming he's here :) 
> Mordin Heads in the door.
<DM>      Slumped at the southern and of this small room are five 
<DM> wounded men. They are bound with rope and implore you to release 
<DM> them. The room appears to be a store for torches, firewood and 
<DM> coal. There are also some large earthenware jars. 
  

> Mialee asks the men what happened.
> Pengo looks in the jars.
<Men> "Please release us!" 
> Flint begins releasing the men.
<Jozlan> wait 
<Jozlan> should we check that they're not deluding us with an illusion? 
> Flint stops.
<Mialee> How did you wind up prisoners? 
<Mialee> Yes, we should. 
<SGTJones> My name is Sergeant Alan Jones.  This is Corporal Bob Smith, and the other 
     men are Charles Shoemaker, Daniel Cooperson, Edward Smithson, and 
      finally, Frederick Goldsmith. " 
      "We are all that is left of the garrison of 20 men that had 
      been stationed here.  At least as far as I know, no one else 
      survived the assault." 
> Flint disbelieves that he sees a bunch of prisioners.
> DM rolls secretly for Flint
<DM> They still look like prisoners to Flint. 
> Flint resumes releasing the poor prisioners.
<Mialee> How badly injured are you men? 
<Jozlan> ok, they probably are :) 
<Flint> They are just prisioners. 
<SGTJones>  Thank you for releasing us!   We are in your debt. 
      Is there anything you can do to abate the injuries that my 
      men have received?" 
<DM> When Sergeant Jones mentions this, you notice that he is the most 
<DM> seriously injured of all. 
> Mialee looks at the clerics.
<Jozlan> no healing spells left :( 
> Flint applies first aid to the men.

<Mialee> We have been fighting our way through this keep for some days now. 
    What can you tell us of the forces that have taken it? 
<SGTJones> Thank you for your efforts on our behalf. 
      "We were all amazed the ease with which the enemy was able to 
       take this castle.  The walls of this castle have never been 
       breached in the centuries that it has stood here!    The only thing 
       I can imagine is that they must have had some powerful magical item 
       to get through the gate.  Before we knew what was happening, the 
       halls here were swarming with those filthy gnolls." 
   

<Mialee> Yes, they do have a powerful magical artifact.  We're here to take it
    from them and put them in their place. 
<Mialee> Is there any help you can give us? 
<SGTJones>      " My men are all trained with the long and short sword.  They 
       are also trained with the crossbow.   In addition, Daniel and 
       Edward are quite handy with the long bow. " 
       "We are, of course, completely familiar with the defense of 
       the castle.   I believe I can speak for the rest of the men, in 
       saying that we would be glad to do anything we can to help repulse 
       the invaders. " 
<SGTJones>      "It would help if we could recover our armor." 
<Mialee> We would be honored to accept your aid. 
<Mialee> Do you know where it is? 
<Mialee> If not, we'll search for it as we make our way through this place. 
<SGTJones> No, when we were captured, they stripped us of our armor
    immediately, and threw us in here.  I saw some of the gnolls carrying the
    armor off, so I'd bet it's all together somewhere. 
<SGTJones> We've been in here for many days, and have heard them roaming around
    this floor. 
> Mordin realizes why the prisioners were being held in a storeroom near the
    kitchen.
<Jozlan> food? 
<Mialee> Oh my. 
<Mialee> All right. 
<Mialee> I presume the soldiers are completely unarmed right now? 
<SGTJones> yes, they took our arms as well. 
<Mialee> OK. 
> Mialee whispers to Pengo.
> Pengo nods and ducks out of the room.
*** >> <Pengo> >> to Pengo:  the earthenware jars were filled with oil 
<Flint> Grab what you can find for clubs from the firewood and come along. 
<Mialee> Wait a minute. 
> Pengo checks for traps on the door just to the north in this corridor.
<Flint> You can get better arms from the gnolls we kill. 
<Pengo> (and listens to see if he can hear anyone on the other side) 
> DM rolls secretly for Pengo
*** Private roll: 1d100 -> 96
<DM> Pengo doesn't find any traps 
<Mialee> I have a theory; their stuff may be in the very next room. 
<Pengo> Do I hear any sounds inside? 
<Mialee> I sent Pengo to check. 
<DMm> no 
<Mialee> He'll yell if he runs into trouble. 
> Mialee grins.
> Pengo opens the door cautiously and peeks inside.
<DMm>      This room is piled high with food-stuffs and other stores, but 
<DMm> there is a clear space along the western wall, and easy access to a 
<DMm> deep alcove in the eastern wall. There is no sign of any occupants. 
<DMm>  
<DMm>      The room contains large quantities of food, drink, tools, 
<DMm> timber, ropes, furniture and other miscellaneous items. 
<DMm>  
<DMm>      The eastern alcove contains a well. This is a circular hole 
<DMm> which is quite deep. There is a pulley on the ceiling directly 
<DMm> above the hole, and next to the well there is a winch for raising 
<DMm> the bucket. 
<DMm>  
   
<Pengo> Anything that might make a good weapon among the tools? 
<Pengo> "Good" being a relative term. 
<Icarius> the soldiers could probably use some food 
> Pengo gestures to Mialee, indicating that everyone should join him.
> Mialee heads into the next room, urging the others to follow.
<Pengo> There's food in here.  Hopefully everyone can find something that they
    can stomach. 
<DMm> Ok, you're all in the food storeroom. 
> Pengo examines the tools, looking for anything the soldiers could use as
    weapons.
<DMm> yes, there is some palatible food in here.  Some fruits and some cheese,
    bread, etc. 
> Flint checks the quality of the water in the well.
<DMm> There are some items that they could use as clubs. 
<Mialee> OK, we eat, quickly. 
<DMm> how does Flint do that?  It smells ok. 
>Mialee suggests to Sgt. Jones that he and his men take what they can as
    weapons. 
<DMm> The men follow Mialee's advice, and pick through the stuff to look for
    temporary weapons. 
<Mialee> (missed a key or two there ;) 
<Mialee> Feeling better, guys? 
<Flint> Any sign that it has been uses as anything other than a well. 
<Mialee> Eeew. :) 
<DM> No, FLint 
<Flint> In other words , any sign that things, waste have been thrown down it. 
<DM> It seems like even the gnolls knew they needed a supply of fresh water.  :) 
<Mialee> :) 
> Mialee hauls up the bucket and drinks deeply.
<DM> The men nod in agreement, as they much the bread and cheese. 
> Flint refills his waterskins.
<Mialee> Do I drop dead? :) 
<DMm> no, you feel refreshed. 
<Mialee> The water's fine. :) 
<Mialee> <-- canary 
> Icarius drinks up
<Mialee> All right, we'd better move on. 
<Mialee> Everyone ready to go? 
<DMm> btw, refresh, if you haven't lately 
> Mialee assumes everyone's ready and heads out the door and to the west.
> Pengo goes too.
<DMm> Don't forget folks, you can "call" the standard formations we talked
    about in the BB. 
<Mialee> We'll use standard marching order, and the order we discussed when we
    open doors. 
<Mialee> That makes sense. 
<Mialee> With the soldiers behind us for now. 
<Flint> SGT Jones, what is the fastest way to the chambers where the leader
    might be? 
<Mialee> We need to get their armor before we go assaulting the leader. 
*** <DMm> is now known as <SGTJones>
<SGTJones> Well, I don't know where the leaders of the invaders are, but it's
    likely they inhabited the rooms of the castelan, and they are upstairs. 
*** <SGTJones> is now known as <DM>
<Mialee> You know... room 14a, on the 2nd floor, had bows, arrows, etc. 
<DM>  
<DM> You step into the room to the west. This large hall looks like it was the 
<DM> "Great Hall"      In the center of this room is a long wooden table with a
    bench 
<DM> on either side, and a large, high-backed chair at one end. 
<DM> Scattered over the table and floor are the bones, scraps of food 
<DM> and broken vessels which the female gnolls were tidying up. 
<DM>  
<DM>      Hanging on the northern wall of the room is a tapestry which 
<DM> has been slashed to ribbons. The tapestry once depicted the 
<DM> building of the Keep, and was a very fine work of art. In its 
<DM> present state, however,  it is worthless. 
<Mialee> Do we want to go down there real quick and get weapons for the guys? 
<Mialee> Anyone in here? 
<Jozlan> we should 
<Jozlan> the more the merrier 
<DM> no, you don't see anyone in the hall at the moment. 
<Mialee> OK.  Let's head downstairs to 14a and arm the guys with bows. 
<Mialee> That'll be better than hammers and screwdrivers. :) 
<Flint> All right. 
<DM> ok, you make it back downstairs to the gateroom, and find... 
<Mialee> Uh-oh. :) 
<Flint> And it will keep them back from the fighting and still combat
    effective. 
<DM>  On the western wall there is 
<DM> a rack holding five crossbows. 
<Mialee> Excellent. :) 
<DM> Mounted to the north wall 
<DM> there are several quivers of arrows. 
<DM> err... bolts 
> Mialee recommends that the men gather what they need.
<DM> They do so, emptying the quivers, and grabbing a crossbow each. 
<Mialee> And, right, Flint -- with the crossbows, they can be effective
    fighters without too much immediate danger to themselves until we get them
    armored. 
<Mialee> OK, we head back up to the great hall now. 
<Jozlan> that should help our encounters 
<Mialee> Yes, much. :) 
<DM> Ok, you make it back up to the kitchen, and see that the door to the main
    hall is closed. 
<Mialee> Hum. :) 
<Mialee> Everyone ready for action? 
<Mordin> Those female gnolls. 
> Pengo approaches the door and listens for movement within.
> DM rolls secretly for Pengo
<DM> Pengo doesn't hear anything. 
<Pengo> OK, standard door opening formation. 
> Pengo flings the door open.
<DM> At the far end of the room, in the NW corner, there is one female gnoll
    standing by the door. 
<DM> when she sees the door open, she gives an "Eeeek!"  and darts through the
    door 
<Mialee> Heh 
<Mialee> We follow. 
> Mordin charges.
<DM> the door slams shut. 
<Pengo> Door opening formation again. 
> Pengo opens the door behind her.
<DM> note please that there are 2 doors in the north wall of this room. 
<DM> refresh if you haven't 
<Pengo> Yeah, we open the one she went through. 
<Pengo> Wait. 
<DM> not yet 
<Pengo> Not yet? 
<Mialee> If those doors both go to one room, perhaps we should split up and go
    in both doors. 
<DM> as you hurry past the first door, it opens, and 4 gnolls pour out 
<Mialee> Too late. :) 
<DM> roll for surprise 
<Mialee> Soldiers, get behind us! 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 4
<DM> ok, you're not surprised. 
<DM>  ------------------------------------ 
<DM> Round 1: Spellcasters, what will you cast this round? 
<Mialee> Nothing. 
<Jozlan> nada 
<Mordin> Nothing. 
> Mialee looks at Mordin.
<Flint> Me either. 
<Mialee> :) 
<DM> ok. so relative to the room, how are you going to deploy? 
<Flint> Room entering formation. 
<Mialee> Yeah, basically, although perhaps spread out a tad more.  With the
    soldiers behind us. 
<Mialee> Positioned so they can shoot past us, or around us. 
<DM> You're already in the room.  Which way is the formation going to face? 
    Remember, you're halfway through the room 
<Mialee> Well, facing the enemy. :) 
<DM> what was the url for your drawing board again, Shep?  Now's the time to
    use it if ever.  :) 
<Mialee> http://24.151.184.183/test.html 
<Flint> EVERYBODY BACK IN THE SW CORNER> 
> Flint attacks with his Axe.  !!!
<Mialee> :) 
<Flint> Form the fighters in an arc into the room. 
> Mialee lets Thomas sketch.
<Flint> Otherwise we will be attacked from behind. 
<DM> Should I try it?  the drawing I mean? 
<Jozlan> please do 
<Mialee> Yeah, this is a good time for it. 
<Mialee> The minute or two of drawing time will be worth it, I think. 
<Mialee> May I sketh a proposal for where we deploy? 
<DM> Ok, it's there, as of when the door opened behind you. 
<Mialee> sketch 
<DM> is there an eraser tool? or do you just box over in white? 
<Mialee> Box in white. 
<DM> ok, go ahead, Mialee. 
<Jozlan> the skull xbones erases all 
<DM> yeah, but then you erase my walls too.  :) 
<Mialee> Something like that. 
<Jozlan> looks nice :) 
<DM> ok, can everyone see that? 
<Flint> How large is this room? 
<Mialee> Actually, Pengo should be up front, but basically like that. 
<DM> 60x50 feet, approx 
<Mialee> There. :) 
<Pengo> That look reasonable? 
<DM> anyway, you jostle around, getting into position, but in that time, the
    gnolls sieze the initiative. 
<Mialee> OK. 
<Flint> No. 
<Mialee> No? 
<DM> and they attack. one each on the front rank 
<DM> no? 
<Flint> Fall back into the SE corner. 
<Mialee> You want to be cornered in that little nook? 
<Mordin> That should be a 20 x 20 nook. 
<Mialee> Still. 
<DM> actually 30x30 
<DM> you can discuss that for next round. 
*** Roll by DM: 4d20 -> 19 + 20 + 6 + 16 = 61
<Mordin> Get the reason? 
<Mialee> I see the possibility for bad guys to come out that other door, but I
    figured if we put Icarius and the soldiers back, they can cover it as well
    as us. 
<Mialee> Anyway, we're under attack. :) 
<Flint> No, we are about to be ambushed. :) 
<DM> all but Mordin are hit.  in order: 
*** Roll by DM: 3d8 -> 8 + 1 + 5 = 14
<DM> 8 on Jozlan 1 on pengo, and 5 on Flint 
<Mialee> OK, we'll retreat back into the nook then.  The soldiers can cover us
    while we move. 
<Mialee> If we all backtrack together, we can do it. 
<DM> Is that your action, then? if so, no attack this round. 
<Mialee> Yeah.  We stay in roughly the same order we're in, we just swing
    around and back into the nook. 
<DM> except for Flint, who could get one swipe since he's not 
<DM> moving too far. 
<Jozlan> better safe than dead 
<Mordin> Sounds good. 
<DM> ok, you wheel around to the nook, and Flint can swing 
> Flint attacks with his Axe.
*** Roll by Flint: 1D20 -> 12
<DM> hit! 
<Mialee> Will we all get into the nook this round? 
<DM> by the end of the round, yes 
*** Roll by Flint: 1D8 -> 6
<Mialee> OK... let me know when we're in, and I'll redo our positions on the
    diagram. 
<DM> Flint, are you using the magic hand axe or the battle axe? 
<DM> if the latter, it's d6 
<DM> rather if it's the former 
<DM> it's d6 
<Flint> Hand axe and shield. 
*** Roll by Flint: 1D6 -> 3
<DM> uhhhhh!   says the gnoll. 
<Mialee> :) 
<Mialee> Basically like that now? 
<DM> As you are settling into your new positions, 4 more gnolls popo through
    the other door, 
<Mialee> Good call, Flint. 
<DM> good except for Vlix, who you can't seem to see. 
<Mialee> He didn't make it in with us? 
<Flint> Thank you, but I had devine aid. 
<Mialee> (into the nook) 
<DM> Also, the soldiers climb up  on the window benches. 
<DM>  ------------------------------------ 
<DM> Round 2: Spellcasters, what will you cast this round? 
<Flint> Good, that way they can fire over us. 
<Icarius> no spells 
<Mialee> No spells, I'll use my bow. 
<Flint> Bad language? 
<Mialee> In fact, can I hop up on thos benches with the soldiers? :) 
<DM> Also, the opening would fit up to 4 abreast fighting.  Who will fill the
    gap? 
<DM> Yes Mialee you can 
<Mialee> Put Pengo up there. 
<DM> got it. 
<DM> Initiative 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 3
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 3
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 2
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 4
<Mialee> Where are the gnolls now, still heading this way, or on us? 
<DM> ok, since you're in the nook, they can get 5 in to fight you directly, the
    others are clambering around behind the front rank. 
<Mialee> So they're on top of us then. 
<DM> the four new ones are not. 
<DM> the others are. 
<Mialee> How many are there?  I thought there were 4 from each door. 
<DM> there are 8 total 
<Mialee> OK, so the first 4 are here, the other 4 are still on the way. 
<Mialee> There ya go :) 
<DM> right 
<DM> This could work out ok, but  I think I need a 3rd computer  :) 
<Mialee> Hehehe :) 
<DM> they attack, one on each. 
<Mialee> There.  They're even numbered now. :) 
<DM> but Mialee gets one shot first 
> Mialee shoots at number 4.
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 20
<Icarius> nice 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 3
<Flint> Nice shot. 
<Mialee> Thank you. 
<DM> ok. them: 
*** Roll by DM: 4d20 -> 10 + 15 + 6 + 16 = 47
<DM> pengo and Jozlan hit 
<DM> pengo takes 
*** Roll by DM: 1d8 -> 8
<Mialee> Ow. 
<Pengo> I mean, "ow." 
*** Roll by DM: 1d8 -> 4
<DM> jozllan takes 4 
<DM> Jozlan drops 
<Mialee> Oh-oh. 
<DM> your turn. 
<Jozlan> oof 
> Pengo slashes at #2
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d20 -> 5
<DM> the soldiers all fire at the onrushing gnolls in the back 
<Mialee> Do I shoot again now? 
<DM> yes 
<Mialee> At #4 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 5
<Mialee> Hmph. 
> Mordin attacks #3.
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 10
*** >> <Pengo> >> to Pengo:   next round, you should pull Joz back and
    administer the Xtra healing 
<DM> mordin hits. 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D8 -> 1
<Mialee> *plink* 
<DM> plus all the rest, right, Mordin? 
<Mordin> +6 for 7 total. 
<Mialee> Ah, better. :) 
*** Roll by DM: 5d20 -> 2 + 7 + 4 + 6 + 8 = 27
> Flint attacks #1.
<Mialee> Icarius, can you pull Joz out of the fray? 
*** Roll by Flint: 1D20 -> 12
> Icarius pulls joz back
<Mialee> Thanks. :) 
> Mialee waits to see if Flint hits.
*** Roll by DM: 2d4 -> 3 + 1 = 4
<Mialee> How do the soldiers do? 
<Flint> Two of them hit. 
<DM> The soldiers hit gnolls 5 & 6 
<Mialee> Ah, okay. 
<DM> flint hit, did he damage? 
*** Roll by Flint: 1D6 -> 4
<DM> and #1's head wings away 
*** >> <Pengo> >> to Pengo:  remember that PENGO is carrying the extra healing
    potion. 
*** << <Pengo> << Yeah. 
<DM>  ------------------------------------ 
<DM> Round 3: Spellcasters, what will you cast this round? 
<Mialee> Nothing. 
<DM> Initiative 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 6
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 6
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 3
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 4
<Mialee> Ugh. :) 
<DM> shucks 
*** <Flint> has left the room.
*** <Mordin> has left the room.
<Mialee> Oops. 
*** <Flint> has entered the room.
<DM> 's ok, we're pretty sure we know what they're gonna do, right? 
<Icarius> yep 
<Mialee> OK, this round, Mialee and Pengo are going to switch places so Pengo
    can administer his extra healing potion to Jozlan. 
<DM> Is anyone filling the gap left by Jozlan? 
<Mialee> Mialee will also switch to her sword.. 
*** <Mordin> has entered the room.
<Mialee> Where's Vlix? 
<Mialee> You said earlier we couldn't see him, but I don't know what's up with
    that. :) 
<DM> nowhere to be seen...  at the moment. 
<Mialee> reFlint, Mordin. 
<Mialee> OK. 
<Mialee> I don't think we have anyone that can fill that gap, unfortunately. 
<DM> they attack, with 2 on Mordin then. 
<Icarius> if they were casting magic I would 
*** Roll by DM: 4d20 -> 20 + 18 + 14 + 6 = 58
<DM> geeaz, these guys are good. :( 
<Mialee> Oof. 
<DM> one hit on each guy, top to bottom (Flint to Mordin) 
*** Roll by DM: 3d8 -> 3 + 4 + 2 = 9
> Pengo is down to 3 HP.
<Mialee> This is bad. 
<DM> you action 
<DM> YouR action 
> Mordin attacks with his Axe.
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 17
<Mialee> OK, Pengo and Mialee are switching places, and Mialee is switching to
    her sword while she moves. 
<Mialee> So we're not doing anything else this round. 
<Mialee> (unfortunately, but we need Joz back up. :) 
<DM> pengo could do something... 
<Pengo> I can? 
<Mordin> On #3 again. 
<DM> yeah, 
<Icarius> hit and run 
<Pengo> OK... I do that. 
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d20 -> 19
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D8+6 -> 2 + 6 = 8
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d6 -> 4
<Pengo> (on #2 
<DM> no not a hit and run.  you fell back. 
<Pengo> Oh. 
> Pengo administers the extra healing potion to Jozlan.
<DM> but now that you're back, you could do something. 
<Pengo> Like that? :) 
<DM> gnoll  number 3 wonders where his head went. 
<DM> ahhh! 
> Flint attacks with his Axe.   on #5.
*** Roll by Flint: 1D20 -> 12
*** Roll by Flint: 1D6 -> 1
<DM> the soldiers fire.. 
*** Roll by DM: 5d20 -> 4 + 2 + 4 + 7 + 18 = 35
<DM> one hit 
*** Roll by DM: 1d4+1 -> 1 + 1 = 2
<Flint> That must be SGT Jones. :) 
<Mialee> :) 
<DM> Gnoll #6 has 2 shafts protruding from his leg 
<DM> and suddenly, you see Vlix appear right behind Gnoll #8 
*** Roll by DM: 2d20 -> 18 + 6 = 24
<Icarius> good timing 
*** Roll by DM: 1d8 -> 7
*** Roll by DM: 1d4 -> 1
<Mialee> Whackety-whack :) 
<DM> and you see him skewer the gnoll, as an evil grin spreads over his dark
    countenance. 
<Mialee> Oof. :) 
<Mialee> Is the gnoll defunct? 
<Mialee> Yes, apparently. :) 
<DM> Did Pengo roll for the potion? 
<Pengo> No, not yet. 
<Pengo> What's the roll? 
<DM> 3d4+8 
*** Roll by Pengo: 3d4+8 -> 2 + 4 + 4 = 10 + 8 = 18
<Pengo> 18 points for Joz. :) 
<DM> yea! 
<DM>  ------------------------------------ 
<DM> Round 4: Spellcasters, what will you cast this round? 
<Jozlan> ahh, I neede that 
<Pengo> Now get your lazy butt back up there, man. ;) 
<Mialee> Nothing, I'm ready to slash away. 
<Flint> More bad language. :) 
<Pengo> Such language from a man of faith! 
<DM> What do you expect from an elf with a 6 charisma?  :) 
<Mialee> Flint's not an elf. 
<DM> Initiative 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 1
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 2
<Mialee> Woohoo! :) 
> Mialee hacks at #2
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 17
<DM> g7 will turn to face Vlix 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d8 -> 4
> Pengo switches to his sling and hops up onto one of the window benches.
<DM> the rest will face off against your lineup. 
> Mordin attacks #4.
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 3
> Flint attacks #5.
<Mialee> Or not.  They're not where I thought they were. 
<Mialee> Didn't Vlix kill #8? 
<Jozlan> I thought so 
<DM> yes, sorry 
<Jozlan> #5? 
<Jozlan> 6 
<Mialee> Yeah, #6 should be down there. 
<Mialee> Looking at that, transfer my swing to #4; I thought #2 was the one on
    me, but it's not really. 
<DM> ok? 
<Mialee> Yeah, looks good. 
<Mialee> So my 4 pts of damage go to #4. 
> Jozlan steps up and attacks 6
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d20 -> 7
<DM> Mialee drops #4 
> Flint attacks #2.
*** Roll by Flint: 1D20 -> 18
<Mialee> Go Flint! 
*** Roll by Flint: 1D6 -> 5
<DM> Flint separates the gnoll in two easy pieces. 
<Mialee> Sweet. 
> Mordin attacks #5.  Second attack.
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 2
<Mialee> Oof. 
<DM> where was the 1st attack? 
<Mialee> He missed. 
<Mordin> I'm keeping him busy, arn't I? 
<Mialee> Let's see... soldiers and Vlix remain for the round. 
<DM> vlix: 
<Mordin> I rolled a 3 before the shufflinging. :) 
*** Roll by DM: 2d20 -> 14 + 12 = 26
*** Roll by DM: 1d8 -> 7
*** Roll by DM: 1d4 -> 4
<Mialee> Sweet. :) 
<DM> he skewers another one. :) 
<DM> that leaves only 5 and 6 
<DM> the soldiers don't shoot, for fear of hitting one of you. 
<Mialee> Wise. 
<DM> the gnolls that are left panic, and flee for the door in the NW corner. 
<DM> NOW, the soldiers shoot. 
> Pengo aims for #6 with his sling.
*** Roll by DM: 5d20 -> 5 + 15 + 20 + 15 + 9 = 64
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d20 -> 16
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d4+1 -> 4 + 1 = 5
<DM> hit, pengo 
<DM> you drop one, and 3 bolts stick out of the back of the other, dropping
    him! 
<Mialee> Great work, all. 
<Jozlan> nice 
<Pengo> We search the corpses as usual. 
> Mialee grins at Sgt. Jones and his men.  "You boys are handy."
<DM> you find the usual small coinage: 20 cp and 20 sp on each one, as well as
    18 gp on each one. nothing unusual, though. 
<Mialee> How are our HP doing at this point? 
<DM> Current Hit Points: 
<DM> Flint:   10 (29) 
<DM> Mordin:  11 (20) 
<DM> Mialee:  07 (19) 
<DM> Pengo:   3 (20) 
<DM> Icarius: 14 (16) 
<DM> Jozlan:  18 (18) 
<Mialee> We only have one healing potion left, but if anyone's on the brink,
    we'd better use it. 
<Pengo> Oof. 
<Flint> We need to search behind those doors and then give some serious
    consideration to holing up and resting. 
<Mialee> Agreed. 
> Pengo peeks through the northwestern door, which is presumably still open
    from the gnolls coming through it.
<Jozlan> yes a good rest id warrented 
<Mialee> Finding a place to rest may be tricky. 
<DM> Vlix:    07 (14)  Pengo sees a small landing, and a stairway going up to
    the east 
*** <DM> is now known as <SGTJones>
> Pengo peeks through the door on the eastern end of the north wall.
<SGTJones> Yes, it would be tricky.  It would seem that these monsters have
    quite overrun the entire castle, and I don't know of any place that they do
    not control. 
*** <SGTJones> is now known as <DM>
<Mialee> Perhaps we could go back down to the Undercroft; we have already
    rested a couple of times down there without incident. 
<DM> refresh 
<Pengo> Anybody in 22? 
<DM>      This is an odd-shaped room with many arrow slits in the walls. 
<DM> There are also arrow quivers mounted on the walls here. 
<DM>      In the middle of the enlarged, western part of the room is a 
<DM> weapon rack with three wooden lockers on the floor beneath it. 
<DM> There are five longbows on the rack 
<Pengo> That looks promising. 
<Pengo> Any gnolls? 
<DM> The soldiers grab a longbow each, and discard the crossbows. 
<DM> no gnolls 
<DM> they also stock up on arrows. 
> Pengo examines the lockers.  I presume they're locked?
<DM>  
<DM>      There are several leather flagons lying about, with liquid of 
<DM> some sort spilled out of them. 
<DM> No, the lockers don't seem to be locked. 
> Pengo checks them each for traps.
<Flint> SGT Jones, Where does that stairway lead? 
> DM rolls secretly for Pengo
*** Private roll: 1d100 -> 33
<DM> Pengo doesn't find any traps 
> Pengo opens the three lockers.
<DM> the contents of the lockers 
<DM> are as follows: 
<DM>      1 - 180 arrows 
<DM>      2 - 225 arrows 
<DM>      3 - Bow strings, resin, tools, and other items for the repair 
<DM> and maintenance of bows. 
<Pengo> Hm. 
<Pengo> If you guys need any of this stuff, stock up. 
<DM> The soldiers grin, and grab some more arrows. 
<Mialee> All right... where do we want to go to try to rest? 
<DM> Of course, without portable quivers, they can only hold so many arrows. 
<Mialee> My feeling is the Undercroft is probably safest, but that's a lot of
    backtracking. 
*** >> <Mialee> >> to Mialee:  good idea re: Undercroft.  ;) 
*** << <Mialee> << :) 
<Icarius> it's probably worth it... we need to rest up and get some spells 
<Pengo> I think so too. 
<Pengo> Let's do that. 
<Pengo> It's worked before. :) 
<Mialee> All right; we backtrack to the Undercroft then. 
<Flint> Pengo, let me see one of those jars of blue liquid. 
<Mialee> And assuming we get there unmolested, we shut ourselves back up in
    that same room. 
<DM> you head for the circular staircase. 
<Pengo> I left them in the kitchen. 
<Pengo> I decided not to take them because they're glass. 
<Flint> SGT Jones:  Where does that stairway lead? 
<Flint> Between 21 and 22? 
<DM> and down the stairs, where you get to the level below, and see... 
<DM> the door to the barracks, and blank stone wall to the west 
*** >> <Flint> >> to Flint:  up to the east 
*** <DM> is now known as <SGTJones>
<SGTJones> That stair leads up to the castelan and his lieutenant's quarters. 
<Mialee> OK, Flint, the Sentinel will let you open the hidden door here. 
<Mialee> I hope. :) 
<SGTJones> Are you leaving the door to the barracks open? 
*** <SGTJones> is now known as <DM>
<Flint> That's where we need to go at this point. 
<Mialee> We need to rest first. 
> Mialee closes the barracks door.
<Flint> We can rest in the Castelans quarters. 
<Mialee> We don't have it in us for a big fight right now. 
<Mialee> We have to rest first; we're far too badly beaten up for another
    battle, which we will almost certainly encounter upstairs. 
<Flint> We have to stop the Gauntlet. 
*** >> <Flint> >> to Flint:   Mialee's reasoning seems to overcome your
    anxiousness... 
<Mialee> Yes, I know, but we can't do it if we're dead.  And we will be if we
    try another fight without rest. 
<Flint> Very well. 
<Mialee> OK, let's move on. 
> Flint Opens the door in the wall.
<DM> the door swings open silently 
*** <DM> is now known as <SGTJones>
<Mialee> We keep heading down to our room in the Undercroft. 
<SGTJones> Gasp!   A secret passage! 
<SGTJones> ?!?! 
<SGTJones>  
<Mialee> You weren't aware of it? 
<SGTJones> no!  It is news to me! 
<Mialee> Curious. 
<SGTJones> I didn't know there was any way into any section of the keep below
    the parapet level. 
<Mialee> You're in for a tour then. :) 
<Mialee> Let's go. 
<SGTJones> I know the doors on the road below go into what used to be the
    commerce area, but thought that to gain entry, one had to use the upper
    road. 
<Flint> Not really, probably the Castelan was the only one to know of it. 
<Mialee> True. 
*** <SGTJones> is now known as <DM>
<DM> you make it down the long flight of stairs to the undercroft, and emerge
    in the painted room. 
<Mialee> OK.  Let's head for room 6.  That room has been good to us. :) 
<DM> You make it back to that room without incident. 
<DM> the soldiers gape and gaw about. 
<Mialee> OK, we set up a standard watch, and settle in to rest. 
<Mialee> (of course, we close the door behind us. :) 
<DM> You notice that the 2 silent figures of the Cleric and Fighter still
    inhabit their alcoves. 
<Flint> We close every door behind us. 
<Flint> :) 
<Mialee> OK. 
<DM> good.  You make it through 4 hours of resting without interruption. 
<Mialee> Excellent. :) 
<DM> except for the one where the DM takes a quick station break. 
*** <DM> is now known as <AFK-DM>
<Flint> Good idea. 
<Mialee> My spells: (L1) Identify x1, Read Magic x1, Magic Missile x2; (L2)
    Web, Mirror Image 
> Flint puts an Ice Pack on Roger's back.
<Mialee> Ouch. 
<Mialee> (I just got back from a break a couple minutes ago :) 
<Mordin> To the ladies room? 
<Mialee> SOmething like that. ;) 
<Icarius> hehe 
<Mialee> Yeah, this drawboard thing comes in handy.  I'm definitely going to
    try to do some customization to it before next time. :) 
<Icarius> yep 
<Flint> Yes. :) 
<Mialee> Sure makes visualizing a fight easier. :) 
<Flint> And an explanation of the controls would be good.  That way I won't
    eraise everything again. :) 
<Mialee> Heh 
*** <AFK-DM> is now known as <DM>
<Flint> A little legend at the bottom of the page, maybe. 
<Mialee> It's an applet that can be embedded into a web page, so we could even
    put URLS to maps, a legend, that kind of thing into the page. 
<Mialee> Shoot, I could do a version of the page that also includes the web
    chat applet, so you could have both of those in one browser window. :D 
<Mialee> Not that I think that would be much fun. :) 
<DM> hehe 
<DM> ok, for other spells, should I assume::  ??? 
<DM> Jozlan 1st level:  3 Cure Light Wounds, Light, Bless 
<DM> Jozlan 2nd level:  2 Hold Person, Chant, Translate, Speak with Animals 
<DM> Jozlan 3rd level:  Dispel Magic 
<DM>  
<DM> Icarius 1st level:  2x Sleep 
<DM> Icarius 2nd level:  Web 
<DM>  
<DM> Flint 1st level:  5x Cure Light Wounds 
<DM> Flint 2nd level:  Silence 15' radius, Slow Poison, Find Traps 
<Icarius> yes 
<Jozlan> tes 
<Flint> yes. 
<Mialee> Does Joz really need Light?  We have a continual light, as well as a
    torch. 
<Mialee> Just thinking aloud. 
<Mialee> OK, so, who needs healing? :) 
<Pengo> I do!  I do! 
<Jozlan> good point 
<Mialee> Might trade in that Light for another CLW. 
<Flint> I suggest we heal everyone now. 
<Mialee> Yes, agreed. 
<Jozlan> yes, if it's not too late, i'd like to do that :) 
<DM> that's fine, Joz 
<Flint> Then, if we can, we should rest and relearn the healing spells we just
    cast. 
<Mialee> If the DM (er, the gods) will allow it. 
<Mialee> All right, let's heal. 
<Pengo> I'm down by 18. 
<Mialee> I'm down by 12. 
<DM> Current Hit Points: 
<DM> Flint:   10 (29) 
<DM> Mordin:  11 (20) 
<DM> Mialee:  07 (19) 
<DM> Pengo:   3 (20) 
<DM> Icarius: 14 (16) 
<DM> Jozlan:  18 (18) 
<DM> Vlix:    07 (14) 
<DM>  
> Pengo sees the DM still says his max HP is 20.
> Pengo sighs, gives up, and changes his sheet.
<Flint> What shape are the soldiers in? 
<DM> lessee.... 
<Mordin> What level are you Pengo? 
<DM> SGT Jones is really bad off, and Edward could use some help.  The others
    have only minor injuries that another rest period would take care of. 
<Pengo> I'm level 5. 
<Mordin> And what is your CON? 
<DM> BTW, add 1hp to all your scores that I just gave you. 
<Pengo> 9 
<DM> Mordin is back to max 
<Mordin> I am? 
<DM> Current Hit Points: 
<DM> Flint:   11 (29) 
<DM> Mordin:  20 (20) 
<DM> Mialee:  08 (19) 
<DM> Pengo:   4 (20) 
<DM> Icarius: 15 (16) 
<DM> Jozlan:  18 (18) 
<DM> Vlix:    08 (14) 
<DM>  
<DM> After 4 hours wearing a ring of regeneration?? Yep. 
<Pengo> I thought Flint was the one with the Ring of Regeneration. 
<Flint> I did too. 
<DM> oh.   oops. 
<Pengo> :) 
<DM> then Mordin has the free action? 
<Pengo> Yes. 
<DM> I should read my OWN webpages. 
<Pengo> Heh 
<Jozlan> :) 
<DM> ok, then Flint is back to max and Mordin isn't 
> Mialee smiles and stretches.
> Pengo picks his toes.
> Jozlan csts clw on pengo
<DM> So Mordin is at 12 
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d4+4 -> 4 + 4 = 8
<Mordin> All of a sudden I feel hurt. 
<Pengo> :) 
<Pengo> Now only down 8. :) 
<Jozlan> and again... 
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d4+4 -> 3 + 4 = 7
<Pengo> Thank you, kind sir. 
<DM> he's back to 19 
> Jozlan casts clw on vlix
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d4+4 -> 4 + 4 = 8
<Mialee> Nice. :) 
<Mialee> He's max. 
<DM> He's feeling chipper 
<Jozlan> and mialee 
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d4+4 -> 3 + 4 = 7
<Mialee> Now at 15/19. 
<Jozlan> flint can heal flint :) 
<Flint> What are the current totals, now? 
<DM> Current Hit Points: 
<DM> Flint:   29 (29) 
<DM> Mordin:  12 (20) 
<DM> Mialee:  15 (19) 
<DM> Pengo:   19 (20) 
<DM> Icarius: 15 (16) 
<DM> Jozlan:  18 (18) 
<DM> Vlix:    14 (14) 
> Flint casts Cure Light Wounds on Mordin
*** Roll by Flint: 1D4+4 -> 2 + 4 = 6
> Flint casts Cure Light Wounds on Mialee.
*** Roll by Flint: 1D4+4 -> 4 + 4 = 8
<Mialee> Don't forget Sgt. Jones and Edward. 
> Flint casts Cure Light Wounds on SGT Jones.
*** Roll by Flint: 1D4+4 -> 1 + 4 = 5
> Flint casts Cure Light Wounds on Edwards.
*** Roll by Flint: 1D4+4 -> 1 + 4 = 5
<DM> They thank you profusely 
<Flint> Now how does everyone look? 
<DM> Current Hit Points: 
<DM> Flint:   29 (29) 
<DM> Mordin:  18 (20) 
<DM> Mialee:  19 (19) 
<DM> Pengo:   19 (20) 
<DM> Icarius: 15 (16) 
<DM> Jozlan:  18 (18) 
<DM> Vlix:    14 (14) 
<DM>  
<DM> The soldiers all look fine, too. 
<Flint> One left. 
<Mialee> Do we want to rest one more cycle? 
> DM thinks that's a good idea
<Mialee> If so, I suggest using your last CLW on Mordin, so that he'll be max. 
<Mialee> Since he'd only be at 19 after just a rest. 
<Flint> Yes, otherwise we go back into battle with no healing reserve. 
<Mialee> Agreed. 
> Flint casts Cure Light Wounds on Mordin.
*** Roll by Flint: 1D4+4 -> 4 + 4 = 8
<DM> you won't get another hp back after 4 more hours, you need to wait 24 for
    that. 
<Mialee> Oh, okay. 
<Mialee> Then definitely use it. :) 
<Mordin> WHOA, That will cure a hangover in the morning. :) 
<Mialee> Mordin feels GOOD. :) 
<Mialee> OK, we settle in for four more hours of rest for the clerics at least. 
<DM> ok, all your cures are spent.  Are you going to settle in for another rest
    period? 
<Mialee> Yes. 
<DM> 4 hours pass without incident.  By the time the clerics have prayed for
    their spells, a total of about 10 hours has passed since you came down to
    this room. 
<Jozlan> let us show the heathen gnolls the price of their evil ways 
<Mialee> OK.  The down side to this rest is that the gnolls have had time to
    prepare.  But we had no choice, so let's do it. 
<Mialee> We still need to try to find armor for the soldiers. 
<Mialee> Let's move out, and head back up to the great hall. 
<Mialee> OK? :) 
> Pengo grips his silver sword and is ready for action.
<Pengo> Let's party. 
<DM> ok, you get up the stairs to where the secret door is. 
<Mialee> Hang on a sec. 
<Mialee> This is the spiral staircase, the one that's a secret door at the
    bottom, and here on the second floor, and keeps going up? 
<Mialee> If so, perhaps our best bet is to go up to the third floor using the
    secret staircase, instead of going through the great hall and normal
    passages. 
<Mialee> Might give us the element of surprise. 
<Mialee> Am I remembering right that this staircase keeps going up? 
<DM> Remember, the great hall is ON the 3rd floor 
<Icarius> a grand idea if ever there was one 
<DM> the staircase goes all the way from the undercroft to the third floor and
    beyond 
<Mialee> OK, let's keep going up the secret staircase. 
<DM> your BIG fight last time, in the room with the oil, etc was on the 2d
    floor 
<Mialee> If it remains all hidden doors all the way up, then it's our safest
    approach. 
<Mialee> Right. 
<DM> the secret door is on the 2d floor, made to look as if the staircase ends
    there. 
<Mialee> Oh, okay. 
<DM> none of the other doors are secret/ 
<Mialee> OK, I misunderstood then. 
<Mialee> OK, Flint, your call.  You're the one with the wonder glove. 
<Flint> So to get to the 4th floor we either head up the small stairs to the
    Castelan's quarters or the main spirl stairs. 
<DM> yes, that's what it seems 
<Mialee> Sgt. Jones, any idea where the spiral staircase leads? 
<Flint> SGT Jones, does the Castelan's quarters connect to the rest of the 4th
    floor? 
*** <DM> is now known as <SGTJones>
<SGTJones> Actually, the spiral stair leads from the 3rd floor to a turret at
    the 4th floor level 
<Mialee> OK, then that's not where we probably want to go.  Unless we want to
    see what's up there before we head for the Castelan's quarters. 
<SGTJones> the only way to the castellan's quarters that _I_ know about is the
    main stairs out of the Great Hall 
<Mialee> I say we take the spiral staircase; if there's another secret door up
    there, it could be very good for us. 
<Mialee> And even if there's not, it's worth checking out the tower. 
<Flint> Yes. 
<Mialee> OK, up the spiral stairs we go. 
<SGTJones> You're at teh back side to the secret door on Level 2 
*** <SGTJones> is now known as <DM>
<Mialee> Right, let's keep going up. 
*** >> <Flint> >> to Flint:  you need to open the door 
<Flint> Pengo listen at the door please. 
> Mialee listens.
<Mialee> er... 
> DM rolls secretly for Pengo
*** Private roll: 1d100 -> 4
> Pengo listens.
<DM> Pengo hears something moving on the other side.  It's very muffled by the
    stone door though 
> Pengo gestures that he hears movement.
<Mialee> Places, everyone. 
<Mialee> Standard door opening positions, with the soldiers in the rear. 
<Mialee> Except that Flint needs to open this door. :) 
<DM> right:) 
> Flint opens the door.
> Pengo attempts to hide in shadows.
<DM> you see a pair of gnolls heding up the stairs above you. 
*** <DM> is now known as <DM6>
*** <DM6> is now known as <DM>
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 6
<DM> they spin around quickly, and see 
<DM>  you 
<DM>  
<DM>  ------------------------------------ 
<DM> Round 1: Spellcasters, what will you cast this round? 
<Mialee> Let's rock. 
<Mialee> Nothing. 
<DM> Initiative 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 4
<Jozlan> nothing 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 3
> Mialee grips her sword firmly.
<Flint> nothing. 
<DM> They run up the stairs and are quickly out of sight. 
<DM> They are yelling as they go. 
<Mialee> Let's go! 
> Mialee charges up the stairs.
<DM> the door to the barracks level is open, BTW 
<Pengo> Yeah, that figures. 
> Pengo follows.
<Jozlan> onward! 
<DM> you get to the 3rd floor, and find the door to that level wide open 
<Mialee> We give chase. 
<DM> you hear shouting 
<Mialee> Through that door onto the 3rd level? 
<DM> it seems to be coming from the kitchen or beyond. 
<Mialee> I guess all our debate about the spiral stairs was moot. 
<Flint> Upward. 
<Mialee> Upward? 
<Mialee> OK. 
<Mialee> I find myself wishing I had Hold Portal memorized. :) 
<DM> the stairway goes another 1/3 of a turn, and ends in a trap door on the
    ceiling. 
<Mialee> Do we go up, or turn back?  Flint? 
> Flint opens the trap door and looks out.
<DM>      This octagonal room is empty except for a wooden locker in the 
<DM> centre of the floor. Six of its walls are pierced by arrow slits 
<DM> with metal shutters which are hanging open. 
<Pengo> Do you see anyone up there? 
> Pengo reaches into his bag of holding.
<Flint> Everybody up. 
> Mialee grabs Pengo and boosts him up.
> Mialee climbs up after.
<DM> you hear more shouting behind you. 
> Pengo withdraws one of the Molotov cocktails from the Bag of Holding and
    grins.
<Pengo> C'mon, guys, get up here. 
> Flint searches the two solid walls.
<Icarius> hehe 
<Pengo> One of you dwarves, be ready to light the wick on this thing for me. 
<DM> Flint doesn't find anything on the walls 
<Pengo> Is everyone up? 
> Mialee figures out what Pengo has in mind and is ready to slam the trap door
    shut after the cocktail goes down the hatch.
<DM> yes, the last of the soldiers :  SGT Jones, climbs up.  Below him, he can
    see a bunch of gnolls climing the stairs 
<Pengo> Mordin, do you have a light? 
<DM> climbing 
<Pengo> How close are the gnolls? 
<Jozlan> time for a gnoll barbecue 
> Pengo grins.
<Pengo> Mordin? 
<Pengo> Dammit, someone get ready to light this thing! 
> Mordin Strikes flint to steel to light the cocktail.
<DM> The gnolls are 20 ft away and 20 ft down 
<Pengo> Wait... 
<Pengo> Wait... 
<Pengo> I want to do this just as they're approaching the top. 
<DM> they are approaching the trap door  10 ft 
> Mialee will slam it shut right after the cocktail goes through.
<Pengo> Light it! 
> Mordin lights it.
> Pengo throws the cocktail through the hatch.
> Mialee slams the trapdoor shut.
<DM> you hear them howl in pain as the cocktail does its firey work. 
  
<Mialee> I presume they're still carrying on down there? 
<Icarius> should we spike the door? 
<Pengo> Do we want to heave another cocktail through? :) 
> Pengo reaches back into the bag.
<Mialee> Are the gnolls still down there? 
<Mialee> Can we hear them? 
<DM> the door heaves upward, as something from below bangs on it. 
<DM> what are you doing to keep the door closed? 
<Mordin> Get another one Pengo. 
> Pengo pulls out another cocktail.
<Mialee> Everyone, stand back! 
> Flint stands back.
> Mialee steps off the trapdoor.
<Mialee> When the first gnoll pops up, I'm going to kick it in the head, to try
    to knock it down again. 
<Mialee> If that works, light it and throw. 
> Mialee gets ready to kick.
<DM> Ok, the door heaves open, and a gnoll's head come up with it. 
<Mialee> Don't throw it if it's going to wind up in this room. 
> Mialee nails the gnoll in the head.
<DM> Initiative 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 2
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 4
> Mialee kicks.
> Mordin lights the cocktail.
<Mialee> All I want to do is knock it back down again. 
> Pengo prepares to throw.
<Pengo> Does the gnoll fall? 
<DM> You need to roll to kick 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 19
<Mialee> Woot! 
<DM> you kick it  d3 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d3 -> 3
<Mialee> Whack! 
<DM> it falls back 
> Pengo flings the lit cocktail through the door.
<DM> it crashes on the stairs below. 
> Flint Slams the door shut.
> Mialee backs away from the door.
<Mialee> I love it when a plan comes together. 
<Mialee> Everyone ready for action? 
<Mialee> Flint, coming up here was a good plan. :) 
<Mordin> How many more of those things do you have, Pengo? 
<Jozlan> bring em on! 
<Pengo> 18. :) 
<Icarius> I have my fireballs as well 
<Mialee> Let's save those for whoever's leading this crew of nasty gnolls. 
<Mialee> Any sign of activity downstairs? 
<DM> do recall that your mission is to SAVE this castle, not destroy it. 
<Mialee> :) 
<DM> no sign 
<Sean> Nobody Gnolls the trouble I've seen... 
> Mialee whips Sean with Vlix.
<DM> %-) 
> Mialee gestures to Flint to open the trap door.
> Mialee keeps her sword aimed at anything that might be below.
> Flint opens the door.
<DM> the staircase is empty 
<Mialee> Shall we stay or shall we go? 
> Pengo checks the locker for traps.
> DM rolls secretly for Pengo
*** Private roll: 1d100 -> 37
<DM> Pengo doesn't find any traps 
> Pengo opens it.
<Pengo> I bet it's more arrows, but it's worth a look. :) 
<DM>      The locker contains 250 arrows. 
<Pengo> OK. 
<Flint> We go. 
> Mialee takes a quick look out the arrow slits.
<Mialee> Anything of interest going on outside? 
<Mialee> Vast armies of gnolls assembling or anything nasty like that? :) 
<DM> not that you can see 
<Mialee> OK, let's go. 
<Mialee> We head down the stairs toward the 3rd floor door. 
<DM> you arrive at the door. 
<Mialee> Any dead or dying gnolls lying about? 
<Mialee> Is the door open or closed? 
<DM> not on the stairs 
<DM> open 
<Mialee> OK, battle formation.  Any gnolls right inside the door? 
<DM> not that you can see, although it looks like the ones you killed the day
    before have been moved, and piled in a corner. 
<Mialee> OK, let's go. 
<Flint> This is a trap. 
<DM> the door to the east is closed 
<Mialee> We need to clear the rooms as we pass them. 
<Mialee> The east? 
<DM> you're in room 18 on the 3rd floor 
<Mialee> You mean the west, right? 
<Mialee> There is no door to the east. :) 
<DM> yes, I meant the west.  :) 
<Mialee> OK, let's go check 19 and 20 real quick, to be sure nobody's up there. 
<Mialee> Let's leave a post here at the door into 21 though, to watch it. 
*** >> <sean> >>  do you want to play Vlix for the time you're here? 
> Mialee turns to Sgt. Jones.
*** << <Sean> << no - going to be leaving shortly 
<Mialee> Can you guys stand back here and watch that door?  If you stay back
    from it, you'll have time to get shots off and call us back before they get
    to you. 
*** <DM> is now known as <SGTJones>
<SGTJones> Yes, Ma'am? 
<Mialee> We should be gone less than a minute, unless we run into trouble. 
<SGTJones> rather -- Yes, Ma'am 
> Mialee nods.
<Mialee> OK, the rest of us head up and check rooms 19 and 20. 
<DM> The soldiers array themselves on the Eastern end of the room 18 
<Mialee> And watch that stairway door with half an eyeball, too. 
<Mialee> OK, so, are 19 and 20 clear? 
> Pengo pokes his head into room 19 first.
<DM> He doesn't see anything or anybody in there. 
> Pengo pokes his head into room 20.
<DM> nobody in 20 either. 
<Mialee> OK, we return to the soldiers. 
> Pengo listens at the door, trying to judge (a) if anyone's on the other side
    and (b) if they're close to the door.
<Mialee> Let's get into door opening formation, with Sgt. Jones and his men
    arrayed in the rear. 
> DM rolls secretly for Pengo
*** Private roll: 1d100 -> 95
<DM> Pengo doesn't hear anything. 
<Pengo> Are we ready? 
<Jozlan> ready 
<Pengo> OK. 
> Pengo flings the door open, steps back, and tries to become invisible, so to
    speak.
<DM> Mordin, you're in front?  roll for surprise. 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 6
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D6 -> 6
<Mialee> :) 
<DM> you see a squad of gnolls across the room, holding longbows. 
<DM> Initiative 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 4
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 1
<Jozlan> how many? 
<Mialee> Hey, we can reuse the same drawing we already had. :) 
<DM> almost a dozen 
<Flint> Ic, nows the time for one of your little beauties. 
<Mialee> Good idea. :) 
<DM> They all fire their bows at your front rank, and 
<Flint> Throw a small one. 
*** Roll by DM: 10d20 -> 13 + 12 + 9 + 13 + 2 + 19 + 12 + 12 + 17 + 3 = 112
<Icarius> I think sleep might be more judicious 
<Flint> No, the room is big enough.  Throw a medium one. 
<Mialee> I agree with Flint.  Toss a medium one. :) 
<Icarius> ok, fire in the hole 
<Mialee> Step up and let fly. :) 
<DM> He's not in a position to do that yet. 
<Mialee> No, not yet. :) 
<Icarius> ahh 
<DM> Flint gets hit by 4 arrows 
<Mialee> Oooh. 
*** Roll by DM: 4d6 -> 2 + 3 + 3 + 1 = 9
<Mialee> That could have been a lot worse. 
<Flint> That didn't hurt. 
<DM> they drop their bows and grab their axes. 
> Mialee grins.
<DM> remember, you're 60 ft away at this point 
<Mialee> Yeah.  Plenty of time for Icarius to advance and toss a little bead of
    love. 
<Mialee> Our turn? 
<DM> yes, your turn 
<Flint> Move into the SE corner again. 
<Mialee> If so, time to move, Ic. :) 
<Mialee> We're not even in the room yet. :) 
<DM> your move for this turn would be to do movement 
<Mialee> Would we not be better off staying in the kitchen and making them come
    through a door at us? 
<Flint> Okay. 
<Mialee> Can Icarius get in position and throw this round, or just the former? 
<DM> he could if everyone cleared out of his way. 
> Mialee steps aside.
> Flint Steps aside.
*** >> <Icarius> >> to Icarius:  personally, I thought your original idea was
    better  :) 
> Mordin steps aside.
<Mialee> Go, Ic. :) 
> Icarius throws a medium fireball
<DM> and sees a Whoosh!  as a flame erupts around the gnolls. 
<Mialee> Woohoo! 
> Sean has dibs on the dark meat
<Mialee> Heh 
*** Roll by DM: 5d6 -> 1 + 6 + 1 + 3 + 5 = 16
<Gnolls> aaaiiiiiiiiieeee! 
<Mialee> Nice job. 
<DM> and I assume he stepped back and closed the door? 
<Mialee> OK, anyone else get to go this round? :) 
<DM> no 
<Mialee> Yeah. 
<Mialee> OK, yeah. 
<Icarius> yes, i've been burned enough :) 
<Mialee> Heh. 
<Mialee> OK, everyone in position; there will be angry gnolls headed this way.  :) 
<Mialee> Does that door open toward or away from us? 
<Flint> If not, we can throw a large one next. 
<DM> toward. 
<Mialee> OK. 
<Mialee> Do we want to open that door, or wait for them to do it. 
> Flint opens the door.
> Mialee suggests that the soldiers be ready to fire as soon as they have
    targets.
<DM> and he sees the charred remains of a dozen or so gnolls in the middle of
    the floor. 
<Mialee> Oh, beautiful. 
<Mialee> I mean, gross, but in a good way. :) 
*** >> <Icarius> >> to Icarius:  that was WAAY overkill for gnolls. 
<Mialee> Nicely done, Icarius. 
<Flint> Let's go. 
<DM> you hear growling 
> Mordin Heads into the room and checks the nook to the SE.
<Mialee> Growling from where? 
<DM> roll for surprise, Mordin. 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 3
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D6 -> 2
> Mialee follows Mordin.
> Pengo goes too.
<DM> you are stunned to see that the nook is filled with huge wolf-like beasts,
    slavering and growling 
<Mialee> Oh dear. 
<Mialee> How many? 
<DM> they stand in front of a huge humanoid, (Ogre) 
  

<DM> and one rather large gnoll. 
<Flint> Ic.  Time for a second one. 
<Mialee> Agreed. 
<DM> the wargs rush out to attack, 
<Icarius> how far away are we? 
<Mialee> Where is everyone now? 
<Flint> It doesn't matter.  Throw it in the back. 
<Mialee> Need to know if Icarius is in a place to do that. :) 
<DM> no he's not. 
<Mialee> Oof.  No, I don't think a fireball is a good idea. 
<Mialee> Where's everyone else? 
<Flint> He will have to move into the room. 
<Icarius> it might be a real pyrrhic victory 
<Mialee> What's the little "f"? 
<DM> Flint 
<Mialee> And the big one? 
<Mialee> Typo? :) 
<DM> yeah 
<Mialee> OK. 
<DM> ok, 4 wargs attack Mordin 
*** Roll by DM: 4d20 -> 4 + 3 + 15 + 9 = 31
<Mialee> Well, Icarius, if you get into range with the Ogre and big gnoll still
    in the back corner like that, you might still toss a small bead at them. 
<DM> one hit 
*** Roll by DM: 2d4 -> 3 + 2 = 5
<DM> The ogre and the gnoll start easing to the west, around the wargs 
<DM>  ------------------------------------ 
<DM> Round 1: Spellcasters, what will you cast this round? 
<Icarius> mm on the gnoll 
<Mialee> I'll melee this round. 
<Mialee> Er, can I do that, given my current location? 
<Flint> Melee. 
<DM> Mialee, no 
<Mialee> OK, then MM. 
<Mialee> On the ogre. 
<DM> go ahead with the MMs 
*** Roll by Mialee: 2d4+2 -> 1 + 1 = 2 + 2 = 4
<DM> Ic? 
*** Roll by Icarius: 2d4+2 -> 3 + 3 = 6 + 2 = 8
<DM> Initiative 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 4
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 3
<Mialee> D'oh :) 
<DM> ok, 3 wargs on Mordin 
*** Roll by DM: 3d20 -> 11 + 7 + 4 = 22
<DM> none hit:  on Flint 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 1
<DM> miss 
<Mialee> Bit his own tongue. ;) 
<DM> The Ogre, meanwhile, takes his huge strides over to Flint, and swings his
    club. 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 3
<DM> but misses 
<DM> the gnoll starts running toward Pengo, but won't quite reach him. 
<DM> your turn. 
<Mialee> Did the ogre and flint get erased for a reason? :) 
<Mialee> Do I get any action still, or am I done, having cast MM? 
> Jozlan repositions himself near pengo and the gnoll
> Pengo steps up and slashes at the ogre.
<DM> you're done, unless you want to cast a 2d MM 
<Pengo> Er, gnoll. 
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d20 -> 2
<Pengo> Bah. 
<Mialee> Might as well. 
<Mialee> On the Gnoll. 
*** Roll by Mialee: 2d4+2 -> 4 + 4 = 8 + 2 = 10
<Mialee> Slam :) 
<DM> the Gnoll staggers back, clutching his chest. 
<Icarius> nice 
> Mialee grins.
> Flint attacks the Ogre.
*** Roll by Flint: 1D20 -> 8
<DM> hits, actually 
<Mialee> It's just that big. :) 
*** Roll by Flint: 1D6 -> 3
<DM> any other attacks? 
<Mialee> Mordin and Vlix haven't gone yet... 
<Flint> Sorry, d4 
*** Roll by Flint: 1D4 -> 3
<Mialee> Wow, big change. ;) 
<Flint> Hand axe only does 1d4 damage versus large creatures. 
<Mialee> Right. 
<DM> right, thanks 
> Mordin attacks Worg #2.
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 1
<DM> also a large creature, BTW 
<Mialee> And Vlix? 
> DM rolls secretly for Vlix
*** Private roll: 1d100 -> 100
<Mordin> No difference for battle axes. :) 
<DM> Vlix is moving slowly across the northern wall. 
<Mialee> Where is he now? 
<DM> there 
<Mialee> OK, cool, thanks. :) 
<Mialee> The map helps my brain deal with this. :) 
<Mialee> That it for this round? 
<DM> guess so., 
<DM>  ------------------------------------ 
<DM> Round 2: Spellcasters, what will you cast this round? 
<Mialee> Nothing. 
<Icarius> nothing 
<DM> Initiative 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 2
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 3
> Mialee advances toward warg #4.
<DM> you can engage 
<Mialee> I can attack this round? 
<DM> yes, that's what I meant by "engage"  :) 
<Mialee> Sorry, I was just surprised. :) 
> Mialee swings her longsword.
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 1
<Mialee> Bah. 
<DM> or not  :) 
> Pengo slashes at the gnoll.
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d20 -> 19
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d8 -> 2
> Mordin attacks Worg #2.
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 14
<DM> mordin hits 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D8+6 -> 3 + 6 = 9
<DM> Pengo kills the Gnoll! 
<Mialee> Those 2 points did it? :) 
> Pengo feels like the man.
> Mordin attacks again.
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 10
<DM> they finished him off, after the devastating magic missile of Mialee 
<Mialee> Right. 
> Mialee sticks out her tongue at Pengo.
<DM> hits, Mordin 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D8+6 -> 4 + 6 = 10
<Jozlan> am I too far away to attck the ogre this round? 
> Flint attacks the Ogre.
<DM> yes, since you were advancing to attack the gnoll 
*** Roll by Flint: 1D20 -> 17
*** Roll by Flint: 1D4 -> 2
> Jozlan repositions himself between flint and mordin
<DM> Mordin's damage from his second attack? 
<Mialee> *** Roll by Mordin: 1D8+6 -> 4 + 6 = 10 
<DM> the warg yowls in pain 
<Mialee> Hm... IM from Sarah; she's going to be home way earlier than I
    expected -- probably within an hour. 
<DM> ok, is that it? 
<Mialee> Vlix? 
<Mialee> And does Ic have anything to do? 
> Icarius twiddles his thumbs
> Mialee chuckles.
<DM> Vlix seems to be trying to sneak up behind the Ogre. 
<Mialee> Spiff :) 
<DM> my turn 
<DM> Ogre at Flint 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 16
*** Roll by DM: 1d10 -> 9
<DM> Worg at Jozlan 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 14
<DM> hits 
*** Roll by DM: 2d4 -> 2 + 3 = 5
<DM> 2 worgs at Mordin 
*** Roll by DM: 2d20 -> 4 + 6 = 10
<DM> and 1 at mialee 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 18
*** Roll by DM: 2d4 -> 4 + 2 = 6
<DM> That's it. 
<DM>  ------------------------------------ 
<DM> Round 3: Spellcasters, what will you cast this round? 
<Mialee> Melee. 
<Flint> Melee. 
<DM> Initiative 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 4
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 3
<DM> I go 
<DM> the Ogre on Flint 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 16
*** Roll by DM: 1d10 -> 10
<Mialee> Ow 
<DM> Flint drops 
<Mialee> Damn. 
<DM> the ogre roars in triumph 
<Flint> I have a point left. 
<Jozlan> ooh 
<DM> 1 worg on Jozlan 
<Mialee> Joz, you know what to do. 
<Jozlan> he'll get his :) 
<Mialee> Hehehe 
<DM> not by my count. 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 7
<DM> miss 
<DM> 2 on Mordin 
<Flint> 9 from arrows, 9 from the ogre, and 10 from the ogre. 
*** Roll by DM: 2d20 -> 19 + 10 = 29
<Mialee> Yeah. 
<Mialee> Unless you've regerenated a tick since some of that. 
<Mialee> regenerated 
<Mialee> Those first 9 were from the time Flint got hit by 4 arrows when we
    first opened the door into this room. 
<Flint> That's 28 points.  I had 29 points when full. 
<DM> I stand corrected 
<Mialee> :) 
<DM> Flint is at 1 point. 
<Mialee> How much does Mordin take? 
<Flint> And I stand back up. :) 
<Jozlan> still not too good 
<Jozlan> you might want to play dead 
<Mialee> :) 
*** Roll by DM: 2d4 -> 1 + 3 = 4
<DM> that's on Mordin 
<DM> warg on Mialee 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 6
<DM> miss 
<DM> your shot. 
> Pengo advances and gets between the ogre and Flint.
> Mialee swings at warg #4
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 18
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d12 -> 12
<Mialee> Bam! 
<DM> good shot 
<DM> Mordin? 
<DM> Anyone? 
<Mialee> My guys have both gone. :) 
<Pengo> Unless I had time to advance and attack, but I doubt it. :) 
<DM> Yes, you just moved 1o feet or so. go ahead 
<Pengo> Vlix? 
> Pengo swings with his sword.
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d20 -> 12
<Pengo> (At the ogre) 
> Flint activates a power of the Sentinel.
<Pengo> Time to moonwalk? :) 
<DM> Pengo hits with his sword 
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d8 -> 1
<Pengo> Plink. 
*** >> <Flint> >> to Flint:  what power?  The moonwalking? 
> Flint advances towards Vlix while appearing to back behind Jozlan.
<DM> Vlix swings at the Ogre's back 
<Mialee> Mordin? 
> Mordin attacks Worg #2.
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 19
<Mialee> Nice shot. 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D8+6 -> 3 + 6 = 9
*** >> <Flint> >> to Flint:  umm actually, you can go backwards while appearing
    to go forwards, but not the reverse  :) 
*** Roll by DM: 2d20 -> 6 + 19 = 25
*** Roll by DM: 1d3 -> 3
*** >> <Flint> >> to Flint:  so you could use it to retreat while appearing to
    attack, for instance. :) 
<Mialee> Hey! 
<Mialee> Where are the soldiers!? :) 
<DM> what? 
<DM> good point! 
<Mialee> We all forgot about them! :) 
<DM> you hear multiple twangs of bowstrings.  :) 
<Mialee> Hehehe :) 
*** Roll by DM: 5d20 -> 1 + 9 + 14 + 16 + 17 = 57
<DM> and the ogre sprouts 3 arrows in his chest, and falls over, dead. 
<Icarius> sweet 
<DM> The wargs, however, continue their ferocious attack. 
<Mialee> Now that's what I'm talking about. :) 
<Mialee> Something like that, anyway. :D 
<Mordin> How spry is Worg #2 feeling? 
<DM> that's hard for you to see. 
<Mialee> (BTW, I'll have to skip when this fight is done) 
<DM> Is that the end of the round? 
<Mialee> Yeah, think so. 
<DM>  ------------------------------------ 
<DM> Round 4: Spellcasters, what will you cast this round? 
<Mialee> Melee. 
<Mordin> CLW on myself. 
<Mialee> Mordin's channeling Flint again. 
<DM> I'll assume that was Flint.  :) 
<Flint> Nice try Mordin. 
<DM> Initiative 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 3
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 4
<DM> go 
> Mialee swings at warg #4.
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 14
<DM> hit 
> Pengo attacks warg #1.
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d12 -> 3
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d20 -> 20
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d8 -> 6
> Flint casts Cure Light Wounds on himself.
*** Roll by Flint: 1D4+4 -> 3 + 4 = 7
> Jozlan attacks worg 1
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d20 -> 9
> Mordin attacks Worg #2.
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 10
<DM> miss, joz 
<DM> hit, Mordin 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D8+6 -> 6 + 6 = 12
<DM> The warg is definitely in bad shape 
> Mordin attacks again.
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 3
<Mialee> Vlix and soldiers remain. 
<Mialee> Not sure the soldiers can do much with us in the way, although they
    might be able to make their way around the side. 
<DM> Vlix on the warg 1 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 16
<DM> right, that's what they'll do 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 20
*** Roll by DM: 1d8 -> 1
<DM> no 
*** Roll by DM: 1d12 -> 12
*** Roll by DM: 1d3 -> 2
<DM> that puppy is SPANKED! 
<Mialee> Heh. 
<DM> ok, one on Jozlan, Mordin and Mialee, repectively 
*** Roll by DM: 3d20 -> 2 + 5 + 9 = 16
<DM> no hits! 
<DM>  ------------------------------------ 
<DM> Round 4: Spellcasters, what will you cast this round? 
<Mialee> Melee. 
<DM> oops round 5 
<DM> Initiative 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 1
<Flint> Melee. 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 3
> Mialee swings at warg #4.
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 19
> Pengo advances and slashes at warg #2.
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d20 -> 1
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d12 -> 7
> Mordin attacks Worg #3.
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 7
<DM> #4 collapses in a heap 
<DM> hit Mordin 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D8+6 -> 2 + 6 = 8
> Jozlan attacks #1
<DM> #1 is dead 
<Jozlan> err, #2 
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d20 -> 19
<DM> 2 & 3 remain 
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d8 -> 5
> Flint advances to attack #2.
<DM> now only 3 remains! 
<Mialee> :) 
<Mialee> Can Flint reach #3? 
<DM> Not from where I see him. Not htis round 
<Flint> I doubt it. 
<Mialee> Where does he get to? 
<Mialee> OK. 
<DM> there 
<DM> he'll attack MOrdin again 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 18
<DM> and hit, for 
*** Roll by DM: 2d4 -> 3 + 3 = 6
<DM>  ------------------------------------ 
<DM> Round 6: Spellcasters, what will you cast this round? 
<Mialee> Melee. 
<DM> Initiative 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 3
<DM>  
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 1
*** Roll by DM: 1d4 -> 1
<DM> The warg, in its frenzy spins around and attacks Flint 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 7
<DM> and misses 
> Mialee swings at the last warg.
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 2
> Pengo steps forward and slashes at warg #3.
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d20 -> 13
<DM> your turn 
<DM> pengo hits 
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d8 -> 2
> Mordin attacks with his Axe.
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 5
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 6
<DM> hit, Mordin 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D8+6 -> 7 + 6 = 13
<DM> bothj times 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D8+6 -> 2 + 6 = 8
<DM> The beast breathes its last 
<Mialee> Excellent. 
<Mialee> OK, guys, sorry about this, but I gotta go.  Sarah will be back in
    town any minute, and I need to get ready so I can go pick her up. :) 
<DM> ok, see you next time 
<Mialee> This has been great -- I'll leave the whiteboard program running in
    case y'all want to use it. 
<Mialee> Seeya! :) 
*** <Pengo> has left the room.
> Icarius searches the bodies
<DM> does that mean we lose our nifty new mapping thingy? 
<Mialee> No, I'll leave it on. 
<DM> ok, good 
<Mialee> Let me know any stat changes I should be aware of. :) 
<Mialee> And what all else happens tonight. :) 

<DM> Current Hit Points: 
<DM> Flint:   9 (29) 
<DM> Mordin:  5 (20) 
<DM> Mialee:  13 (19) 
<DM> Pengo:   19 (20) 
<DM> Icarius: 15 (16) 
<DM> Jozlan:  13 (18) 
<DM> Vlix:    14 (14) 
<Mialee> And I'm totally going to work on customizing that thing for next time.
    :) 
<Mialee> Later! 
<DM>      On the body of the ogre, you find 44gp in a belt pouch, a belt 
<DM> buckle (gold set with turquoise and aquamarine, value -800gp) and 
<DM> the front cover of what (oddly enough) looks like a magic user's 
<DM> spell book hanging around his neck on a leather thong. It is 
<DM> encrusted with precious stones, and looks to be worth 200gp just 
<DM> for the stones . 
*** <Mialee> has left the room.
<DM> On the charred remains of the gnolls, you find the usual small change. 
<DM> On the other gnoll... 
<DM>      Searching the creature's body, you find 15 copper pieces, 30 
<DM> silver pieces, and 23 gold pieces.  He is also wearing some 
<DM> exceptionally well crafted bracers (25 gp). 
<DM> that's it for the body search. 
*** << <Flint> << Sentinel, is the guantlet here? 
<Icarius> interesting 
*** >> <Flint> >> to Flint:  no response 
<DM> while you all collect your thoughts, I need another potty break. 
*** <DM> is now known as <AFK-DM>
<Flint> I don't think we have found the boss yet, The Gauntlet isn't here. 
*** <AFK-DM> is now known as <DM>
<DM> ok. so, what's next? 
<Flint> We do some healing and press on up the stairs. 
<DM> Current Hit Points: 
<DM> Flint:   10 (29) 
<DM> Mordin:  5 (20) 
<DM> Mialee:  13 (19) 
<DM> Pengo:   19 (20) 
<DM> Icarius: 15 (16) 
<DM> Jozlan:  13 (18) 
<DM> Vlix:    14 (14) 
<DM> The soldiers are uninjured 
> Jozlan casts ck on mordin
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d4+4 -> 3 + 4 = 7
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d4+4 -> 2 + 4 = 6
<Jozlan> (both on mordin) 
<DM> ok, he's up to 18 
> Flint casts Cure Light Wounds on Jozlan
*** Roll by Flint: 1D4+4 -> 4 + 4 = 8
<DM> He's back to max 
> Flint casts Cure Light Wounds on Mialee
<Jozlan> maybe mialee should stay back and shoot arrows with the soldiers 
*** Roll by Flint: 1D4+4 -> 3 + 4 = 7
<DM> she's back to max 
<DM> Current Hit Points: 
<DM> Flint:   11 (29) 
<DM> Mordin:  18 (20) 
<DM> Mialee:  19 (19) 
<DM> Pengo:   19 (20) 
<DM> Icarius: 15 (16) 
<DM> Jozlan:  18 (18) 
<DM> Vlix:    14 (14) 
> Jozlan clw for flint
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d4+4 -> 2 + 4 = 6
<DM> Flint's back to 17 and climbing 
> Flint steps into the kitchen and checks out those bottles with the blue
    fluid.
<DM> ok, the fluid is a pale blue. The bottles look like they've been there
    awhile, aside from Pengo messing with them 
<Flint> Are the bottles still there? 
<DM> yes 
<Flint> Okay, are they sealed? 
<DM> they have a wax seal on their cork, if that's what you mean. 
<Flint> any imprint in the wax? 
<DM>  
<DM> You mean, like this? 
<DM>    _ 
<DM>  _| |_ 
<DM> |_   _| 
<DM>   |_| 
<DM>  
<Flint> Yes. 
<DM> well, actually, yes. 
> Flint opens a bottle and sniffs it.
<DM> it has a minty smell 
> Flint tastes it.
<DM> it tastes minty as well. 
> DM tries to remember how many bottles there were.
> Flint drinks it.
<DM> He feels instantly refreshed, recovering... 
*** Roll by DM: 1d4+4 -> 3 + 4 = 7
<DM> 7 hp 
<DM> Current Hit Points: 
<DM> Flint:   25 (29) 
<Flint> Right, lets take the rest of these along for the battle. 
<DM> there are 3 bottles left. 
<DM> but as I said before, these are glass bottles, not sturdy flasks. 
<Jozlan> we may need them later 
<Flint> Do you want to leave them here? 
<Icarius> do we have anythingwe could wrap them in? 
<DM> I'm not saying you can't take them. I'm just suggesting that they might
    not survive in someone's backpack, especially if you get into combat. 
<DM> Pengo brightens up and says: "Hey, let's put them in my bag!" 
<DM> he fishes the bag out of his backpack, and opens it. 
<Mordin> That's what I was thinking. :) 
<Flint> Thay should be safe in Pengo's bag. 
<DM> Pengo grabs the bottles and sticks them in the bag. 
<DM> and puts the bag back in his pack, and shoulders the pack. 
<Flint> Let's head up the stairs. 
<DM> which stairs? 
<Flint> To the Castelan's quarters. 
<DM> the stairs through the NW door, then? 
<Flint> No, We need to check and clear room 22. 
<DM> Ok, why don't Mordin or Flint take over as "caller" for the duration,
    since they are in the front rank anyway? 
<Flint> Pengo, listen at the door to 22. 
<DM>  
> DM rolls secretly for Pengo
<DM> Pengo doesn't hear anything 
> Flint opens the door.
> Mordin enters the room.
<DM>      This is an odd-shaped room with many arrow slits in the walls. 
<DM> There are also arrow quivers mounted on the walls here. 
<DM>      In the middle of the enlarged, western part of the room is a 
<DM> weapon rack with three wooden lockers on the floor beneath it. 
<Flint> Any body in here? 
<DM>      There are several leather flagons lying about, with liquid of 
<DM> some sort spilled out of them. 
<DM> no people or monsters. 
<Flint> Right, It's clear, Lets head up the stairs. 
> Icarius asks the soldiers about the liquid
<DM> SGT Jones picks up one of the flagons and sniffs. 
<DM>      The liquid smells like a malt beverage of some sort. 
<Icarius> hehe, well lets keep going then :) 
<DM> you getto the bottom of the stairs, and looking up, see that they go east
    for about 30 feet and turn north. 
<DM> http://homepage.mac.com/thomascompter/Gauntlet/floor4.html 
> Mordin heads up the stairs.
<DM> At the top of the stairs you find doors on the east and west. 
<DM> Pengo steps up and listens first at one door, then the other. 
> DM rolls secretly for Pengo
*** Private roll: 1d100 -> 76
<DM> Pengo doesn't hear anything 
<Flint> Pengo, do you hear anything at either door? 
<DM> no 
*** Room 8: Dungeon
    DM, Flint, Icarius, Jozlan, Mordin
<Flint> Let's take the east one first. 
> Flint opens the door.
> Mordin enters the room.
<DM>      This room was well furnished at one time but it has been 
<DM> reduced to a shambles. The furniture -a couple of chairs, a desk, a 
<DM> bed and a small, empty weapon rack - suggests that it was a 
<DM> bedroom/study. 
<DM>      http://homepage.mac.com/thomascompter/Gauntlet/images/ltsroom 
<DM> refresh on floor4.html, too 
<DM>      The desk had several drawers, but these have been pulled out 
<DM> and smashed. Their contents, consisting mostly of pieces of 
<DM> parchment, have been scattered around the room. The bed is unmade 
<DM> and dirty. Lying over it is a carpet, 
*** <DM> is now known as <SGTJones>
<SGTJones> This is where the Castellan's lieutenant lived. 
<SGTJones> He was a good man.  :( 
<SGTJones> The door across the hall leads to the armory, and the Castellan's
    quarters are beyond that. 
<Flint> No luck on that URL. 
<Icarius> we can get the soldiers some armor then 
> Flint looks under the carpet.
<DM> try adding .jpg to the end. 
<DM> an unmade bed, with cracks in the legs,as if too great a weight had
    been put on them 
*** <SGTJones> is now known as <DM>
<Flint> Right, Let's head through the west door. 
> Flint opens the west door.
> Mordin enters the room.
<DM>      The room is octagonal with a southward extension from the 
<DM> south-east corner. In the centre of the octagonal area is a weapon 
<DM> rack. Below this are four lockers on top of which lie heaps of 
<DM> swords and leather armor. Against the walls of the southern area 
<DM> are more racks, also with lockers beneath them. 
<DM> refresh 
<DM>      There are 14 longbows on the rack in the octagonal area. 
<DM> Edward exlaims:  "There's our armor, sergeant!"  pointing at the pile of
    armor 
<Flint> Everybody, gear up quietly. 
<DM> SGT Jones walks over to the pile, and inspects the armoro and weapons
    lying there, and says: "INdeed it is.  Ok, then, Suit up, men." 
<DM> They all take a few minutes to don their armor, and pick through the
    swords to find theirs. 
<DM>      Also in the southern part of the room is a bed of straw 
> Icarius looks through the straw
<DM> it smells like dogs. 
<Flint> The big gnoll probably sleep there. 
<DM> but you don't find anything but a few gnawed bones. 
<Flint> Everybody ready? 
<DM>      The weapon racks in the southern portion of the room hold: 
<DM> three battle axes, four daggers in scabbards, two footman's flails, 
<DM> 15 halberds, four footman's maces, eight spears, two bastard swords 
<DM> with scabbards, three broadswords with scabbards, eight longswords 
<DM> with scabbards and one two-handed sword. 
<DM> There is also a door in the middle of the southern wall. 
> Mordin checks the battle axes.
<DM> They are of fine workmanship, but not better than the one he owns. 
<Flint> Are we ready? 
<Icarius> ready 
<DM> ok. 
> Flint opens the door.
> Mordin enters the room.
<DM>  
<DM>      The sole occupant of this well-furnished room is a man-sized 
<DM> humanoid creature with brown skin and dark, unkempt hair. It looks 
<DM> mildly ridiculous since it is wearing a rich but ill-fitting robe. 
<DM> On its left hand there is a black, leather, studded gauntlet. 


<DM> When it sees you, the creature quickly brings its hands 
         together and mutters a word or two. For a moment, it is transparent 
         and then it vanishes completely. Some glittering shards hang 
         suspended in the air for a few seconds and then fall to the floor. 
<DM> (Beam me up, Scotty!  :) 
<DM> Realizing that its foe has eluded it, 
         the Sentinel sends out an anguished telepathic message to all 
         of you: 
         "What trickery is this? Is the Gauntlet in such awe of me that 
          it dare not face me? But wait, though it has gone I sense it 
          still.... It is close, yet I know not where. You must find it or 
          all our efforts will have been in vain!" 
<Icarius> most interesting 
<DM>  The room is well-furnished. There is a polished desk in the 
       center of the room with an open book on it, a four-poster bed 
       against the northern wall, and three comfortable-looking chairs 
       arranged around the fireplace in the eastern wall. Next to the 
       southern wall are a weapon rack, a chest and a bare manikin. The 
       floor is carpeted and there is a tapestry on the wall next to the 
       bed. 
<DM> In the SE corner alcove, you can see a trap door in the ceiling. 
<Flint> That's the way! 
> Flint opens the trapdoor.
> Flint heads up.
<DM> he a bit too short to reach the ceiling 
<DM> but along the southern wall, there is a ladder laying on the floor. 
<Icarius> use the chair 
<Flint> How short? 
<Icarius> or that :) 
> Mordin grabs the ladder and sets it in place.
> Flint climbs the ladder and opens the trapdoor.
    
<DM>      This room is empty except for a wooden locker in the center of 
<DM> the floor. It is octagonal and has an arrow slit in all but one of 
<DM> its walls. These slits have metal shutters which are hanging open. 
<Icarius> pengo checks the locker for traps 
> DM rolls secretly for Pengo
*** Private roll: 1d100 -> 6
<DM> Pengo doesn't find any traps 
<DM> on the locker inthe turret room 
*** <reFlint> has entered the room.
<DM>      The arrow slits of this room, and those of the north-western 
<DM> turret look out over the upper part of the roof of the Keep. 
*** Room 8: Dungeon
    DM, Flint, Icarius, Jozlan, Mordin, reFlint
<DM> boot flint 
*** <Flint> has left the room.
<DM> re Flint. :) 
*** <reMordin> has entered the room.
*** <reFlint> is now known as <Flint>
*** Room 8: Dungeon
    DM, Flint, Icarius, Jozlan, Mordin, reMordin
*** <Mordin> has left the room.
*** <reMordin> is now known as <Mordin>
<Icarius> ready? :) 
<DM> alrighty then, what are you doing next? 
<DM> Flint is still up in the turret, along with Pengo. 
<Flint> Looking out the shutters of room 28, can I see into room 26? 
<DM> you can see that there is a slit there, but you can't see any detail in
    the room. 
<DM> did I mention that there was a trapdoor in the ceiling of room 24 also? 
<Flint> Right, we need to find the trapdoor to 26 
<Flint> No. 
<DM> sorry, that's the 'c' in the diagram. 
<Flint> down the ladder and back to 24. 
<DM> or what looks like a toilet. :) 
<Icarius> ok 
<Flint> That's what I thought it was. :) 
<Flint> Is there a ladder in 24? 
<DM> So you make it back to room 24, and see the trapdoor in the ceiling. 
<DM> yes, now that you mention it, there is a ladder here too. 
<Mordin> Mordin grabs the ladder and sets it in place. 
<DM> Pengo scurries up the ladder, and opens the door. 
> Flint climbs the ladder and opens the trapdoor.
<DM> just behind Pengo. :) 
<DM>      This octagonal room is empty except for a wooden locker in the 
<DM> center. There are arrow slits in all but one of the walls, with 
<DM> metal shutters hanging open. 
<DM>      The arrow slits of this room, and those of the southern turret 
<DM> look out over the upper part of the roof of the Keep. 
> DM rolls secretly for Pengo
*** Private roll: 1d100 -> 38
<DM> Pengo checks out the locker, then opens it, to find 220 arrows 
<Flint> Right, let's check the turret at the top of the spiral stairs. 
<DM> You make your way back down the stairs, across the great hall and kitchen,
    (all of which are beginning to stink pretty bad) and into the circular
    stairway. 
> Flint heads up the stairs and throught the trapdoor.
<DM>      This octagonal room is empty except for a wooden locker in the 
<DM> centre of the floor. Six of its walls are pierced by arrow slits 
<DM> with metal shutters which are hanging open. 
<DM>      The arrow slits of this room overlook the lower, eastern part 
<DM> of the tower roof. 
<Icarius> hmm 
<Flint> We have two options, either start sweeping back through every room, or
    head straight for the undercroft. 
<Icarius> ew could poke our head in every room 
<DM> Pengo suggests that a search of the room from which the creature
    disappeared may turn up some clues. 
<Icarius> good thought 
<Flint> Okay, lets go back up and search the room. 
<DM> you make it all the way back to the Castellan's quarters... 
<DM> The room is well-furnished. There is a polished desk in the 
      center of the room with an open book on it, a four-poster bed 
      against the northern wall, and three comfortable-looking chairs 
      arranged around the fireplace in the eastern wall. Next to the 
      southern wall are a weapon rack, a chest and a bare manikin. The 
      floor is carpeted and there is a tapestry on the wall next to the 
      bed. 
<Flint> Search the room. 
<DM> There are some glittering shards of something on the carpet in the spot
    where the creature disappeared 
<DM>      Closely examining the fallen shards, you conclude that they 
      are the fragments of a shattered black gem. 
>DM rolls secretly 
> Vlix goes over and inspects the manikin 
>DM  rolls secretly 
> Vlix tips over the manikin, and says: "Aha!" 
<DM> He holds up a bag, and shakes it a little...   ka-ching! 
<DM> He says:  "I found 350 gp and a key" 
> Flint Examines the desk and book.
<DM>      The drawers of the desk are not locked. 
    

<DM>  This book is huge by anyone's standards.  It has a rich, 
       tooled leather binding with the words of "The Prison" in gold leaf 
       on the spine.  The front cover is nearly an inch thick and has 36 
       padded compartments (each about half an inch wide and deep) 
       hollowed out on the inside. All are now empty. 

<DM> |   ___                                             | 
<DM> |  -   -_,  |\   ,,                                 | 
<DM> | (  ~/||    \\  ||             ;              _    | 
<DM> | (  / ||   / \\ ||  _-_  ,._-_ \\/\/\  _-_   / \\  | 
<DM> |  \/==||  || || || || \\  ||   || | | || \\ || ||  | 
<DM> |  /_ _||  || || || ||/    ||   || | | ||/   || ||  | 
<DM> | (  - \\,  \\/  \\ \\,/   \\,  \\/\\/ \\,/  \\_-|  | 
<DM> |                                             /  \  | 
<DM> |     /\\,/\\,                            ,, '----` | 
<DM> |    /| || ||    _     _    '        _   ||         | 
<DM> |    || || ||   < \,  / \\ \\  _-_  < \, ||         | 
<DM> |    ||=|= ||   /-|| || || || ||    /-|| ||         | 
<DM> |   ~|| || ||  (( || || || || ||   (( || ||         | 
<DM> |    |, \\,\\,  \/\\ \\_-| \\ \\,/  \/\\ \\         | 
<DM> |   _-                /  \                          | 
<DM> |       -__ /\\      '----`                         | 
<DM> |         ||  \\        '                           | 
<DM> |        /||__|| ,._-_ \\  _-_,  /'\\ \\/\\         | 
<DM> |        \||__||  ||   || ||_.  || || || ||         | 
<DM> |         ||  |,  ||   ||  ~ || || || || ||         | 
<DM> |       _-||-_/   \\,  \\ ,-_-  \\,/  \\ \\         | 
<DM> |         ||                                        | 
<DM> |                                                   | 
<DM>  
<DM> Pengo comes to help search the desk.  He looks in the drawers: 
      They contain quills, ink, penknives, pieces of parchment, the 
      former Castellan's letter of authority, personal letters written to 
      him by his wife and miscellaneous papers relating to the day-to-day 
      running of the Keep. 
<Icarius> are those holes in the book, or a drawing of some sort? 
<DM> They are padded compartments, as if they were meant to hold something. 
<Icarius> oops, already explained :) 
<Icarius> any transportation spells? 
<DM> The book is written in the common tongue, so no.  No magical spells written
    in the book. 
<Icarius> hmmm 
> Flint reads the book.
<Flint> See if I can get some Idea what this was used for. 
<DM> settling in for the night, Flint?  :) 
<DM> ok, take a few minutes to read... :) 
<DM> You're still reading. :) 
<Flint> The question is "What am I reading?". 

<DM> The first five pages of the book explain how the imprisonment 
<DM> system is operated: 
<DM>  
<DM> This is a short synopsis of those 5 pages: 
      The prison of the Keep does not consist of a physical place but 
       employs a variant of the lmprisonment spell. When the Keep was 
       first built, four magical cells were established and the 
       Castellans, as jailors, were provided with a number of magical gems 
       with which to operate the system. Black gems allowed the user to 
       imprison creatures in a specified cell, while white gems were used 
       to release them. 
<DM>  The sixth page contains a reference to a cache of white gems 
       for use in an emergency. Their location is given as the secret 
       compartment at the top of one of the columns in "the painted room 
       with pillars beneath the Keep." 
<DM> The next three pages contain records of prisoners kept in the 
       cells. For each prisoner, there is recorded the date of their
       imprisonment, and the date of their release. 
       All but the last two entries (shown below) have been carefully crossed out: 

<DM> - (Neatly written) 'Cell 4; Lorganarch'. The date given for its 
       imprisonment Is about 60 years ago. There is no release date given. 
  
       - (Scrawled) 'Bloodfire's daughter - number 3'. 
       There follow seven blank pages. 
<DM>  
<DM> Written on the inside of the back cover are the words 
<DM> 'Fram cweartern thoostre, cume'. 
<DM> That's it, for the book. 
<Flint> Does the book say how the black gems are used to imprison someone? 

<DM> Reading more in depth, you discover: 
      This process can take place anywhere in the Keep. All that is 
       necessary is that the victim is touched with a black gem and the 
       Words 'Go hence unto...'  are uttered, followed by the number of 
       the cell to which the captive should go. The creature will fade and 
       vanish as it is sent to the cell and the black gem will break into 
       fragments. The creature will not be imprisoned (and the gem will 
       remain whole) if an occupied cell is specified. 
       
<Flint> The creature imprisoned itself?  How are the white gems used to
    release a prisioner? 
<DM> reading on, you find a detailed description of how to release prisoners. 
       For security's sake, 
       This can only take place in the release chamber (room 9). To 
       release a prisoner, a white gem is placed on the spiral pattern in 
       the centre of the floor and the command 'Come forth from... ' 
       followed by the cell number, is spoken. A few moments later the gem 
       will shatter and the prisoner will appear in the centre of the 
       room. If an empty cell is specified or if the procedure is carried 
       out other than in the release chamber, nothing will happen and the 
       gem will remain whole. 
  
<Jozlan> maybe he's in room 9? 
<Flint> Have we found any white gems? 
<DM> not that I recall.  :) 
<Flint> Didn't we find two white eggs in that compartment in the pillar room of
    the undercroft? 
<DM> no 
<DM> you found a tiny replica of a chest 
<Flint> right, which we haven't opened. 
<Flint> Who has the chest, Pengo? 
<DM> I think so. 

<DM> Current Hit Points at the end of the night: 
<DM> Flint:   25 (29) 
<DM> Mordin:  18 (20) 
<DM> Mialee:  19 (19) 
<DM> Pengo:   20 (20) 
<DM> Icarius: 15 (16) 
<DM> Jozlan:  18 (18) 
<DM> Vlix:    14 (14) 

=============================================================================
July 5 2004
=============================================================================

<Mialee> Can we see the description of the chamber posted in here? 
<DM> uhhh, sure. 
<DM>      The room is well-furnished. There is a polished desk in the 
       center of the room with an open book on it, a four-poster bed against 
       the northern wall, and three comfortable-looking chairs arranged 
       around the fireplace in the eastern wall. Next to the southern wall 
       are a weapon rack, a chest and a bare manikin. The floor is carpeted 
       and there is a tapestry on the wall next to the bed. 
       Closely examining the fallen shards, you conclude that they are 
       the fragments of a shattered black gem. 
<Mialee> Are the shards of the gem large enough that we could gather them up,
    or are they little tiny fragments? 
<DM> you could possibly gather up a few of the larger shards, but 80% of it is
    almost dust 
> Mialee picks up the larger pieces.
<DM> so far, (in the BB) you've searched the desk and found 2 books, 
<Jozlan> I'd like to thoroughly examine the mini coffin thing again 
<DM> quills, ink, penknives, pieces of parchment, the 
<DM> former Castellan's letter of authority, personal letters written to 
<DM> him by his wife and miscellaneous papers relating to the day-to-day 
<DM> running of the Keep. 
> Pengo pulls it out and gives it a careful look over.
> Mordin examines the weapon rack.
<Mialee> How many papers and stuff are there?  Is it a small enough pile that
    we could take them with us without any trouble?  Assuming the man is dead,
    it might be good to take the stuff with us. 
<DM> It looks like an exquisitely crafted tiny replica of a chest or trunk... 
<Pengo> Joz, there are things we need Detect Magic on.  You have a wand of
    Detect Magic, use it. :) 
<Pengo> (I can't remember what they are -- I posted in the board about it a
    while back :) 
<DM> the latch doesn't operate. 
<DM> Mordin, please see the BB entries for a description of the weapon rack. 
<DM> Mialee, yes, you could take the papers, etc, especially in Pengo's bag. 
<Pengo> The little box needs to be detect magicked, and perhaps the weapons we
    found should be as well. 
> Mialee collects his papers and hands them to Pengo.
<DM> I would suggest if possible, everyone open a browser to the BB, to
    reference the last several entries in topic 3, Cat 61 
> Jozlan uses the wand of detect magic on the mini chest
<DM> it definitely registers as magic. 
<Mialee> Hm. 
<Mialee> How can we open it though? 
<DM> BTW, I couldn't get to the test page... 
<Flint> Knock? 
<Mialee> That's strange. 
<Mialee> Let me check something then. 
<Flint> Actually a dispell magic first, then a knock it needed. 
<Mialee> Give it another try... it should work. 
<DM> oops, I tried again, and now it's coming up. 
<Flint> it > if 
<Mialee> I just restarted it. 
<Mialee> OK, does anyone have Knock memorized?  I don't. 
<Mialee> Joz, could you detect magic on the weapons from the weapon rack? 
<Jozlan> sure thing 
> Jozlan detects magic on the weapons
<DM> The longsword, shortsword, composite longbow and arrows all come up as
    magical. 
<Mialee> Nice. :) 
<Mialee> Anyone need to trade up? :) 
<Mordin> Take them anyway, they could come in handy. 
<Pengo> Certainly. 
<Jozlan> definitely 
<Mialee> I'll take that long bow. 
<Mialee> Looks a lot nicer than the one I'm carrying now. :) 
<DM> leaving your other one here? 
<Mialee> Yeah, I think so. 
<DM> Current Hit Points: 
<DM> Flint:   25 (29) 
<DM> Mordin:  18 (20) 
<DM> Mialee:  19 (19) 
<DM> Pengo:   20 (20) 
<DM> Icarius: 15 (16) 
<DM> Jozlan:  18 (18) 
<DM> Vlix:    14 (14) 
<DM>  
<Mialee> There are long bows all over the place in the keep here, so I can
    replace it if this one turns out to be a dud. :) 
<Mialee> How are the soldiers doing? 
<DM> They're fine. 
<Mialee> I'll take that quiver of arrows, too. 
<Mialee> Hmmm.  I'll get rid of the quiver I'm carrying now, and keep as many
    of my existing arrows as I can. 
<DM> that is, I would if I could copy from IE, which I guess I can't. 
<Mialee> OK, we're pretty sure that the white gems are in the box Pengo's
    carrying.  We need a Knock spell. 
<Mialee> So... do we rest for a while so I can memorize one? 
<DM> The first five pages of the book explain how the imprisonment 
     system is operated: 
     
     This is a short synopsis of those 5 pages: 
     The prison of the Keep does not consist of a physical place but 
     employs a variant of the Imprisonment spell. When the Keep was 
     first built, four magical cells were established and the 
     Castellans, as jailors, were provided with a number of magical gems 
     with which to operate the system. Black gems allowed the user to 
     imprison creatures in a specified cell, while white gems were used 
     to release them. 
     
          The sixth page contains a reference to a cache of white gems 
     for use in an emergency. Their location is given as the secret 
     compartment at the top of one of the columns in "the painted room 
     with pillars beneath the Keep." 
     
     The next three pages contain records of prisoners kept in the 
     cells. For each prisoner, there is recorded the date of their 
     imprisonment, and the date of their release. 
     All but the last two entries (shown below) have been 
     carefully crossed out: 
     
     - (Neatly written) 'Cell 4; Lorganarch'. The date given for its 
     imprisonment Is about 60 years ago. There is no release date given. 
     
     - (Scrawled) 'Bloodfire's daughter - number 3'. 
     There follow seven blank pages. 
     
     Written on the inside of the back cover are the words 
     'Fram cweartern thoostre, cume'. 
     That's it, for the book 

> Mialee wonders what's up with the words on the back.
<Mialee> I never noticed that part before, somehow. 
<DM> As you are inspecting your new-found treasure, you hear a huge !!Boom!!,
     
<DM> and the walls of the keep shudder. 

<DM> You then hear a blazon of trumpets. 
<Mialee> Uh-oh. 
<DM> You rush to the windows, and are a bit surprised to see this on the
    hilltop across the valley. 

   

> Mialee looks out the window.
<DM> In case the picture is not too clear, what you see across the valley is a
    fire giant hurling large rocks, several canine creatures of immense size and 12 
<DM> hobgoblins.  In addition, there are some sort of creatures flying about,
    but you can't really tell exactly what they are. 

<Mialee> Oh, that's not good.  Not good at all. 
<DM> Several of the soldiers rush back into the armory.  A few seconds later,
    Daniel 
<DM> comes back into the room shouting: "The castle is under attack!" 
<Mialee> You think? 
> Pengo looks nervous.
<Pengo> What do we do? 
<Mialee> I guess now isn't the time to rest so I can memorize Knock. :) 
<DM> hehe, probably not. 
<Mialee> How far away are the attackers? 
<Flint> Does anyone have dispel magic? 
<DM> The ones you see to the west are across the valley, well out of bowshot range. 
<Mialee> I don't have it memorized. 
<DM> you haven't looked through the windows to the north yet. 
> Mialee looks out to the north.
<DM> Looking out the window to the north, you are horrified to see five full 
<DM> platoons of hobgoblins approaching the castle! 
<DM>  
<DM> You estimate that each platoon has about 30 hobgoblins in it. 
<DM>  
  
<Mialee> Oy. 
<DM> couple more pictures: 
    
> Pengo grabs the prison book.
<Pengo> The handwriting for the Bloodfire's daughter entry... is it of a
    different hand than the previous entry? 
<DM> Yes !
<Icarius> I'd like to disbelieve :) 
<DM> dm rolls for Icarius 
*** Private roll: 1d100 -> 37
<Mialee> Good idea. :) 
<DM> You do believe that there are about 150 hobgoblins marching up the hill 
    :) 
<Icarius> (not because I don't believe it, i'm in denial ) 
<Icarius> hehe 
<Mialee> Heh 
<Mialee> Are any within bowshot yet? 
> Pengo wonders who Bloodfire is.
<DM> As you watch out of one of the north-facing arrow slits, you see the first 
<DM> platoon continue along the lower road, while the second platoon starts up the 
<DM> path towards the upper gate.  The second platoon is carrying a battering ram. 
<Pengo> Any sign of how recently the entries were written in the book? 
<DM> the other three platoons stay in place down the path near the bend in the
    road. Sergeant Jones begins barking orders at his men: "Bob, Charlie, you go man the 
<DM> lower gatehouse.  Daniel and Edward, take the upper gatehouse.  Fred lad, man 
<DM> the main defense room.  Keep a sharp look out the windows, and let me know if 
<DM> anything is coming from the south or southwest." 
<Mialee> Are any within bowshot yet? 
> Mialee readies her new bow.
<Mialee> With one of the new arrows. 
<DM> Pengo, the last entry looks relatively new 
<DM> IOW, the ink is much fresher than the last. 
<Pengo> This last person... I think she was imprisoned by the bad guys. 
<Pengo> I wonder if she would help us if we let her out. 
<Flint> Probably. 
> Pengo frustratedly turns the little box in his hands, wishing he could get
    into it.
<DM>  
<SGT Jones>  This room is really not a good place from which to defend the castle.  
       The main defense room on the second-floor offers views to all sides of the castle. 
       Plus, the burning oil machinery is in there, and it will be a big help if they 
       breach the upper gate. It also overlooks the main outside platform. 
<Mialee> OK, let's go. 
<DM> BOOM!!! 
<Pengo> Dammit, nobody has a way to open this box?? 
> Mialee hustles for the second floor defense room.
> Pengo follows, still turning the box in his hands.
<DM> What did he do with the Book? 
<Pengo> I still have it. 
<DM> in the bag? 
<Pengo> OK. :) 
<DM> !!BOOM!! 
<Mordin> I know one way to open it. 
<Pengo> How? 
<Pengo> Wait... could the Sentinel open it? 
> Mordin hefts his axe.
<Flint> Let me try. 
> Pengo holds the box out to Flint.
> Mialee keeps running for the defense room.
> Flint trys to open the box.
> Mialee urges the soldiers to go with her.
<DM> The box doesn't open, even for the Sentinel 
<Pengo> Worth a shot. 
<Pengo> Wait. 
<DM> SGT Jones goes with her, the rest are already gone 
<Pengo> Bloodfire... 
<Flint> Let's head for the defense room. 
<Pengo> Could that be the name of a fire giant's daughter? 
<Flint> Yes. 
<Pengo> That would explain why that guy is so pissed off. 
<Pengo> Dammit, we have to get her out of this thing. 
<DM> !!Boom!! 
<Pengo> Damn, damn, damn. 
<Jozlan> hmmm 
<DM> you're in the defense room. 
<DM> Who's going where, looking where? doing what? 
> Mialee looks down below to see the guys with the battering ram.
<Flint> Well, we could ask them what they want. :) 
<Pengo> Go for it, holy guy. 
<DM> SGT Jones and Freddy are busy lighting a fire in the fireplace. 
> Pengo pulls all the Molotov cocktails out of his bag and puts them on the
    floor.
> Flint steps out on to the platform.
<DM> what platform? 
> Pengo keeps trying to think of ways to open the jail.
<DM> You're on the second floor, the platform comes off the first 
<Jozlan> which room #? 
<DM> you're in room 14.  2 of the soldiers are in room 14a 
<DM> Pengo, where on the map did you put those cocktails? 
<Mialee> Where are the guys with the battering ram? 
<DM> recall that there are holes in the floor in 14 and in 14a 
> Mialee puts half in each place.
> Jozlan heats up some oil
<Mialee> er, Pengo does that. 
> Mordin goes down to the first floor, and out on the platform.
> Pengo keeps trying to figure out a way to open the damn box.
<Flint> That is Flint who does that. 
<DM> MOrdin goes to the first floor, via the stairway, and finds the iron
    gates. 
<DM> or FLint 
> Flint returns
<Flint> SGT Jones, can I get out on the platform to talk to the attackers? 
<DM> SGT Jones replies that the winch mechanisms in this room operate the gates
    on the first floor. 
<DM> Jozlin, how are you heating the oil? 
<DM> Freddy is filling the cauldron with oil from one of the jugs nearby 
<Flint> Is the platform secured at the other end?  In other words, will raising
    the gate allow the enemy to enter? 
<DM> the platform is a level above the path. 
   
<Flint> Please open it then. 
<Jozlan> is the fireplace still going or did we extinguish it earlier? 
<Mialee> We extinguished the cauldron, not the fireplace. 
<DM> It was extinguished earlier, all the fuel then in the cauldron was used
    up. 
<Mialee> We slapped the lid on the cauldron; the fireplace should still be
    burning, unless it burned itself out since then. 
<DM> yah, but with no one tending the fire, it went out for lack of fuel too. 
<Jozlan> guess i'm not then 
<DM> I think you've rested since then, no? 
<Mialee> Yeah. 
<DM> SGT Jones and Freddy  operate the winch on the north side of the room,
    showing anyone how to do it that is paying attention. 
> Mialee watches.
<DM> "When you are through the first gate, we'll open the second. " 
> Pengo keeps thinking, trying to piece together a way to open the box.
> Flint goes down and through the first gate.
<DM> They open the second gate.   (Is anyone watching out to the south? 
<DM> ) 
<DM> !!Boom!! 
> Mialee goes to watch off to the south.
<Pengo> The little box... does it have any kind of decoration on it? 
> Mordin goes out onto the platform.
<Flint> Flint does... 
<DM> You mean Mordin is watching FLint go out onto the platform? 
<Pengo> :) 
<Mordin> For the record, I am still up in the defense room. 
  

<Pengo> Hm, we never finished exploring the first floor. 
> Pengo regrets that.
<DM> Anyway, Flint steps out onto the platform in time to see 2 flying
    creatures carrying two bugbears each fly over the platform, dropping the
    bugbears off. 
<Pengo> Oops. 
<DM> (Air Assault!!!  Hoowah!) 
<Icarius> intelligent creatures 
<DM> the flying creatures look similar to lions with wings, only they have
    grotesque human-like heads 
<Mialee> Lovely. 
<Flint> I could use some help here!!! 
<Mialee> Flint, say what you need to say and get back in here, man. :) 
<DM> after they drop the bugbears, they circle around and head for Flint. 
> Mialee fires an arrow at one of the flying creatures.
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 19
<DM> the bugbears, meanwhile, are pulling long coils of rope off their
    shoulders, and heading for the edge of the parapet 
<Mialee> Is this new longbow still 1d6? 
<Mialee> Oof, these guys are good. 
<DM> yes, that's the base, anyway 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 5
<Mialee> Flint, get your ass back in here! 
<DM> the creature screams in rage, banks up and away from Flint, and whips his
    tail over his head. 
<DM> six somethings come hurtling toward the window Mialee is at 
> Mialee tries to duck.
> Flint heads back into the castle.
*** Roll by DM: 6d20 -> 6 + 13 + 3 + 6 + 3 + 4 = 35
<DM> chink-achinck-chink..... They all hit the wall of the castle. 
<Flint> Lowwer the second gate! 
<Mialee> Whew. 
> Mialee stands back up and fires again.
<Mialee> (can I?) 
<DM> the gates are lowered. 
<DM> yes. 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 10
<Flint> Open the 1st gate. 
<DM> The first gate is up. 
<DM> Mialee hits 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 2
<DM> the creature banks away and is soom out of range. 
> Flint enters and climbs the stairs.
<Flint> Close the first gate! 
<Flint> Which parapet were the bugbears on? 
<DM> closed! 
<DM> the lower one, off the first level 
*** << <Mialee> << Do we have anyone that can cast Magic Mouth, and if so, can
    it be cast over a distance or do we have to be at the location where the
    Mouth is to be created? 
<DM> as you catch your breath, you hear a strange keening sound, 
<Pengo> I never saw an answer: Are there any decorations on the little chest? 
*** >> <Mialee> >> to Mialee:  yes to the last question, and it would have to
    be memorized 
<DM> sorry, Pengo, not particularly. 
*** << <Mialee> << OK. 
<Flint> The parapet around the platform? 
<DM> it gets louder and louder, and seems to be coming from multiple sources. 
<DM> yes, the parapet (?) around the platform. . 
> Mialee looks around outside, trying to see where it comes from.
> DM is suddenly not sure of his medieval architectural jargon.
<DM> Mialee sees some small flying creatures flying about the castle, making a
    horrible screeching sound, and then they disappear out of view, but you can
    still hear the screaming. 
<Flint> Icarius, locate the bugbears and drop a missle from your necklace on
    them. 
<Mialee> Don't forget the molotov cocktails. 
<DM> looking to the south, you now see dozens of bugbears swarming over the
    wall and onto the platform. 
<Flint> Drop a BIG missle. 
<Icarius> do I have a clear shot for a missile ball? 
<DM> anyone in room 14a or looking to the north, will see the second platoon
    manning the battering ram. 
<DM> !!Boom!! 
<DM> Icarius, if you are in 14a, yes. 
> Pengo is about ready to cry.
<Pengo> All we need to do is get into this box. 
> Pengo tries to pry it open with his dagger.
> Icarius throws a large missile ball at the dozens of bugbears
<DM> suddenly, the screaming sound becomes UNBEARABLY loud, as one of the small
    flying creatures wings into the room from the stairway leading upstairs. 
<Mialee> Damn. 
<Pengo> Any luck trying to pry the box open? :) 
<DM> Icarius watches as his large fireball blossoms into a raging inferno,
    scorching the platoon. 
<Pengo> This thing can't be that hard to get into... 
<DM> Taht was your last large one. 
> Mialee turns around and swings at the flying creature.
<Mialee> Er, shoots at. 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 14
<Icarius> don't underestimate the power of the magic side, hobbit 
<DM> Pengo. No luck 
> Mordin attacks the creature.
<DM> Icarius sees that the platton is decimated. 
<DM> hang on with the fight a sec. 
<Mialee> OK 
<DM> platoon, rather. 
> Pengo is half-panicked.
<DM> at least 20 of the creatures are dead, and the rest are fleeing down the
    trail. 
> Pengo starts beating the box on the wall, trying to break it open.
<DM> but from below, you hear the sounds of bugbears shouting in the hallway
    next to the kill room. 
<Mialee> Get ready with the oil. 
<Icarius> do we have heated oil? 
<DM> SGT Jones Says: 
<DM> The problem is, it takes at least two hours to get the oil hot enough to
    burn, 
<DM> and it doesn't look like they're going to give us that much time. " 
<DM>  
<DM> ok, now the combat. 
<Mialee> We may have no choice but to flee the keep. 
<DM> The thing is, the deafening sound the creature is making is so severe, so
    loud, that it is actually causing pain and disorientation. 
<Flint> Will the molotov cocktails fit through the murder holes? 
<Mialee> Can anyone cast silence? :) 
<DM> Flint Yes.  please hang on 
*** << <Mialee> << Running a massive battle like this must be complicated. ;) 
<DM> the creature is 3 feet tall, with batlike wings and a barbed tail. 
<DM> the upshot is, in order to try to do anything in the presences of this
    screaming requires a saving throw vs. Magic 
> Pengo wonders if the white gems have to be removed from the box for the
    release to work.
<Pengo> If we just put the box on the spiral pattern and ordered the release... 
<DM> Ok, so mordin and Mialee wanted to attack the creature.  Roll a saving
    throw to see if you can 
> Pengo attempts to hide in shadows.
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 10
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 18
*** << <Pengo> << Pengo wants to try to slip down to the release chamber. 
<DM> MOrdin can attack 
*** >> <Pengo> >> to Pengo:  ok. 
*** << <Pengo> << Let me know if/when I make it, etc. :) 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 2
<DM> miss 
<Icarius> maybe you should run up and try it pengo 
<DM> Icarius, you don't see Pengo. 
<DM> the thing attacks Mordin 
<DM> with its tail 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 3
<DM> but misses 
<Mialee> Can I use this time to switch to my sword? 
<Mialee> Or does that take a saving throw as well? 
<DM> yes, you can switch 
> Mialee does so.
<Flint> Mordin, I'm going to cast a spell on you. 
<DM> go ahead, FLint 
<DM> Jozlan, what are you doing? 
> Flint casts Silence 15' radius on Mordin.
<DM> good job, Flint  :) 
<Mialee> Heh. :) 
<DM> suddenly the screaming in the room ceases, although you can still hear
    other screaming elsewhere in the keep 
<Mialee> Hope you guys have hand gestures worked out. :) 
<Flint> It's good to have a 15 Wisdom. :) 
<Mialee> Let me know when I can attack. :) 
> Mialee grips her sword and grins evilly.
*** << <Pengo> << How'm I doing? :) 
<DM> ROUND 2   Spell casters, what will you cast? 
<DM> --------------------------------------------- 
<Mialee> Melee. 
*** >> <Pengo> >> to Pengo:  I'll get back to you.  I assume you're using the
    spiral stairs. 
*** << <Pengo> << Yeah. 
<DM> Initiative 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 4
*** << <Pengo> << This box thing is driving me nuts. :) 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 5
<DM> go for it 
> Mialee swings.
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 18
<DM> big hit 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d8 -> 5
<DM> Mordin? 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 15
<DM> hit 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D8+6 -> 2 + 6 = 8
<DM> the thing attacks Mordin 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 6
<DM> misses 
<Mialee> Nobody else is fighting? 
<Mialee> Just Mordin and Mialee? 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 12
<DM> Vlix will jump in 
<Mialee> OK. 
<Jozlan> I will 
> Jozlan attacks
<Mordin> Second attack. 
<Jozlan> ok, next round 
<DM> hit, Mordin -- with the battle axe, right? 
> Flint attacks.
<Mordin> Yes. 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D8+6 -> 4 + 6 = 10
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d20 -> 15
*** Roll by Flint: 1D20 -> 16
<DM> Mordin cleave the thing in two! 
<Jozlan> nice 
<DM> It is very quiet. 
> Flint Mooves out of the silence area.
<DM> Although Icarius can hear the shouting downstairs, and sees the southern
    winch mechanism start to roll up. 
*** >> <Pengo> >> to Pengo:  you make it into the round room down in the
    undercroft where the funny spiral pattern is on the floor. 
<Mialee> Get ready to deal with them... 
> Icarius gets a bad feeling
<Flint> Pour oil down the holes and drop a cocktail behind it. 
*** << <Pengo> << I put the little chest on the pattern, step back, and say
    "Come forth from 3". 
<Mialee> Good idea. 
<DM> SGT Jones runs to the NORTHERN winch mechanism and flips a lever. 
*** >> <Pengo> >> to Pengo:   nothing happens. 
<Mialee> What's up, Jones? 
*** << <Pengo> << Shoot. 
<Flint> SGT Jones, what are you doing? 
<DM> "I'm locking the far gate, so they can't raise it by force of strength." 
> Mialee nods.
<DM> you can plainly hear (Except Mordin) the shouting an clamoring going on
    directly below you. 
*** << <Pengo> << The words written on the inside cover, are they in the same
    hand that wrote the first prisoner's name, or the second? 
> Icarius dumps oil down thw oil chute
<Flint> Let go the oil. 
<Flint> :) 
*** >> <Pengo> >> to Pengo:  it is written in the neat hand -- NOT the hand
    that scrawled "Bloodfire's Daughter" 
> Mialee grabs a cocktail, lights it, and drops it down below.
<DM> SGT Jones reminds you that the oil in the cauldron is a low grade that
    will not burn unless preheated for 2 hours 
<Mialee> Is it slippery? :) 
<DM> however, the cocktails use a higher grade, and they will work. 
<Icarius> I could drop a small blball down.  that might ignite them 
<DM> is what slippery? 
<DM> oh, yes, the oil is slippery. 
<Mialee> Well, that could help at least. :) 
*** >> <Icarius> >> to Icarius:  good idea! 
<DM> You hear some howling in pain as your cacktails hit the floor and
    creatures below 
> Icarius drops a small bomblet down
*** << <Pengo> << I'm trying to figure out what "Fram cweartern thoostre, cume"
    means.  Looks like the thing to say to release someone in another language,
    but I don't know whether it includes a cell number or not. :) 
<DM> Whooooosh! 
<DM> the light from the fireball below glows through the multiple holes in the
    floor 
<DM> and the screaming gets louder and then fades away. 
<DM>  
<Flint> IC Drop them down the farthest south of the murder holes. 
<DM> Looking out to the south, you see dozens of bugbears run screaming out
    onto the platform 
<Flint> But wait until more come back. 
<Icarius> ok 
*** >> <Pengo> >> to Pengo:  good you're on the right track 
> Flint goes down the stairs to inspect the damage.
*** << <Pengo> << OK, I say "Fram cweartern thoostre, cume.".  Let's see if
    anything happens. :) 
*** >> <Pengo> >> to Pengo:  have you actually SAID that? 
<DM> pause for the cause, here... 
*** <DM> is now known as <AFK-DM>
> Mordin follows Flint.
> Mialee wonders where Pengo is.
<Flint> Hopefully he wasn't foolish enough to try using the chest in the
    release room. 
*** <AFK-DM> is now known as <DM>
<DM> You don't hear any bugbears downstairs or out front anymore 
*** << <Pengo> << Anything happen when I say that? 
*** >> <Pengo> >> to Pengo:  yes, I'll get back to you. 
*** << <Pengo> << OK :) 
> Mialee exhales, and looks out the windows again.
<Mialee> Do we still hear the battering ram in action? 
> Mialee grabs a couple of cocktails and heads for the windows above there.
<DM> looking out to the south, you see several bugbears collapsed on the
    platform, several scrambling over the wall 
<DM> no battering ram. 
<Mialee> Hm.  So far, so good. 
> Mialee waits for the other shoe to drop.
<DM> you see the big flying creatures (4 of them) circling in the sky 
<DM> and finally, you hear a loud voice shouting from across the valley: 
<Fire Giant>   Worthless ogrillon! Your flea-bitten gang may have set back the first 
        and least of my attacks, but do not deceive yourself that you have won. 

        Never will I leave so long as you hold my daughter prisoner. Set her 
        free from your sorcerous  prison and I will spare your worthless 
        lives. Refuse and I will grind your miserable bones Into the dust, and 
        cast down your petty tower 'til no stone remains standing. 
 
<Fire Giant> "You have two hours. Think not of escape for I have many eyes and I 
        would take pleasure in hunting you down like the dog that you are." 
<Mialee> Two hours.  OK> 
<Mialee> Smoke 'em if you got 'em. 
<DM> LOL! 
<Mialee> So, do we keep watch here, or look into our ogrillion friend? 
*** << <Pengo> << Anything? :) :) 
*** >> <Pengo> >> to Pengo:  As you utter the words from the cover of the book,
    a swirling mist appears 
<DM> in front of you, and materializes into a large chest. 
<DM> oops 
<Pengo> :) 
*** << <Pengo> << I open the chest. 
> Mialee takes a moment to snack and have a little water.
<Flint> Let's go find Pengo and the chest, that's the only way we are going to
    release the girl and the Ogrillion. 
*** << <Pengo> << And...? :) 
*** << <Pengo> << (sorry, this is exciting, and I want Pengo to be the hero
    that figured this out while the others were otherwise occupied ;) 
*** >> <Pengo> >> to Pengo:  when you open the chest,  a spectrous visage rises
    slowly out 
*** >> <Pengo> >> to Pengo:  of the chest.  It is humanoid in form, and very
    wraithlike. 
*** >> <Pengo> >> to Pengo:  It raises up, and mutters: "At last!"  and begins
    to move 
*** >> <Pengo> >> to Pengo:  toward the door. 
*** << <Pengo> << I don't think that's who I was trying to let out. :) 
*** << <Pengo> << I ask it, "Who are you?" 
*** >> <Pengo> >> to Pengo:  it soon passes into the hallway to the north,
    ignoring your question 
<Icarius> yeah, that's better than trying to defeat the next wave 
*** << <Pengo> << OK, I'm supposed to say this in whatever language "Fram
    cweartern thoostre, cume" is, but I don't know how to change it for cell
    4... 
<DM> So you make no response to the Giant's demands? 
<Mialee> Yell out to him that we'd be happy to let her go. 
<Mialee> Tell him we're fighting the ogrillion, trying to release his daughter. 
<DM> Who's the messenger? 
*** << <Pengo> << I presume "thoostre" is "third" or "three", but I don't know
    how to say "four" :) 
<Mialee> Who's the most charismatic person we have? :) 
*** << <Pengo> << Wait, three is the one I wanted.  I don't know what's going
    on. 
<DM> Flint, believe it or not. 
<Mialee> Go Flint. :) 
<Flint> Dwarves and Giants do NOT get along. 
*** << <Pengo> << What does the wraith look like?  Does it have any
    characteristics in particular?  Any chance it's the daughter in some kind
    of strange form? 
<Mialee> Oh. 
<DM> Good Point. 
> Mialee stands up at the window and calls out to the giant, "We too hunt the
    ogrillion!"
*** >> <Pengo> >> to Pengo:   the wraith has passed out of the room. 
*** <DM> is now known as <Giant>
<Giant> What?  Who are you?!?!? 
*** << <Pengo> << I'll follow it for a minute. 
*** >> <Pengo> >> to Pengo:  funny, it's gone. 
<Mialee> We are adventurers, seeking to return this captured Keep to its
    rightful master.  It was captured by the ogrillion and his foul beasts. 
<Giant> Are elves now under the sway of Ogrillons? 
<Mialee> Never! 
<Mialee> Your daughter has been wrongly imprisoned by the foul ogrillion, and
    we would gladly free her! 
*** << <Pengo> << I return to the release chamber and say again, "Fram
    cweartern thoostre, cume", to see what happens. 
<Giant> If that is true -- then you have 2 hours to release her, or I will tear
    that keep down to its roots! 
*** >> <Pengo> >> to Pengo:  nothing happens. 
<Mialee> We seek the key by which we can do so, as we speak. 
<Giant> If she is released within that time, I and mine will remove ourselves
    from this valley 
<Giant> and do you no harm. 
<Giant> At least not today.... 
<Mialee> Very well.  We shall do our best. 
> Mialee smiles.
<Giant> The Giant disappears below the ridge 
<Flint> Tell him it may take more time since magic is involved and we don't
    want to hurt his daughter. 
<Flint> Too late. :( 
<Giant> Daniel reports that the other three platoons and the remnants of the
    first two are rallying at the curve in the road. 
<Flint> They will definately wait the two hours. 
<Jozlan> have we found pengo yet? 
<Giant> Where have you looked? 
*** << <Pengo> << Do I even know what language that is? 
*** <Giant> is now known as <DM>
*** >> <Pengo> >> to Pengo:  no 
<Flint> SGT Jones, have the men repair/reset the southern gate please. 
*** << <Pengo> << "Fram cweartern third, cume." :) 
<DM> "Yes," he says, "We will do that"   He orders one man to watch to the
    north, and one to the south, and the others and he go downstairs to inspect
    the gate. 
<DM> What is the rest of the group doing? 
<Flint> I can think of 3 possible places for Pengo. 
> Jozlan goes to the release room to look for pengo and/or the chest
<Flint> That's the first. 
> Flint follows.
*** << <Pengo> << Anything happen when I said that, by any chance? :) 
<DM> Jozlan makes it down the spiral stairs and into the painted room. .p no 
*** >> <Pengo> >> to Pengo:  no 
*** << <Pengo> << Didn't figure. :) 
*** << <Pengo> << /act examines the large chest. 
<Jozlan> is the chest or pengo present? 
<DM> proceeding into the release room, you see Pengo sitting in front of a
    LARGE chest. 
<DM> he is muttering some words. 
*** << <Pengo> << And is the little chest still resting on the pattern? 
*** >> <Pengo> >> to Pengo:  yes 
<Jozlan> not what I feared, but interesting 
<DM> the small chest is  sitting in the center of the room. 
> Pengo looks up at Jozlan.
<Pengo> I'm soooo close. :) 
<Pengo> Do you know what language "Fram cweartern thoostre, cume" is? 
<Jozlan> what have you found? 
<Pengo> I said that, and released the prisoner from cell 4.  If we can figure
    out how to change that to refer to cell 3, the giant's daughter will be
    freed. 
<DM> as you look at them, you are amazed at how identical the two chests are,
    aside from the obvious difference in size. 
<Pengo> Interesting. 
<Flint> Where is the prisioner from cell 4? 
<Pengo> He's... gone. 
<Pengo> He was some kind of wraithlike creature, who was quite relieved to be
    free, and vanished shortly after he was let out. 
<Flint> And where did the chest come from? 
*** >> <Pengo> >> to Pengo:  recall that when you said that phrase, the Chest
    appeared.  It is still standing open.  The creature appeared when you
    opened the chest. 
<Pengo> When I uttered the words "Fram cweartern thoostre, cume.", the large
    chest appeared; when I opened it, he came out of it. 
<Flint> You shoud not have released him. 
<Pengo> I'm sorry.  I was trying to save our lives. 
> Pengo closes the large chest.
<DM> without looking inside, even?  :) 
> Pengo looks inside. :)
<Pengo> Sorry. :) 
<DM> Inside the chest, you see 2 bags and a wooden box. 
> Pengo takes them.
> Pengo looks inside the bags.
<DM> The first bag contains 4 milky white gems. 
<DM> The second bag contains 12 violet garnet buttons 
<Pengo> Hm, perhaps that guy wasn't the prisoner.  Perhaps he was just stored
    in the chest with the gems used to release them. 
> Pengo checks the box for traps.
<Flint> May I have one of the white gems please? 
> Pengo gives one to Flint.
> Pengo closes the large chest.
> Flint replaces the small chest with a white gem.
<DM> DM rolls for Pengo 
<DM> Pengo doesn't find any traps 
> Pengo opens the wooden box and looks inside.
<DM> He sees a beautiful Aquamarine necklace, and a ring 
> Pengo closes it again.
<Pengo> Did I close the large chest? 
> Pengo steps back and says "Come forth from three."
<Flint> "Come forth from three." 
> Mialee watches the white gem on the pattern.
> Pengo waits eagerly to see what happens.
<DM> The white gem on the floor begins to spin, and ... 
> Pengo looks pleased with himself.
<Flint> Unfortunately Pengo, I believe you released the very creature that the
    Ogrillion was supposed to release. 
<DM> soon disappears into a swirling miniature white cyclone, which grows  and
    grows  to about 12 ft tall 
<Pengo> I don't think so. 
<Pengo> I think that creature was in cell 4, which I'm pretty sure I didn't
    open.  I think I only opened the little chest, so to speak. 
<DM> the swiling mist fades, and there stands a 9 foot tall female humanoid. 
<Pengo> Whatever I let out, I'm pretty sure it wasn't that prisoner. 
> Mialee bows to the female.  "Are you Bloodfire's daughter?"
<DM> she looks around with an angry look on her face, and drops into a
    defensive posture 
*** << <Mialee> << We're here to free you. 
<Mialee> Er. 
<Mialee> We're here to free you. 
<Mialee> Your father is outside the Keep, awaiting your safe return. 
<DM> "YES" she whispers, WHO IN THE NINE HELLS ARE YOU?!?? 
<Flint> You said you released the prisioner from cell 4. 
<Mialee> We are adventurers, here to hunt the ogrillion who took you prisoner. 
*** <DM> is now known as <GIANTESS>
<Pengo> No, I don't think I did.  I thought so at first. 
<Pengo> But I think I did not. 
<Mialee> Your father is outside.  He's quite angry at the ogrillion; we agreed
    to help secure your release. 
<GIANTESS> WHY WOULD PUNY THINGS LIKE YOU BE RESCUING ME?  MY FATHER WOULDN'T
    SEND PUNY ANIMALS TO RESCUE ME. 
<Mialee> He came to attack the Keep, to secure your freedom. 
<Flint> Did you say "come forth from..."? 
<Mialee> We were here already, hunting the ogrillion, and offered to attempt to
    free you. 
<Mialee> In order to spare the Keep from his rightful wrath. 
<GIANTESS> THEN WHERE IS HE?  LET ME GO TO HIM! 
<GIANTESS> LEAD THE WAY! 
<Mialee> You are free to go.  He is outside. 
> Mialee leads the way.
<DM> Mialee, where are you leading her? 
<Mialee> To the main gate, I think.  That seems to me to make the most sense. 
<DM> up the stairs? 
<Mialee> Oh, maybe not. 
<Mialee> Let's go out the undercroft exit. 
<Mialee> I doubt our giantess friend would fit up the stairs. :) 
<Mialee> We'll lead her to her father. 
<DM> "THEN LET'S GO!" she says. 
> Mialee leads the way.
> Pengo grabs the small chest and follows.
<DM> out to the undercroft? 
<Mialee> Yeah, I think so. 
<DM> ok, you make it to the big main room.  The doors to the outside are shut. 
<Mialee> Flint, could you open them please? 
> Flint opens the doors.
<DM> The giantess steps through into the open air and shouts "DADDY!!!  WHERE
    ARE YOU!?!?!" 
> Mialee leads the way through, and toward the giant.
<DM> The giant across the valley reappears from over the ridgeline, and
    replies: "EMBER! GET OVER HERE RIGHT NOW!" 
<DM> The giantess starts running down the road toward the 3 platoons of
    hobgoblins, and they scatter in her wake. 
<DM> then she jumps off the road, into the valley, and starts climbing the
    other side. 
<DM> She meets the giant and they talk for a minute, and then the giant turns
    to the hobgoblin platoons and shouts something in giantish. 
<DM> He then turns toward the keep, and shouts in common: 
<DM> "You have won your lives back today with the release of my daughter. As I
    promised, I and mine will now leave, for today.  " 
<DM> "Our next meeting may not be so peaceful, so 'ware the wrath of
    Bloodfire!" 
<DM> With that, the giant turns and heads down out of sight over the hill, and
    is soon lost from sight. 
<DM> You hear that bloodcurdling screaming  erupt from the upper windows of the
    keep, as 3 of the bat-winged creatures fly out of an upper window 
<DM> and off into the distance following the giant. 
<DM> The remaining hobgoblins assemble into loose formation, and begin marching
    away down the road. 
<Jozlan> back to the keep? 
<DM> They too, soon disappear from sight. 
<DM> ?? 
<Mialee> Yes, back to the keep. 
<Mialee> We still have an ogrillion to find. 
> Icarius heads back
<Mordin> Well, we either finish exploring the 1st level, or release the
    Ogrillion. 
<Mialee> He's in one of the cells, is he not? 
<Mialee> Either cell 1 or 2. 
> Mialee heads back to the release chamber.
> Pengo goes too.
<DM> You arrive at the release chamber.  The large chest is still sitting
    there. 
<Jozlan> can the guantlet tell us anything? 
> Mialee looks at Flint.
<DM> The GAUNTLET can't tell you anything, but the SENTINEL might  :) 
<Mialee> :) 
<Flint> The Ogrillion has the gauntlet. :) 
<Mialee> Survey says...? :) 
*** >> <Flint> >> to Flint:  "yes, now I can feel we are close" says the
    Sentinel.  "You must only touch the gauntlet, and my destiny will be
    fulfilled!" 
<Jozlan> can the sentinel speak now? 
<Flint> Yes, we are close. I need to touch the gauntlet when we release the
    creature. 
<Mialee> OK. 
> Pengo removes a white gem from the bag and places it on the pattern.
> Pengo steps back a bit.
<Pengo> Flint, you may wish to stand fairly close, so you can try to touch it
    soon after it appears. 
> Pengo says "Come forth from one."
<Flint> I will move as close as I can while the whirlwind forms. 
<DM> The gem begins to spin, as before, and disappears in a swirling mist. 
> Mialee prepares her sword.
> Pengo draws his sword as well.
> Flint approaches the mist.
<DM> the mist reaches to about 7 feet, and the ogrillon materializes. 
<Mialee> Go! 
> Flint grapples with the Ogrillion.
<DM> it screams in rage, and attacks Flint WITH ITS BARE HANDS! 
 

<Mialee> Is it not wearing the Gauntlet? 
<DM> no 
<Mialee> Huh. 
*** Roll by Flint: 1D20 -> 14
> Mialee attacks the ogrillion.
> Jozlan attacks
<Mialee> (Do I roll, or do we need initiative first?) 
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d20 -> 14
<DM> FLint, was that a roll to grapple? 
<Pengo> That's weird... if he was in stasis in the cell, how did the Gauntlet
    get taken off his hand? 
<DM> Let's do initiative 
<Flint> Yes. 
*** Roll by DM: 1d5 -> 4
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 1
<Pengo> The book said the cells put them in a temporal stasis... 
<DM> the ogrillon slashes at Flint 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 14
<DM> and hits, doing 
*** Roll by DM: 1d4 -> 4
<DM> 4 damage to Flint 
<DM> ok, Flint, your grapple succeeded, 
<Mialee> Hm, how do we fight this guy with Flint hanging off him? 
<DM> after the damage to you. 
<Icarius> magic misile? 
<DM> see, that's tough.  :) 
<Mialee> I'm out. 
<Jozlan> we could sit back and cl on him as needed 
> Pengo attempts to sneak behind the ogrillion so he can try to backstab.
<Flint> I attempt to grab his hands. 
*** >> <Icarius> >> to Icarius:  you still have 2 sleep 
<Mialee> That may be what we have to do. 
*** Roll by DM: 1d100 -> 53
<DM> ok, Flint, let's say your grapple role succeeded in grabbing his hands. 
> Mialee is curious what Flint's up to.
<Flint> Sentinel - any luck? 
> DM is curious as to what Icarius is up to.
<Mialee> If the guy isn't wearing the Gauntlet, why is Flint grappling with it?
    :) 
<Mialee> Icarius, can you cast Magic Missile? 
> Icarius is waiting to see what happens with flint
<Flint> Just because you can't see something... 
<Mialee> Ah :) 
*** >> <Flint> >> to Flint:   What trickery is this? The Gauntlet has deceived
               us! Somehow it has abandoned this vile creature and yet I sense that
               it is still within the magical prison. Perhaps it has moved to
               another bearer? If so, it remains a prisoner and within our grasp. 
               We must not allow it to escape!

<DM> ROUND 2:   Spell casters, what will you cast? 
<DM> --------------------------------------------- 
<Icarius> magic missile 
<Mialee> Nothing. 
<Jozlan> can I hold person on the ogrillion? 
<DM> The now-familiar blue bolts arc from Icarius' hands, strike the creature,
    and 
<DM> it crumples to the floor, apparently dead. 
<Mialee> Well. 
> Mialee hacks its head off, to be sure.
<Icarius> hmm 
<DM> Jozlan, you COULD have, had it been necessary 
<Mialee> So, Flint, how are we doing? 
<DM> The ogrillon is still wearing the ill-fitting clothes in which the 
<DM> party first saw him (room 27). 
<Flint> The gauntlet is still in the prision. 
<Mialee> So we need to send someone in to get it. 
<Flint> Strip the corpse 
<Flint> . 
<Mialee> You do it. :) 
<DM>  a very fine tunic and robe (silk with gold brocade and sable trim 
<DM> -the tunic is worth 600gp, and the apparent value of the robe is 
<DM> 600gp.- a black opal on a gold chain around his neck (value - 2000gp) 
<DM> - two black pearls (value - 500gp each) in a small purse hanging from 
<DM> his belt. 
<DM> That's what you strip from the corpse. 
<Mialee> So, who wants to go into the prison?  And do we have any black gems to
    use to send someone in there? 
<Flint> Did Mialee decapitate him? 
<DM> Lucky you didn't ruin that tunic an robe by hacking the thing to pieces,
    eh? 
<DM> yes, She did. 
<Mialee> :) 
<Flint> Nobody goes in. 
<Mialee> Do we just leave it in the cell forever? 
<Flint> We bring out the prisioners one at a time. 
<Mialee> There's only one prisoner left. 
<Mialee> Lagnaroch, or whatever his name is, in cell 4. 
<Flint> There are two. 
<DM> "NO!" shouts the sentinel in everyone's mind. "The evil threat must be
    ended forever!" 
<Mialee> Although I suppose someone could be in cell 2, and it's just not
    labeled as such. 
<Icarius> destroy the chest? 
> Pengo places a white gem on the pattern on the floor.
<Flint> WAIT! 
<Pengo> What now? 
<Pengo> You said to bring them out. :) 
<Flint> How many spells do we have left? 
<Pengo> And I wasn't going to do it until we'd finished getting ready. :) 
<Icarius> I can sleep 
<Mialee> I have all of mine, except I've used my two magic missiles I had
    memorized. 
<Jozlan> I can hold person and heal 
<Mialee> But I have mirror image and web. 
<DM> Vlix has an invisibility and 2 MM 
*** << <Flint> << I don't remember how many cures I've cast.  I don't have any
    marked off my sheet. 
*** >> <Flint> >> to Flint:  you have 2 left 
<Pengo> The only magic I have is my charm. ;) 
*** >> <Jozlan> >> to Jozlan:  you have 2 cures left. 
<Pengo> Everybody loves hobbits. 
*** >> <Jozlan> >> to Jozlan:  and this might be an excellent time to try
    chanting.  :) 
<Icarius> nasty hobbitses, we hates them we do 
<Pengo> Where have I heard that before... hmm.... 
<Jozlan> I also could chant prior to releasing what lurks within 
<Jozlan> give us an edge 
*** << <Flint> << How many hp have I gotten back from the ring since we started
    today? 
<Mialee> Good idea. 
<Mialee> I think we're good to go. 
<DM> Current Hit Points: 
<DM> Flint:   29 (29) 
<DM> Mordin:  18 (20) 
<DM> Mialee:  19 (19) 
<DM> Pengo:   20 (20) 
<DM> Icarius: 15 (16) 
<DM> Jozlan:  18 (18) 
<DM> Vlix:    14 (14) 
<DM>  
> Jozlan chants
<Mialee> Nobody's badly hurt, we have most of our spells still. 
<Pengo> Are we ready? 
<Flint> Let Jozlan finish his chant. 
<DM> Jozlan where are you standing? 
<Pengo> OK. 
<DM> Jozlan will be chanting continuously 
<Jozlan> i'll stand behind everyone else 
<Pengo> "Come forth from two." 
> Mialee gets a good grip on her sword and waits.
<DM> The gem spins, the mist forms, 
<Flint> Same plan as before? 
<Mialee> You leaping on and grabbing on? :) 
> Flint closes with the mist.
> Pengo works around to try to be behind the creature that's released.
<Flint> Yes. 
<DM> and a strange serpent like creature forms out of the mist:  It is floating
    in the air 
<Mialee> That's different. :) 
<Mialee> Go for it, Flint.  Good luck, man. :) 
<Flint> Sentinel - Is this it? 
*** Roll by Flint: 1D20 -> 14
<DM> It has a bulbuous head with 2 big eyes and britly hair 
<DM> lemme finish please. 
<DM> bristly hair 
<DM> 2 small curved horns and a 3 ft long tail 
<DM> ok, initiative. 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 1
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 3
<DM> it propells itself toward Flint, but you all have the first shot. 
*** << <Flint> << Sentinel, is this it? 
> Mialee slashes at it.
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 8
<Mialee> (figured I'd take a whack before Flint gets there ;) 
<Mialee> Go for it, Flint. :) 
*** >> <Flint> >> to Flint:  NO  :( 
<DM> miss, Mialee 
<Flint> Kill it. It's not the one. 
> Pengo slashes.
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d20 -> 13
> Mordin attacks with his Axe.
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 9
<DM> hit, Pengo 
<DM> hit, mordin 
> Flint readys his weapons.
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D8+6 -> 3 + 6 = 9
<DM> next? 
<Mordin> Joz, Ic? 
<DM> Pengo, roll damage 
<DM> Joz is chanting 
<Jozlan> i'm chanting 
<Icarius> is it too close to web it? 
<DM> you would be webbing the whole group, essentially 
<Mordin> That's okay with me. :) 
<Pengo> Is it large for the purpose of damage? 
<Icarius> what I figured 
<DM> no, it's small 
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d6 -> 6
<DM> Pengo slices off its tail, and the thing drops to the ground, dead 
*** >> <Flint> >> to Flint:  "There is yet another cell" says the Sentinel. 
    "It must be there!" 
<Pengo> That was strangely easy. :) 
<Flint> Yes. 
<Pengo> So. 
*** >> <Jozlan> >> to Jozlan:   keep on chanting...  :) 
<Icarius> one more? 
> Pengo puts a white gem on the pattern on the floor, and waits to see if
    everyone's ready.
> Flint puts his weapon away.
> Jozlan keeps chanting
> Mialee readies her sword.
<Icarius> wait 
> Pengo waits.
<Icarius> could I cast web right after you place the gem to trap whatever comes
    out? 
<Pengo> My guess is Flint will be too close for that to be a good idea. 
<Flint> You know, You'd think I'd have a chance of supprising the prisoners
    when they are released. :) 
<Mialee> You'd think. :) 
<DM> good point.  :) 
<Icarius> ok carry on 
<Pengo> Here goes. 
<Pengo> "Come forth from four." 
> Flint approaches the mist.
<DM> The gem spins, the misty cyclone forms, and out of the mist steps a huge, 
<DM> 2-headed troll! 
<DM> http://homepage.mac.com/thomascompter/Gauntlet/images/2heads.jpg 
<Pengo> Whoa. 
<DM> and it's wearing the gauntlet! 
<Pengo> There it is. :) 
<Icarius> brutish 
<Mialee> Go for it, Flint. :) 
> Flint grapples.
> DM rolls
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 1
*** Roll by Flint: 1D20 -> 1
<DM> The thing stands there, stupified. 
<Flint> So much for supprise. 
<DM> Flint slips in the blood of the ogrillon 
<DM> anyone else can do something now too. 
> Mialee attacks.
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 8
<DM> miss 
> Pengo does too.
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d20 -> 3
> Icarius casts sleep
<Pengo> Hmph. 
<Mialee> Joz?  Mordin?  Vlix? 
<DM> Mialee actually hit, thanks to Jozlan's Chanting 
<Jozlan> chanting :) 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d8 -> 1
<Mialee> Plink. 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 3
<DM> even Mordin doesn't hit with that 
<DM> (He only needs a 6) 
<Mordin> Chant harder Jozlan. :) 
<DM> Vlix will attack 
*** Roll by DM: 2d20 -> 19 + 6 = 25
<Jozlan> i'm chantin as hard as I can! 
<DM> he hits with his sword 
*** <DM> is now known as <DM12>
*** <DM12> is now known as <DM>
*** Roll by DM: 1d12 -> 3
<Mialee> Anything happen when Icarius cast sleep? 
<DM> duh 
<DM> no, this creature has more than 4 HD 
<Mialee> Ah. 
<DM> ok, 
<DM> ROUND 2:   Spell casters, what will you cast? 
<DM> --------------------------------------------- 
<Flint> Grapple. 
<Mialee> Melee. 
<Icarius> magicmissile 
<Flint> Ouch. 
<DM> Ic, I don't htink you have one of those 
<Mialee> What?  Magic Missile always hits its target. :) 
<Mialee> Hm. 
<Mialee> Although not if the caster is out of them. ;) 
<DM> Flint, what are you trying to do with your grapple? 
<Flint> Touch the gauntlet with the Sentinel. 
<Icarius> oh, guess i'll sit back and offer morale support then 
<DM> :) 
<DM> Initiative 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 2
<Flint> It's the elf swinging a long sword that has me worried. 
*** Roll by Flint: 1D6 -> 3
<DM> ok, this is where we need the drawing board. 
<Icarius> connect to server failed 
<Mialee> I'm leaving this to you, Flint. 
<Mialee> It's not running right now, let me start it. 
<DM> sorry, what was the url again? 
<Icarius> http://24.151.184.183/test.html 
> Mialee is in.
> Mordin is not.
<DM> where is the eraser? 
<DM> oh, you paint with white 
<Mialee> You can erase thw whole screen with the skull and crossbones, or paint
    in white. 
<Mialee> I'm going to add an actual eraser tool eventually. :) 
<Mialee> Still sorting out the code. :) 
<Mialee> Mordin, you may need to try it in another browser. 
<Mialee> If you're still not in. 
<DM> Ok, everyone place yourselves 
<Mialee> Which way is the troll facing? 
<DM> the exit hallway in the NW 
<Mialee> There are Pengo and Mialee. 
<Mialee> So he's facing in the direction of that arrow? 
<DM> yes 
<Mordin> Still no luck. 
<Mialee> D'oh, browser crashed, brb. :) 
<DM> http://homepage.mac.com/thomascompter/Gauntlet/undercroft.html 
<Mordin> Still getting an applet error. 
<Mialee> There we go. 
<Mialee> What version of Java do you have? 
<DM> MOrdin, try that in another window and just give me a coordinate 
<Mialee> Hm, it worked last time... strange. 
<DM> if he's running OS 9, it's going to be 1.18 
<Mialee> We're in room 9. 
<DM> if you recompiled under OS X, it's at least 1.31 
<Mialee> Yeah, that may be too early a version of Java to run this reliably;
    it's been recompiled since last time we tried it, and probably requires
    Java 1.4.2. 
<Mialee> So that's probably why it's not working for him anymore.  Hm. 
<Mialee> I'll have to look into a way to recompile targeting earlier Java
    versions. 
<Flint> Or if I can figure out a way to load OS X. :) 
<Mialee> :) 
<DM> Well, let's continue -- Joz and Ic are 10 feet away to the west. Pengo and
    Mialee and Vlix are up close and personal. and I'll assume that Flint is
    standing in front of the thing. 
<Flint> Which room? 
<Pengo> I'm going to try to backstab it when I have a chance 
<Pengo> 9. 
<DM> And I'd guess Mordin is up there working it too, right? 
<Mialee> Mialee is up there but pretty much for moral support, since Flint is
    trying to grapple it. 
<Mordin> Yes.  ...  What coordinates? 
<Pengo> Just pick a square and tell us which one they're in. :) 
<Pengo> The troll is dead center. 
<Flint> Flint is in 6, Mordin is in 2. 
<Mialee> Counting how? :) 
<Mialee> Left to right, top to bottom? 
<Mialee> Or...? 
<Flint> Now that's the question isn't it? :) 
<DM> The point is, are you attacking the thing from the front? 
<Mialee> :) 
<Flint> Left to right, top to bottom, full squares only. 
<Flint> Yes. 
<Mialee> OK... let's get it on. :) 
<DM> ok, you guys had the initiative 
> Flint grapples.
*** <Sheppy> has entered the room.
*** Roll by Flint: 1D20 -> 20
<Sheppy> My Mac just kernel panicked. :) 
<Sheppy> It's rebooting; I'm on the PC for a minute.  Sorry. :) 
<DM> well, that makes it all rather moot.  :) 
*** <Mialee> has left the room.
<Sheppy> Nice roll. 
<Sheppy> Yeah, sorry. :) 
*** <Pengo> has left the room.
<DM> The arm of the troll wearing the gauntlet swings down at Flint, and Flint
    intercepts it with the Sentinel: 
<Flint> I still know where we are. :) 
<Sheppy> :) 
<DM> There is a blinding Flash of light, and a huge thunderclap 
<DM> as your eyes clear from the daze, you see a smoking pile of ashes lying on
    the floor at Flint's feet, and The Sentinel is gone, leaving the ring that
    was part of the Sentinel on Flint's finger. 
*** <Mialee> has entered the room.
*** Room 8: Dungeon
    DM, Flint, Icarius, Jozlan, Mialee, Mordin, Sheppy
*** <Sheppy> has left the room.
<DM> ?? 
*** <Pengo> has entered the room.
<Pengo> Well! :) 
> Pengo pokes through the ashes with his foot.
<DM> You've now fully recovered from the daze caused by the flash and boom, so
    you can move about the cabin. 
<DM> Pengo's bare foot encounters something hard and stony in the ashes 
> Pengo reaches down and brushes it off to take a look.
<DM> sifting through them, you find 4 black gems 
> Pengo takes them.
<Pengo> Got anyone you'd like to lock up forever? :) 
> Pengo grins.
*** >> <Pengo> >> to Pengo:  the 4th one you pick up, you feel really wary
    about.  Hard to say why, but you just don't like thatone. 
> Pengo makes a face.
<Pengo> There's something weird about this last one. 
> Pengo holds it up and looks at it.
<DM> It LOOKS just like th others, but... 
<DM> there's something about it that makes you nervous. 
<Mialee> Hm.  The sentinel's gone?  Are we sure the Gauntlet's been destroyed? 
<Flint> Let's rest and detect magic on everything. 
<DM> The only remnant of the Sentinel is the ring on Flint's finger 
<Mialee> Any residual input from the Sentinel? 
<Flint> Yes, we are. 
<DM> no 
<Mialee> OK. 
> Pengo wonders what's up with the weird black gem.
<Pengo> Why is it different from the others?  I something truly evil hiding
    somewhere? 
<Flint> I suspect that the gems are left overs from the gauntlet, just like the
    ring is from the sentinel. 
<Pengo> Do they look like the same kind of gem that were used to put people in
    cells? 
<DM> The gems are identical in appearance, angular in form, and grey-green in
    color 
<Pengo> I thought they were black. :) 
<DM> no, those were pitch black.  These just looked black until you (and the
    DM) looked closer 
<Mialee> Oh.  These aren't the same then. 
<Jozlan> hmm 
<Mialee> I need to go AFK for about 5 minutes; we have a storm coming and I
    need to bring a couple of things into the house. 
*** <Mialee> is now known as <AFK-Mialee>
<DM> The ring is gold, with a rounded blue stone 
<Flint> Any inscription? 
<DM> no 
<Flint> Outside or in; assumming I can remove it. 
<DM> You can remove it. 
<DM> nothing inside either 
<DM> about this time, you hear some footsteps coming down the stairs. 
<Flint> Well, I would suggest resting.  Detecting for magic on all items, and
    Identifying those that are magic.  Then reporting back to the Baron. :) 
> Mordin readies his axe.
<DM> SGT Jones and 3 of his men come down the hall, in a battle ready pose 
<DM> when they see you, they relax, 
*** <AFK-Mialee> is now known as <Mialee>
<Flint> Hello SGT Jones. 
<Mialee> Yeah, resting is a good idea. 
<DM> and SGT Jones says: "We heard a huge boom, and came to see if  you needed
    help." 
<Mialee> Jones!  Good to see ya. 
<Mialee> I think we're good. 
<Flint> The good news is that the keep is safe. 
<Mialee> How are you and your men? 
<DM> "I had no idea that the stairway came down another level." 
<DM> "My men are fine, thank-you." 
<Flint> The bad news is that we ended up releaseing and killing the prisioners. 
<DM> "Is it over?"  he asks "Is the keep safe again?" 
<Mialee> I believe so. 
<Jozlan> for now 
> Mialee nods.
<Flint> We still need to clear out the rest of the first level. 
> Pengo is still a little nervous about the one grey-green stone.
<DM> "I'm relieved" he says.  "I wasn't sure that we would survive this
    onslaught.  We are in your debt." 
> Mialee smiles.
<Flint> That's okay, the Baron sent us. 
<DM> "I'm sure he will be pleased that you have regained his keep for him. " 
<Pengo> Flint, one thing you learn on the streets of Byrne -- 'tis better to be
    in someone's debt than to be in debt of someone. 
<Pengo> Er, other way around. :) 
<Pengo> Ah, never mind. :) 
<Flint> We will need some place to rest and recover before our return to him. 
> Mialee looks around.
<Mialee> This works for me. 
> Mialee sits.
<DM> SGT Jones informs you that he will post a watch for however long you need
    to rest. 
<Mialee> Thank you. 
> Mialee dozes off.
<Jozlan> zzzzzzzz 
<DM> are you doing anything before resting? 
<Flint> The 1st level still isn't secure people. 
<DM> Current Hit Points: 
<DM> Flint:   29 (29) 
<DM> Mordin:  18 (20) 
<DM> Mialee:  19 (19) 
<DM> Pengo:   20 (20) 
<DM> Icarius: 15 (16) 
<DM> Jozlan:  18 (18) 
<DM> Vlix:    14 (14) 
<Mialee> We're not on the 1st level. :) 
<Mialee> I thought you wanted to rest before clearing the first level. 
<Flint> Maybe we should make sure it's secure before resting. 
<Mialee> OK, let's. 
> Mialee gets back up.
<Mialee> Lead on, Mr. Flint. 
> Mordin leads the way.
<DM> SGT Jones offers to accompany you. 
<Mialee> Please. 
<DM> So you walk up the spiral stair to the second level... 
> Mialee settles into the marching order.
<DM> SGT Jones has his men raise both porticullis's and you head down the
    stairs to the first level. 
<DM> http://homepage.mac.com/thomascompter/Gauntlet/floor1.html 
<Mialee> That puts us in 12? 
<Mialee> If so, is that a doorway I see to the east? 
<DM> yes 
<DM> no 
<DM> no doorway to the east. 
<Mialee> OK, let's go to 11 then, there's a door to the east there. 
<DM> just the one to the south, leading to room 11 
<DM> This is the route that Flint took earlier. 
<DM> Room 11: 
<DM>      Against the northern wall is a long table with a bench beside it. 
<DM>      Several empty and broken flagons are scattered around the room. 
<DM>      There is a pile of longbows and quivers lying in a heap on the 
<DM> floor. 
<DM>      There is a locker in the NW corner 
> Pengo checks the locker for traps.
<DM> DM rolls secretly for Pengo 
<DM> Pengo finds no traps 
> Pengo opens the locker.
<DM>      There is a locker in the NW corner containing 200 arrows and a 
<DM> bundle of 25 torches. 
<Pengo> (Sheppy burns his tongue by eating too many salt & vinegar potato chips
    too fast) ;) 
<Pengo> Hm. 
> Pengo checks the door to the east for traps.
<DM> DM rolls secretly for Pengo 
<DM> Pengo finds no traps 
> Pengo opens the door.
<DM> You see the hallway running N-S 
*** Room 8: Dungeon
    DM, Flint, Icarius, Jozlan, Mialee, Mordin, Pengo
<Mialee> Are there any doors in the hallway? :) 
<DM> SGT Jones offers the comment that this level was the first layer of
    defense for the keep. 
<DM> not that you see from where you are 
<Mialee> I guess we go into the hallway and explore it. 
<DM> Normally, we would have the first line of defense on the outside
    battlemented 
<DM> platform. 
<DM> The hallway is empty, leading up to a T, and branching to the east, as
    indicated 
> Mialee doesn't see that on the map.
<DM> refresh 
<Mialee> Oh, I just refreshed again. :) 
<Mialee> OK, let's check out 12a. 
<DM> SGT Jones explains that this office was the Captain of the Guard's. 
<Flint> Has it been ransacked? 
<Mialee> How does it look? 
<DM>      The room before you is a cluttered office, with a rich mahogany 
<DM> desk in the middle, several bookcases around the walls, and a small 
<DM> fireplace 
<DM>      Laying open on the desk is a hefty tome, 
<DM> . 
<DM> That's about all you see in here. 
> Mialee looks at the tome.
<DM>      On closer examination, you see that it is bound in leather, and 
<DM> trimmed with hammered gold.  The script is written in a strong, bold 
<DM> hand. 
<DM>      Titled: "Manual of Bodily Health," the book's foreword claims 
<DM> that anyone reading this book and following the advice found therein 
<DM> would become a more robust, healthier person.   Judging by the size of 
<DM> the book, this regimen would take at least one month to complete. 
<Mordin> YES!!! 
> Mialee looks up at Jones.
<Mialee> Could we have this? 
<DM> That should be Mialee shouting, Mordin.  :) 
<Mialee> Man, I could use that. :) 
<Mialee> I'm such a wimp for a fighter. :) 
<DM> SGT Jones: "I don't see why not.  The captain won't be needing it any
    more" 
> Mialee nods solemnly and gathers up the book.
<Mordin> :) 
<Mialee> Does everything seem to be in place, Sgt.? 
<DM> "Well, no.  The captain was a meticulous man, and would never have left
    his office in such disarray.  I'm sure those foul gnolls have been in here
    messing it up. " 
> Flint inspects the bookcases and books.
> Pengo searches the room for anything of interest.
<Pengo> Oh, did anyone gather up whatever of the molotov cocktails were left
    before following me? 
<Flint> Not yet. 
<DM> There are other books dealing in warfare and fighting techniques, as well
    as a book which seems to be rules governing the military justice system of
    the Barony. 
<DM> that's about all that you find. 
<Mialee> Hm.  Think we can move on to 15 now. 
<Jozlan> lest 
<Flint> Okay. 
> Mialee gets into formation so Mordin can lead the way to 15.
<DM> SGT Jones informs you that... 
<DM> This room was used by the porters of the Keep whose job it was to 
<DM>      check the identity of visitors before admittance. 
<DM>      This small room is mostly unadorned.  There's a small fireplace 
<DM>      in the eastern wall.  In the northwest corner there's a slim arrow 
<DM>      slit. 
<Mialee> OK, let's take a look in 16 then. 
<DM> You open the door to this room, and are accosted by the smell of horse
    manure. 
<Mialee> Mmmm. :) 
<Mialee> Any horses still alive in there? 
<DM> SGT Jones explains that this was the castle's stable. 
<DM>      This is a stable, with five stalls against the eastern wall. 
<DM>      Three of these contain horses which whinny plaintively when they see 
<DM>      you. They look under-fed and ungroomed, and the room smells as if the 
<DM>      stalls have not been cleaned for many days. 
<DM>      There is a barrel of water near the door, with a bucket laying 
<DM>      next to it. 
<Mialee> Someone needs to tend to these horses. 
> Pengo opens the door to room 17 and looks inside.
<SGT Jones> I'll get someone right on it.  I'm glad to see that they
        weren't ALL eaten by those vicious gnolls. 
<Mialee> Me too. 
<DM>  
<DM>      This room has many hooks, pegs and shelves on its walls, but all 
<DM>      are bare. Everything in the room, consisting mostly of tack, harness 
<DM>      and feed, has been thrown into a large, untidy heap on the floor. 
<DM>  
> Pengo searches through the heap, looking to see if there's anything
    interesting.
<DM>      It takes about 10 minutes to sort through all the junk, but you 
<DM>      find 20 sacks of oats, six saddles, 10 bridles, eight saddlebags, two 
<DM>      sets of leather barding, a set of chain barding, 12 saddle blankets, a 
<DM>      small anvil, a small portable forge and bellows, blacksmith's tools, 
<DM>      horseshoes, nails, four sacks of charcoal, leather-working tools, 
<DM>      combs, brushes, saddlesoap and horse liniment. 
<Pengo> Nothing we need, but it should help the soldiers tend to the horses. 
<Mialee> I think we're good to go get some rest. 
<Flint> SGT Jones, where is the feed kept? 
<Pengo> Uh, we just found some. :) 
<Pengo> I assume that's what the 20 sacks of oats are. :) 
<Flint> It's not enouth for an extented time, like a siege. 
<DM> "Yes, master dwarf,  these animals were well cared for before the attack." 
<Flint> We haven't missed any store rooms have we? 
<DM> "Ummmm, " says SGT Jones; "We were expecting a provision caravan before
    winter hit, but it didn't arrive before the attack of the gnolls." 
<DM> </tapdance> 
<Flint> <EG> LOL 
<Mialee> So... are we ready to go get some reast? 
<Mialee> rest 
<Flint> Somebody grew up on a farm. 
<DM> I think so (that you're ready to rest. :) 
<Jozlan> we just need to identify magic stuff then? 
<Flint> Yes, let's head upstaire and fine a good room to rest. 
<Mialee> Let's go up to where the cocktails are and gather them up; we can rest
    there. 
<Flint> That works for me. 
<Mialee> Wow.  That's serious lightning. 
<DM> You get back to the main defense room.  It's getting pretty smelly in
    there, what with all the decomposing bodies laying around, but you can
    rest. 
> Mialee heads up the stairs to do that.
> Pengo gathers up the cocktails and puts them in his bag.
<Pengo> And lies down to rest. 
> Mialee rests
<DM> SGT Jones gives instructions to his men, and you sleep peacefully until
    the next morning. 
> Mialee rememorizes two magic missiles.
<DM> Let me know if anyone wants to adjust their normal load of spells. 
<Mialee> I'm going with identify, read magic, MM x2, and my regular level 2
    spells. 
> Flint Casts cl on the injured.
<DM> I assume that was last night, FLint 
<Flint> Might as well use them before resting. 
<DM> Current Hit Points: 
<DM> Flint:   29 (29) 
<DM> Mordin:  20 (20) 
<DM> Mialee:  19 (19) 
<DM> Pengo:   20 (20) 
<DM> Icarius: 16 (16) 
<DM> Jozlan:  18 (18) 
<DM> Vlix:    14 (14) 
<Mialee> Looks good. 
<DM> You wake refreshed 
<Mialee> Well.  I think it's time we return to the Baron. 
<Mialee> I'm sure he'll be sending reinforcements soon. 
<Icarius> sounds good 
<Flint> We should Identify things while we are here. 
<Flint> We have a secure place to rest and recover. 
<DM> SGT Jones: "I gather that you will inform the Baron of our plight, and let
    him know that we will still be hard-pressed to defend the keep with so few
    men?" 
<Flint> Yes, rest assured SGT Jones.  And we will carry back any report you
    might wish to make to your superiors. 
<Mialee> Wow, that one was very close. 
<Mialee> I heard the streamer go up that time. :) 
<DM> "Thank-you." 
<DM> So, what next? 
<Mialee> Back to the Baron. 
<Mialee> Definitely, back to the Baron. 
<DM> Ok... what does anyone else think?  Jozlan, Icarius? 
<Pengo> Sounds good to me. 
<Jozlan> I think our work here is done 
<DM> Ok, so you set out down the road toward Gannaway.  The soldiers wave
    goodbye as you depart. 
<Flint> Did SGT Jones give us a message to deliver? 
<Mialee> Other than the request for reinforcements. :) 
<Mialee> ? 
<DM> Yes, before you departed, he handed you a sealed packet for the baron. 
<Mialee> Ah. 
<Mialee> (trudge, trudge, happily trudge toward home) 
<DM> It's getting late in the year, and the wind is bitingly cold. 
<Flint> Where did we leave the horses? 
<DM> You had horses? 
<DM> Or do you mean the ones in the keep? 
<Mialee> I didn't think we had any. 
<Flint> Okay. 
<DM> As evening starts to settle, you come around a bend in the road, and are
    suddenly facing a huge troll!  (One headed this time) 
<DM> roll for surprise: 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 2
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 5
<Icarius> bring it on 
<DM> ROUND 1:   Spell casters, what will you cast? 
<DM> --------------------------------------------- 
<Mialee> Hm, nothing. 
<Flint> Melee 
<Icarius> magic missile 
<DM> Initiative 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 6
*** Roll by Flint: 1D6 -> 1
<Flint> Some body else better start rolling initiative. :) 
<DM> ok, based on the march order, the troll will attack Flint and Mordin 
<Mialee> :) 
<DM> with it's teeth at Mordin: 
*** Roll by DM: 1d20 -> 14
*** Roll by DM: 2d6 -> 4 + 6 = 10
<DM> 10 dam on Mordin 
<DM> and one each claw at FLint and Mordin 
*** Roll by DM: 2d20 -> 1 + 2 = 3
<DM> misses 
<Flint> He hit AC 1 with a 14?!! 
<DM> your turn 
<DM> oops!  I Forgot that you get a -4 AC against them 
> Mialee swings.
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 9
<DM> so he missed 
> Pengo slashes at it.
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d20 -> 11
*** Roll by Flint: 1D20 -> 8
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 1
<DM> all missed 
<DM> Vlix attacks 
<Mialee> Vlix? 
<Mialee> Ah :) 
*** Roll by DM: 2d20 -> 18 + 3 = 21
> Jozlan attacks
*** Roll by DM: 1d12 -> 12
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d20 -> 20
<Jozlan> that's how to play whack-a-troll 
<Mialee> Go Vlix, go Joz :) 
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d8 -> 3
> Mordin takes note.
<DM> where was the MM? 
*** Roll by Icarius: 1d4+4 -> 1 + 4 = 5
<DM> that should have been 2d4+2 
<DM> roll again 
*** Roll by Icarius: 2d4+2 -> 2 + 3 = 5 + 2 = 7
<DM> ROUND 2:   Spell casters, what will you cast? 
<DM> --------------------------------------------- 
<Flint> Melee 
<Mialee> Melee. 
<Icarius> nothing 
<DM> Initiative 
*** Roll by DM: 1d6 -> 4
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d6 -> 2
<Mialee> Bah :) 
*** Roll by DM: 3d6 -> 2 + 6 + 1 = 9
<DM> claws at Vlix and Mordin, Teeth at Flint 
*** Roll by DM: 3d20 -> 5 + 6 + 16 = 27
<DM> ALL MISS! 
> Mialee swings.
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d20 -> 8
> Jozlan bashes
> Pengo attacks.
*** Roll by Jozlan: 1d20 -> 1
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d20 -> 17
*** Roll by Flint: 1D20 -> 6
*** Roll by Pengo: 1d6 -> 6
<Pengo> Pop! :) 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D20 -> 16
<DM> hits, Mordin 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D8+6 -> 3 + 6 = 9
<DM> Mordin's mighty blow drops the filthy creature in its tracks. 
<DM> of course, it is still squirming around. 
<Jozlan> better decapitate it 
<DM> the pieces and parts crawling back together 
<Pengo> Step back. 
<Jozlan> drop a cocktail on it 
> Jozlan steps back
> Pengo stands back from it, lights a cocktail, and throws it on.
<DM> The flames rise higher than you would think natural for a little oil, and
    the the skin of the creature hisses and pops, and lets off the most
    disgusting smell 
<DM> BTW, Mordin, recall that on even rounds, you should hit first and last. 
> DM makes a note that a single troll is no longer a challenge for the party.
<Mialee> Heh 
<Mialee> Shall we continue onward toward home? 
<DM> You set a watch for the night, and settle in for a rest. 
<Mialee> Or that. :) 
<DM> nothing untoward happens overnight, and you waken the next day, and make
    your way all the way to Kusnir. 
*** << <Mordin> << I still have to wait on the initiative foll for my first
    attack though. 
<DM> If there's nothing you want to do in Kusnir.... 
<Mialee> I can't think of anything. 
<Jozlan> me neither 
<Mialee> We need to get to the Baron fast, if he's going to have any chance of
    getting more troops to the Keep before winter. 
<Flint> Yes. 
<DM> after resting in a real bed in a real inn, you continue on your journey,
    and after a few more days, arrive back in Byrne! 
<Mialee> If it's a reasonable time of day, we go directly to see the Baron. 
<Mialee> If not, we go home for some sleep first. :) 
<DM> Sure, and he greets you with gladness, very happy to see your return. 
<Mialee> Baron, we return with news. 
<Mialee> The Keep is once again under the control of your soldiers, but their
    numbers are few, and reinforcements are direly needed. 
<DM> He accepts the news of the attack on the keep silently, his eyes darkening
    when he hears of the number of casualties. 
*** <DM> is now known as <Baron>
<Baron> I am glad to see you once more returned safely to our city. 
<Baron> Your news is distressing to say the least, but I will post a garrison
    back to the keep immediately 
<Baron> I appreciate your service to the people of my barony. 
<Mialee> It is an honor to be able to help. 
<Baron> I hope that you will be able to take some time to relax here for a
    while. 
<Mialee> As do we. 
<Baron> I'm sure that Paulinus will want to do some catching up with his old
    apprentice, but Lord Darcy will show the rest of you out. 
*** Unknown command: /d
*** <Baron> is now known as <DM>
> Mialee nods and turns to go.
<DM> You are escorted to the gate, and return to your townhouse. 
<DM> James is there, to greet you on your arrival. 
<Mialee> Everything's in order, I presume, Smithson? 
> Mialee needs a hot bath.
<DM> Very well, madam.  Had I known of your arrival, I'd have had some more
    servants on hand, but for the time being, I will be glad to serve you in
    any way I can. 
<Mialee> Very good, James.  We didn't know when we'd be back. 
> Pengo heaves all his stuff onto the floor and stretches his weary back.
<DM> I'll just hunt up some food for you all. I'm sure you're hungry after your
    journey. 
<DM> He leaves the room, and heads for the kitchen. 
<DM> And now I need to take about a 15 minute break to feed my dog and cat and
    wife and myself.  :) 
<Icarius> :) 
*** <DM> is now known as <AFK-DM>
<Mialee> :) 
<Mialee> Think I'll go make a sandwich. 
*** <Mialee> is now known as <AFK-Mialee>
<AFK-DM> back at 19:35 Eastern. 
<Flint> It's interesting the order you used. :) 
*** <Flint> is now known as <AFK-Flint>
*** <AFK-Mialee> is now known as <Mialee>
<Mialee> Yeah, it is :) 
> Mialee grabs a couple of crackers... Sarah's cooking in a while. :)
*** <AFK-Flint> is now known as <Flint>
*** <AFK-DM> is now known as <DM>
<Flint> It would be best to keep a complete staff in the house full time. 
<Mialee> OK. 
<Mialee> Well, now's when we relax, identify all our items, etc. :) 
<Mialee> And sell the stuff we don't want to keep. :) 
<Flint> 1.  We can afford it. 
<Flint> 2.  It makes Smithson's job much easier. 
<Mialee> Yes, certainly. 
<Flint> 3.  It cuts down on the chance of a plant infiltrating the staff. 
<DM> ok, it will probably up the price from 125/month to 250/month, plus
    Smithson's 500/month. 
<Mialee> That's fine. 
<Mialee> If we run low on cash, we can sell the hobbit. 
> Mialee chucles.
<Mialee> chuckles. 
<Pengo> Hmph. 
<Mialee> So, we'll do that, then go through our stuff and see what all we have. 
<DM> You settle in comfortably as the Winter comes on, spending time as you see
    fit.  Nothing interesting will happen before Yule, I'd bet, so what ever
    you want to do, you'll have time to do it. 
<Mialee> Well, since we have the time, let's definitely go through all our
    stuff, detect magic, and identify the stuff that shows up as magic. 
<DM> What do you want to identify? 
<DM> ok, 
<Mialee> If we have all winter, we might as well cover everything.  Eh? 
<DM> You know the longsword and the shortsword that you found in the
    castellan's chamber were magical, in addition to the bow and arrows 
<Flint> Yes. 
<Mialee> Before doing that, I want to use that book to toughen up a bit. :) 
<DM> The robe that the ogrillon was wearing was magical, but the tunic was not. 
<Flint> That will take a month. 
<DM> right 
<Mialee> OK, let's do the detect/ID first, then I'll do the regimen. 
<DM> but it might be worth it.  Mialee is not the only one that can id 
<Mialee> Good point.  Yeah, let's have the other(s) do iding while I work out.
    :) 
<DM> ONce you start that, you pretty much have to ONLY that for a full month. 
<Flint> If the clerics detect and the other MU's ID, Mialee can study. 
<Pengo> Yes. 
<Mialee> Yeah, let's do that. 
<Mialee> I'll devote myself to the training regimen for a month, while the
    others work on going through the stuff.  We really need me to toughen up. 
<DM> ok, give me a second to tally up. 
<Jozlan> we can all toughen up together, right 
*** <DMsAccountant> has entered the room.
<DMsAccountant> Greetings 
<Mialee> Oof :) 
<DMsAccountant> After sorting through everyting, and Detecting Magic on
    everything that you brought back, you find that the following items are
    magical: 
<DMsAccountant>  
<DMsAccountant> Bag of Holding (15 lbs, capacity 500 lbs, 70 cubic feet) 
<DMsAccountant>  
<DMsAccountant> Bracelet of Swimming 
<DMsAccountant>  
<DMsAccountant> pouch of unusual-smelling pipe-weed 
<DMsAccountant>  
<DMsAccountant> From the Weapon Rack: Longsword, 
<DMsAccountant> Short Sword 
<DMsAccountant> Longbow w/ 25  arrows. 
<DMsAccountant> Potion of Invulnerability(2 doses), 
<DMsAccountant> Scroll of Protection from Demons. 
<DMsAccountant> 2 magic quills of ink-storing 
<DMsAccountant> Robe of Useful Items 
<DMsAccountant>  
<DMsAccountant> Was there anything I might have forgotten that sticks in your
    mind? 
<Mialee> Hm. 
<Flint> The gems from the gauntlet, the ring from the sentinel, the Garnet
    buttons. 
<Mialee> Yeah. 
<Mialee> Robe of Useful Items? :) 
<Jozlan> what does the pipe-weed smell like? 
<Flint> Yes.  It can be very handy. 
<DM> Ahh, yes, those gems, but not the buttons, are magical. 
<Mialee> OK, while I do my thing, Icarius and/or Vlix should identify that
    stuff. 
<Flint> The ring? 
<Mialee> Is thing Sentinel ring magical? 
<DM> Yes, the Sentinel Ring, and the gauntlet gems are magical 
<DM> There was also the ring that was found in the box in the chest. 
<Mialee> Ah, yeah. 
<DM> I'll assume that you took with you the small chest, but not the big chest
    that was its pair. 
<Mialee> Yeah. :) 
*** <reFlint> has entered the room.
<DMsAccountant> The total value of the non-magical stuff that you fenced...
    err, sold to specialty buyers, was: 19622 gp. 
<Mialee> Heh. 
*** <reMordin> has entered the room.
*** <Flint> has left the room.
*** <Mordin> has left the room.
<Mialee> Nice. :) 
*** <reFlint> is now known as <Flint>
> Mialee follows her regimen.
*** <reMordin> is now known as <Mordin>
<Flint> I missed the answer about the Sentinel's ring. 
<Mialee> Magical. 
<Flint> I hate my ISP. 
<Mialee> :) 
> Pengo wonders what an isp is.
<DM> So are you going to ID all of the magic Items? 
<Flint> Yes. 
<Mialee> Yes, that's the plan. 
<Mialee> While Mialee gets buff. ;) 
<DM> ok, it takes a total of 31 castings of the Identify Spell to ID the 11
    items. 
<DM> Anyone have written down how many pearls you already had? 
<Mialee> We bought a bunch last time.  I thought I wrote it down.  It was
    either 12 or 20. 
<Mialee> I named a number, Flint said we could afford more, we bought more. :) 
<DM> Let's say 20 pearls.  I think the 12 was the number of spell levels of ink
    you had left. 
<Mialee> OK. 
<Flint> I don't remember that, but it sounds like me. :) 
<DM> so you still need 11 more to get even. so we'll take that off the 19622: 
    18522 
<DM> left 
<Mialee> OK. 
<DM> The bag of holding I'm sure you understand 
<Flint> And we better stock up on some more, if possible. 
<Mialee> Yeah :) 
<DM> The bracelet of swimming is the belt that you took off the tiny creature
    in the ant's place 
<DM> it allows the user to swim well and fast, but doesn't give water breathing
    capability 
<Pengo> That's the one I'm wearing? 
<DM> The unusual pipeweed will allow a magic-user that smokes to be able to do
    what the cook did to you all:  Throw a pipe full of the stuff and cast an
    affect normal fires to create the noxious smoke. 
<DM> if you want, pengo  :) 
<Pengo> OK :) 
<Pengo> If someone else wants it, speak up. :) 
<Pengo> Since I'm sort of the running anyway, with the feather falling, and the
    climbing skill, figured it makes sense. :) 
<Mialee> Icarius might want the pipe-weed. 
<DM> The longsword, as you might have guessed from the motif on the scabbard,
    is magicked to provide not only attack bonuses to its wielder, but also
    protection from melee combat attacks. 
   
<Flint> A Defender? 
<Mialee> Wow. 
<DM> The short sword is particularly effective against webs and web-slinging
    creatures. 
s<Mialee> Those both sound nice. 
<DM> Re: Defender:  You could call it that, but unlike some of the famous ones
    you might have heard of, this  opne does NOT allow the wielder to choose
    how much to put into on or the other; it is fixed. 
<Icarius> i'll take the pip weed 
<DM> The longbow is just really good and accurate, and adds bonuses to any
    arrow it fires, but the special arrows, when fired from that bow, become
    flaming arrows. 
<Mialee> Sweet. 
<Mialee> I'll keep those. 
<Mialee> Who wants the swords? 
<DM> The ring from the box offers its wearer extra protection from almost
    anything. 
<Mialee> I already have a magical sword, but this new one sounds better. :) 
*** >> <Mialee> >> to Mialee:  recall that yours is particularly powerful
    against undead. 
*** << <Mialee> << True. 
<Mialee> Hm... I suppose I'll hang onto this one. 
<Mialee> OK, so who wants the swords and the ring? 
<Flint> Let's see what else is here. 
<DM> The quills allow one to store an entire bottle of ink in them, eliminating
    the need to go back to the well every few words.  This will triple the
    writing speed of anyone using them 
<Mialee> Oh yeah, we haven't seen the Sentinel ring or the strange gems. 
<Mialee> Sweet. 
<DM> The robe has a bunch of patches on the inside that became apparent during
    the ID process. 
<Mialee> Is there stuff in them? 
<DM> I'll get to that in the BB sometime.  It will take me too long to detail
    here. 
<Mialee> OK. 
<Flint> That's patches, not pouches. :) 
<Mialee> Right, right. 
<DM> The ring from the sentinel will give FLint and only Flint the permanent
    effect of a Shield spell. 
<Mialee> Cool. 
<Mialee> I guess Flint should keep that one. ;) 
<Flint> I guess I'll take that one. :) 
<DM> Vlix ID'd the gems from the gauntlet, and reports that the first one will
    allow the owner to regnerate damage, much as a ring of regeneration would. 
<DM> #2 will allow the owner to become very charismatic when dealing with those
    of his own ethical direction. 
<DM> #3 provides immunity to charm and suggestion spells 
<DM> #4, for some reason, he couldn't identify. 
<Mialee> Is that a one shot thing per, or is it just a matter of carrying it
    around or putting it in a piece of jewelry? 
<DM> he was mildly put off by it, as well.  His dislike for it wasn't as strong
    as Pengo's but it was there nonetheless. 
<Pengo> That last one gives me the heebie-jeebies. 
<Flint> May I see that last one? 
<DM> putting it into a piece of jewelry would be a convenient way to carry it. 
> Pengo gives it to Flint.
<DM> Sure, Vlix hands the last one to Flint. 
<Flint> |examines the stone. 
*** >> <Flint> >> to Flint:  you also take an inexplicable dislike to it. 
<Pengo> We should get the first three, anyway, set into some kind of jewelry. 
<Pengo> Perhaps that last one just doesn't like me. :) 
> Flint returns the stone.
<Flint> It is very evil. 
<Pengo> Yeah, I don't like it. 
<Mialee> How goes my workout plan? :) 
<Flint> Those who haven't chosen a magic item, who wants what? 
<Pengo> Well, once we get those three stones set, I propose that Vlix get the
    regeneration, as he doesn't last long in a fight. 
<Icarius> i'd like the charm immunity stone 
<DM> The workout plan is going well, and you find that your Constitution has
    increased to 9! 
<Mialee> :) 
<Mordin> I'd like the other ring. 
<DM> But you find that as you finished reading the book, all the writing faded
    from the pages. 
<Mialee> Ah. 
<Mialee> Well, at least I won't go into a coma every time I cast identify
    anymore. :) 
<Pengo> I think I'll take that short sword. 
<Flint> Instead of the bracelet? 
<Pengo> Hm, no, not instead of the bracelet.  Never mind. 
> Pengo puts it back sheepishly.
<Mialee> Is there anyone left who hasn't taken something.  Joz is it, I think. 
<Jozlan> right, I don't know if there's anything useful for me 
<Mialee> Hm, can I have the stone that increases charisma? 
<Flint> Joz and Vlix 
<Mialee> Since I seem to be the one who talks to people we encounter a lot of
    the time, might be helpful. 
<Mialee> Assuming Vlix and Joz don't want it, of course. 
> Mialee waits.
<DM> Vlix doesn't 
> Mialee takes it, then.
<Flint> The regeneration stone might be good for Jozlan. 
<Mialee> Hm, yeah, him or Vlix. 
<Flint> That way both clerics are self healing :) 
<Mialee> :) 
> Mialee will get the stone of charisma set into a bracelet.
<Jozlan> next time we find one, i'll take it then :) 
<Flint> There is also the long sword, the short sword, and the robe. 
<Mialee> Well, until we know what the robe's got up its sleeve (hahaha), I
    don't know who should take it. 
<Mialee> I'm kind of inclined at the moment to give it to Icarius. 
<Flint> Can Vlix use a longsword? 
<DM> Vlix doesn't feel he needs the stone.  In fact, he informs the group that
    he feels uncomfortable in the city, and feels the need to get out and under
    the night sky. 
<Mialee> OK, Vlix.  Take care, see you later, etc. 
<Mialee> OK, give it to Joz then. 
<DM> He thanks you for your companionship, and bids you good luck in all your
    future endeavors. 
<Jozlan> ok, thanks sir! 
<Mialee> Thank you, as well, Vlix. 
<DM> Then he departs, saying that he might see you again in the future. 
<Flint> Looks like we are going to loose Vlix for a while. :( 
<Mialee> Hm.  So.  Jozlan can have the stone of regeneration... 
<DM> You just never know when you might run into him again. 
<Mialee> I'm inclined to store the two swords here for the time being, in case
    we decide we need them later. 
<Mialee> As for the robe, let's see what it can do, then decide who should take
    it. 
<DMsAccountant> And now, for what I'm sure you've all been waiting for,
    Experience Points! 
<DMsAccountant> You earned a total of 39171 x.p. on this adventure, and after
    bonuses, it looks like this: 
<DMsAccountant>  
<DMsAccountant>                 Mialee   Icarius  Flint   Jozlan    Mordin  
    Pengo    Vlix 
<DMsAccountant> Total  x.p. 
<DMsAccountant> Per Class        3013    6629     3013    6629       6629   
    6629     1507 
<DMsAccountant>  
<DMsAccountant> x.p. Needed to 
<DMsAccountant> gain a level    *2348*   11004    5348    10580     *6504*  
    8504     4961 
<DMsAccountant>  
<DMsAccountant>  
<DMsAccountant> So Mordin and Mialee gain a level! 
<DMsAccountant> Mialee also gets the 100 x.p. bonus for figuring out the
    riddle. :) 
<DMsAccountant>  
<DMsAccountant> Since Flint ALMOST correctly used the special power in combat,
    he gets 100 x.p. as well. 
<Jozlan> :) 
<Mialee> Does Mialee rise only as a magic-user? 
<DM> yes 
<Mialee> I assume so, but I don't know for sure. 
<DM> She still needs 6557 to go up as a ftr 
<Mialee> Cool.  Did that 3013 include the 100 xp bonus, or not? 
<Mialee> If not, I add an extra 50 per class, right? 
<DM> no, but that was applied to the MU, as you requested 
<Mialee> OK, good. 
<Mialee> Got it. 
<Mialee> Cool, so Mialee is now a level 4 MU.  :) 
<Flint> Was my 100 xp in the total? 
<Mialee> Means I get to bump my numbers some. :) 
<DM> no - which class do you want it applied to? 
<Flint> split it. 
<Mialee> What do I need to roll to deal with my bump? 
<DM> for hit points?  1d4/2, rounding up. 
<Flint>   1d4 +4 for a cure light. :) 
*** Roll by Mialee: 1d4 -> 3
<Mialee> So 2. 
<Mialee> And how does this affect the number of spells I can memorize? 
<Mialee> Flint -- you're funny ;D 
<Flint> Is it Okay to split the 100 xp? 
<DMsAccountant> Yes, Flint 
<DMsAccountant> Number of Magic spells which can be memorized:Level:# of Spells 
<DMsAccountant> 13Mialee can memorize twice as many 1st and 2d level spells,
    because of her Ring of Wizardry 
<DMsAccountant> 22 
<Mialee> Hm? 
<DMsAccountant> that was ugly 
<Mialee> Yes. :) 
<Mialee> I have no idea what that meant. :) 
<DMsAccountant> 6 and 4 
<Mialee> OK. 
> Flint checks the accountant for any sharp pointed objects.
<Mialee> So 3 and 2, doubled? 
<DMsAccountant> yes 
<Mialee> Sweet. :) 
*** Roll by Mordin: 1D10+1 -> 1 + 1 = 2
<DM> ugh 
<Mordin> That hurt. 
<Mialee> So... does this mean we're done for the night? 
<DM> you get a con bonus though, right? 
<Mialee> That was a bummer of a roll. 
<Mordin> That was the con bonus. 
<DM> Pretty much, Mialee.  Are you done figuring out who gets what? 
<Mialee> I think so.  The rest pretty much needs to wait until we get the
    details on the robe. 
*** <Pengo> has left the room.
<Flint> What did Ic get besides the pipe weed? 
<Mialee> I think Ic probably should take the robe. 
<Icarius> the ring of stone #3 
<Mialee> Unless the only things it'll give him are things he can't use. :) 
<Mialee> Yeah, that's right. 
<Icarius> resist charisma 
<DM> alright.  It's going to be a while before the next session, what with
    vacations adn KFests and such 
<Mialee> True.  We can do some in-between stuff in the board though. 
<DM> right. 
<Mialee> Like getting jewelry made of these stones, etc. 
<DM> So Mordin now has 22 hp and Mialee has 21. 
<Mialee> Yeah. 
<Mialee> With that, I need to pop out of here for a bit; my dinner is ready. 
    I'll be back in A2 in a while. :) 
*** <Mialee> has left the room.
<DM> I'm glad you guys finished this one tonight, so it wasn't hanging for a
    month or so 
<Flint> Pretty bad for a 5th level fighter. :( 
<DM> yeah.  :( 
<DM> but he does cut a swath.  :) 
<Flint> Well at least the ring of protection will help. 
<DM> could someone summarize the splitout for me? 
<DM> ================================================ 
<Flint> Bracelet of swimming - Pengo. 
<Flint> Pipe Weed - Icarius. 
<Flint> Long bow and arrows     - Mialee 
<Flint> Ring of protection        - Mordin. 
<Flint> Ring of shielding         - Flint. 
<Flint> Stone of Regeneration       - Jozlan 
<Flint> Stone of chrasma             - Mialee 
<Flint> Stone, Protection from charm    - Icarius. 
<Flint> ========================================================= 
<Flint> Unclaimed: 
<Flint>    Long sword 
<Flint> Short sword 
<Flint>    Quills of ink storing. 
<DM> thanks. 
<Flint>    Robe of useful items. 
<Flint> Vlix has the evil stone. 
<Flint> I took notes, otherwise I don't think Jozlan and Icarius would have
    chosen anything :( 
<Flint> It doesn't look good in 80. 
<DMA> oh well 
<DMA> Name          Mialee   Icarius  Jozlan     Flint   Mordin   Pengo 
<DMA> Race           Elf      Human   Human     Dwarf    Dwarf   Halfling 
<DMA> Class        FTR/MU       MU    Cleric    FTR/CLR  Fighter   Thief 
<DMA> Level          4\4        4       5        4\4       5       5 
<DMA> X.P.       11444\10766  18126   23550  11494\10716 18126    18126 
<DMA> x.p. to 
<DMA> next level  6557\11735  4375    3951    6507\2285  16875    1875 
<DMA>  
================================================================
              Here Ends the tale of the Gauntlet
================================================================
  Go to the next adventure